Interesting Psychology: Open Carry & The Weapons Effect

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 6

Interesting Psychology: Open Carry & The Weapons Effect

Post by TexasTornado »

People oft debate that we should OC based on the notion that an exposed weapon will deter acts of violence, but how accurate are the assumptions we make about OC?

Sudies in Social Psychology strongly suggest that when people are agitated, the presence of a weapon object is correlated with more aggressive behavior than non weapon objects such as tennis rackets; this phenomenon has been coined as "The Weapons Effect" and is well documented both in laboratory and field experiments.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ge ... ons-effect

What are your thoughts based on this research?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Interesting Psychology: Open Carry & The Weapons Effect

Post by Jusme »

TexasTornado wrote:People oft debate that we should OC based on the notion that an exposed weapon will deter acts of violence, but how accurate are the assumptions we make about OC?

Sudies in Social Psychology strongly suggest that when people are agitated, the presence of a weapon object is correlated with more aggressive behavior than non weapon objects such as tennis rackets; this phenomenon has been coined as "The Weapons Effect" and is well documented both in laboratory and field experiments.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ge ... ons-effect

What are your thoughts based on this research?

Poppycock!

Without knowing a person's proclivity towards, aggression, anger, violence, etc. beforehand, introducing certain visual stimuli, and trying to draw conclusions, is not noteworthy. The respondents, may have been war veterans, who were simply more stimulated by guns, or they may have had bad experiences, with people, in their past who misused guns. Random tests, without a full mental/emotional history on each individual, has been proven to be not viable. The very fact that they are quoting tests from the mid 60's, and 70's should indicate that no further testing was done, or that any further testing with more advanced parameters, was inconclusive. The very fact that the reporter, stated, that guns kill more people than spiders and snakes, indicates, that he believes inanimate objects are responsible for deaths. This is simply a result, from a preconceived agenda. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

Psychology Today is not a peer reviewed journal which is intended for Professionals. It is known for puff and inaccurate articles intended for the uneducated and ill informed.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I open carry, I will continue to open carry unless a .07 sign is present at which point I'll cover up until my business with that business is concluded.
My personal experience I have found that few people even notice, and most don't care, I have had a couple of conversations with complete strangers that somehow failed to notice the rather large 1911 on my left hip, one conversation went on for over 20 minutes before the guy saw my pistol.
I would think that few people would want to start an altercation with another person that is obviously armed simply because you really don't know what the armed person might do, an armed society is a polite society!

My 2 cents
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Sounds like their entire test panel was composed of folks with 'emotional intelligence' issues..... :roll:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

"The finger pulls the trigger, but the trigger may be pulling the finger."

The old pull my finger joke? Really?

Did Psychology Today just make a Freudian pun?

Table manners, please!
Last edited by treadlightly on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

By this logic, disagreements among members of the military should be much more violent than among other groups of people of similar characteristics. Having served for 4 years in the military, I didn't find that to be true. Alcohol frequently led to escalations of disagreements, but that was also true in my non-military environments.

Also, we should be seeing fist fights among cops all the time. I also doubt that is happening.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

crazy2medic wrote:I open carry, I will continue to open carry unless a .07 sign is present at which point I'll cover up until my business with that business is concluded.
My personal experience I have found that few people even notice, and most don't care, I have had a couple of conversations with complete strangers that somehow failed to notice the rather large 1911 on my left hip, one conversation went on for over 20 minutes before the guy saw my pistol.
I would think that few people would want to start an altercation with another person that is obviously armed simply because you really don't know what the armed person might do, an armed society is a polite society!

My 2 cents
:iagree:
I feel it is beneficial to consider how my actions affect others, but I don't carry or not carry based on what other people think. I don't carry concealed or openly based on what other people think. I carry openly because my deliberation has led me to believe that it is the best way for me to protect myself and those for whom I am responsible. Period. I'm just living my life and trying to be a peace with all.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

Ok, here's the proof of bad science. Note this:
In one field experiment,[2] a confederate driving a pickup truck purposely remained stalled at a traffic light for 12 seconds to see whether the motorists trapped behind him would honk their horns (the measure of aggression). The truck contained either a .303-calibre military rifle in a gun rack mounted to the rear window, or no rifle.
The writer is an idiot. The confederacy didn't have any rifles chambered in .303 British, which is what I assume he's talking about.

