Kansas Professor resigning - Campus Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Kansas Professor resigning - Campus Carry

Post by MeMelYup »

John Galt wrote:I am all for campus carry, but also think that some training is a good thing.
It should be taught in school. If it were taught in school it would reduce the amount of child firearm accidents.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

MeMelYup wrote:
John Galt wrote:I am all for campus carry, but also think that some training is a good thing.
It should be taught in school. If it were taught in school it would reduce the amount of child firearm accidents.
Having been in a classroom with recent high school graduates over the last 2.5 years, I find putting firearms in their hands slightly terrifying. Perhaps we should start by teaching them things like respect for authority and common sense?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

TexasTornado wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Having been in a classroom with recent high school graduates over the last 2.5 years, I find putting firearms in their hands slightly terrifying. Perhaps we should start by teaching them things like respect for authority and common sense?
Not if you started them out with air soft and in the second grade. Preschool, kindergarten and first grade get Eddie Eagle.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

MeMelYup wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Not if you started them out with air soft and in the second grade. Preschool, kindergarten and first grade get Eddie Eagle.
Unfortunately those children are being raised by the snowflakes in the college classrooms now. You're going to have to teach this generation about the responsibility before you move down to the children.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

TexasTornado wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
I suspect that the good professor who left her position might see some of the same things in the students in her class rooms. For me, the most interesting part of this situation is the Constitutional Carry part. I support that concept. I also believe that age is a factor. I tried to check Kansas but couldn't find the age requirement for legal Constitutional Carry. I assume that it is 21.

As always, those who want to act in a lawful manner are likely to do so. In Texas, there is nothing to prevent a student who didn't want to obey the law from carrying concealed on campus without an LTC. The same is true for a student in Kansas who isn't 21. I guess time will tell as to whether that is a big problem. I'm in the middle of visiting many different Texas health facilities and get to walk past (unarmed, of course) 30.06 signs at nearly every one of them. Those who posted the signs are probably like the professor, thinking that the prohibition is a control. It isn't. It is the respect for the law that is the control. When the students in our schools are leaving us terrified, our problem is far greater than campus carry or Constitutional carry.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

They are not mutually exclusive.

Rights however only come with responsibilities, not preconditions.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

MeMelYup wrote:
If nothing else basic gun safety certainly should be. That's what programs like Eddie The Eagle is all about.

Making firearms training even part of the curriculum, much less mandatory would face huge challenges not the least of which are the problems with liability issues which would probably be insurmountable along with the federal ban on firearms in public schools.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

TexasTornado wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Then start by arming the staff and faculty. ;-)

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

TexasTornado wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Well, then it is a darn good thing that no “recent high school graduates” will be carrying until after 3 or so years when they turn 21.

I have yet to be able to figure out how Campus Carry equates to “17 year olds with machine guns” in some people’s minds...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I agree and I think it should be mandatory but then I don't believe in the government having the power or authority to mandate such. Catch 22.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Flightmare wrote:
I don't think ANYONE has disputed that training is good. Where some disagree is whether the government should be allowed to mandate it or not.
:iagree:

It's similar to the right to vote. Getting educated on the issues and candidates is something that everyone should do before they get to the ballot box. But I disagree with requiring poll tests before you get to exercise your right. And unlike the RKBA, voting isn't even a fundamental human right.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LDB415 wrote:
I agree and I think it should be mandatory but then I don't believe in the government having the power or authority to mandate such. Catch 22.
Do you think it should be mandatory to have people get parenting classes before they have children? Mandatory education before people vote? What about anger control classes before people are allowed to interact with other humans? In an ideal world, would you like to have any / all of these be mandatory?

TheFriscoKid
Banned

Post by TheFriscoKid »

Kansans feel the same way about Allen Field House as most Texans do about the Alamo.

Texas Tech beating them at home was a wake up call to arm. :clapping: :clapping:

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

TheFriscoKid wrote:Kansans feel the same way about Allen Field House as most Texans do about the Alamo.
They never won there?

:evil2:
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

OUCH!!!!!! :eek6
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2: