What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

doncb
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

Post by doncb »

I think the "NRA" rating for the so called pro 2nd amendment legislators should be changed to an F. Now they'll pee on our backs and tell us it's raining.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by paperchunker »

The Legislature could convene on Jan 2nd, immediately go into recess until May 30th and then adjourn. If they did absolutely nothing for 140 days 95% would get re-elected.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

While I'm frustrated with the inaction on gun rights, one thing I love about Texas is the SHORT legislative sessions every two years. No one's life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session. Wish we could pay Congress to go home for 18 months of every Congress. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

ScottDLS wrote:While I'm frustrated with the inaction on gun rights, one thing I love about Texas is the SHORT legislative sessions every two years. No one's life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session. Wish we could pay Congress to go home for 18 months of every Congress. :evil2:
:iagree:
I do love this about Texas. The Federal Legislature should take a hint -- 24/7/365 legislative sessions are bad IMHO.
If we don't have any large steps forward in this session, and we don't have any small steps back, then I'm not going to get out my pitchforks and torches this year. I'll be disappointed for sure...

But I definitely want to see some movement on an HB560 type bill in the next session. There's simply no reason that kind of bill doesn't see the light of day and make it to the Governor's desk.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

apostate

Post by apostate »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:But I definitely want to see some movement on an HB560 type bill in the next session. There's simply no reason that kind of bill doesn't see the light of day and make it to the Governor's desk.
There are many reasons why, and they all supported Straus for Speaker.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:While I'm frustrated with the inaction on gun rights, one thing I love about Texas is the SHORT legislative sessions every two years. No one's life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session. Wish we could pay Congress to go home for 18 months of every Congress. :evil2:
I do love this about Texas. The Federal Legislature should take a hint -- 24/7/365 legislative sessions are bad IMHO.
If we don't have any large steps forward in this session, and we don't have any small steps back, then I'm not going to get out my pitchforks and torches this year. I'll be disappointed for sure...

But I definitely want to see some movement on an HB560 type bill in the next session. There's simply no reason that kind of bill doesn't see the light of day and make it to the Governor's desk.
I agree - if there are no last minute anti-gun bills passed this session has been a draw. Lowering the LTC fee to $40 was important and necessary.

Disappointed that the NRA/TSRA used so much political capital on Constitutional Carry instead of expanding the rights of LTC holders as a "progressive" means of rolling back restrictive gun laws. Apparently Open Carry Texas and Mr. Holcomb have greater influence than I thought.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

bblhd672 wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:

I agree - if there are no last minute anti-gun bills passed this session has been a draw. Lowering the LTC fee to $40 was important and necessary.

Disappointed that the NRA/TSRA used so much political capital on Constitutional Carry instead of expanding the rights of LTC holders as a "progressive" means of rolling back restrictive gun laws. Apparently Open Carry Texas and Mr. Holcomb have greater influence than I thought.
I have a really hard time calling this session a draw. It was a pathetic loss! We may not see a more favorable ratio (r's/d's) in our lifetimes. With the ever expanding influence of the more liberal urban centers in this state, the state will be moving left, not right. Every pro gun bill that languishes in committee while we have a supermajority of "conservatives" in both chambers is a lost opportunity.

There was also a HB360 type bill last session that went no where. I'm out of patience hoping for "next session".
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

I'm sure constitutional carry will dominate the next session regardless of whether 1911 manages to pass. There will continue to be a push for expand unlicensed 'rights' at the expense of any initiative around off limits locations. My last ditch hope this cycle had been an amendment to 1911 somehow removing sports venues and bars.

Concur though that we'll not likely see super majorities like this again for the GOP, so i fear the window is closing for any significant favorable handgun law changes.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

ralewis wrote:I'm sure constitutional carry will dominate the next session regardless of whether 1911 manages to pass. There will continue to be a push for expand unlicensed 'rights' at the expense of any initiative around off limits locations. My last ditch hope this cycle had been an amendment to 1911 somehow removing sports venues and bars.
Didn't HB1911 get quietly killed in the calendar commie at the request of Straus?
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1911
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

I'm lost right now....I can't even figure out which calendar they're on. They should be following a calendar, they aren't on anything dated today.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Wolverine wrote:
ralewis wrote:I'm sure constitutional carry will dominate the next session regardless of whether 1911 manages to pass. There will continue to be a push for expand unlicensed 'rights' at the expense of any initiative around off limits locations. My last ditch hope this cycle had been an amendment to 1911 somehow removing sports venues and bars.
Didn't HB1911 get quietly killed in the calendar commie at the request of Straus?
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1911
That's why I said: HAD been... I wasn't a huge fan of the bill anyway, but if some good came out of it maybe we'd see some helpful amendments.

"My last ditch hope this cycle had been an amendment to 1911 somehow removing sports venues and bars. "

doncb

Post by doncb »

bblhd672 wrote:..... Lowering the LTC fee to $40 was important and necessary.
Lowering the fee was neither important or necessary. There were much more important and necessary things than giving everyone a discount. If someone wants a discount maybe the state should put something on Groupon.com.

I fear that we have seen the zenith of Republican party control and can only look forward to our rights being taken away. I'll probably get a license from another state so I can still enjoy the lack of rights all Texas LTC holders enjoy without giving my money to the State. Unfortunately, next election I'll be forced to hold my nose and try to not throw up when i vote for the RINO party. :ack:
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

doncb wrote:
Lowering the fee was neither important or necessary. There were much more important and necessary things than giving everyone a discount. If someone wants a discount maybe the state should put something on Groupon.com.

I fear that we have seen the zenith of Republican party control and can only look forward to our rights being taken away. I'll probably get a license from another state so I can still enjoy the lack of rights all Texas LTC holders enjoy without giving my money to the State. Unfortunately, next election I'll be forced to hold my nose and try to not throw up when i vote for the RINO party. :ack:

If you're happy with the results this year, vote for them. If you're not happy, why do you want more of the same?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

tbrown wrote:
doncb wrote:

If you're happy with the results this year, vote for them. If you're not happy, why do you want more of the same?
Keep in mind the session is not over and staff for many people read this forum so please do not make it more difficult and costly to get what little we have a chance to see passed over the finish line. If your elected official didn't vote your way on your bill then don't vote for them. I do ask that you choose carefully about voting against them because they are an incumbent.

Many of our elected officials never got a chance to vote one way or another on a bill but if your official is on the calendars committee or a committee that killed your bill then I suggest having a heart to heart talk with them after the session is over so they understand why you are so unhappy. Once the session is over you will find them much easier to catch in person.

I think the sentiments against many officials is well deserved but it's not yet time to voice them. As a rule I recommend not shooting one's self in the foot by hurting the chances of pro-gun bills that still have a chance because more important bills were taken out behind the barn and executed with one in the back of the head. Am I unhappy, yes. Do I plan to do something about it? Yes. Am I going to go on a tear and hurt the chances of pro gun bills that are still in play? No.

Anger is understandable but don't loose your cool and go make things easier for our opponents. HB375 not getting out of committee is an example of people getting angry hurting hurting their bill. Watkin's foot in the door stunt is still eating political capital and he knows it. I understand that he even apologized to Pancho Nevarez during committee testimony this session.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Suppose somebody said they would hold their nose and try to not throw up when they bought a Chevy.

Suppose I suggested that if they're happy with their current Chevy, go ahead and buy another, but if they're not happy then why would they choose more of the same?

Why would you think I was angry if I gave that advice?

It's not personal. It's business.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”