An accurately portrayed confederate would likely have an Enfield pattern rifle. I think those were the most common.

In any case, by dragging the Confederacy (kindly doff your hats) into this I proclaim my trigger has been pulled. I need my safe space now. :eek6

Jay2121
Banned

Post by Jay2121 »

The article is worthless. I have opened carried since day 2 and have had only positive feedback save one neutral response When a person quietly said "John Wayne..." as he passed. He was dressed in a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and looked like he walked off a movie set ...lol. Most do not notice. A handgun is a great equalizer people good and bad realize that it makes them think. I will continue to open carry as it was a hard won victory and is our right. Most people that come up to me to discuss OC are afraid to OC nothing more nothing less. They ask if people get mad, give me dirty looks, turn away as I walk up, are you nervous they ask?? No, no, no, no, I answer. "I don't know if I could do it "comes the response. I look at them in disbelief and that feeling has not lessened for me. Oh well. A story: I was helping my wife load the car with groceries one night. we were parked way out, new car and all, anyway I notice two people in a truck watching us as we loaded the vehicle. The minute I turned my weapon side to them the truck started and it pulled away. Coincidence, maybe, but they were scoping us out and I intentionally kept weapon side toward car for the 3-4 minutes we were loading up. Did not mention to wife as we were loading but she quietly noticed the same truck and once we entered the car we shared our stories. CC or OC is your choice. As for the now two others I have seen in the last year and a half doing OC , thank you.

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Please note, this effect is ONLY documented when subjects are already in a state of agitation. It has not been found to apply when just having normal conversations or when not already otherwise in an agitated/angered state.

Personally the reporter's opinions and interjections are completely irrelevant to me, it was just the first article I found on the topics presented in class. The relevant information in my opinion is the findings of the studies themselves and the idea that violence, once initiated, may escalate more quickly with a pistol visible.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Like any "study" where the conclusion ids already cemented, testing can be skewed to be sure that the desired result is met. It could be "proven" with the right parameters, and testing procedures, that pigs are aerodynamic, and should be the best choice to ride for aerial tours. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

treadlightly wrote:Ok, here's the proof of bad science. Note this:
In one field experiment,[2] a confederate driving a pickup truck purposely remained stalled at a traffic light for 12 seconds to see whether the motorists trapped behind him would honk their horns (the measure of aggression). The truck contained either a .303-calibre military rifle in a gun rack mounted to the rear window, or no rifle.
The writer is an idiot. The confederacy didn't have any rifles chambered in .303 British, which is what I assume he's talking about.

An accurately portrayed confederate would likely have an Enfield pattern rifle. I think those were the most common.

In any case, by dragging the Confederacy (kindly doff your hats) into this I proclaim my trigger has been pulled. I need my safe space now. :eek6

A confederate in an experiment is someone, disguised as a participant or non involved party, who is working for/with the experimenter. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Confederacy or the Bloody Red Coats.

NRA Lifetime Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

TexasTornado wrote:Please note, this effect is ONLY documented when subjects are already in a state of agitation. It has not been found to apply when just having normal conversations or when not already otherwise in an agitated/angered state.

Personally the reporter's opinions and interjections are completely irrelevant to me, it was just the first article I found on the topics presented in class. The relevant information in my opinion is the findings of the studies themselves and the idea that violence, once initiated, may escalate more quickly with a pistol visible.
Point considered and rejected as immaterial to my decision to carry openly. Another person's potential or apparent agitation would increase my awareness, but not alter my method of carrying.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TexasTornado wrote:Please note, this effect is ONLY documented when subjects are already in a state of agitation. It has not been found to apply when just having normal conversations or when not already otherwise in an agitated/angered state.

One problem with this type of study is that it can lead to very dangerous conclusions. If the presence of guns causes a bad situation to get worse, then maybe we should stop sending police out to domestic violence calls? Or we could just require all police officers to conceal carry. Don't get me started about gun shops / gun ranges. Just yesterday I got a work e-mail that made me extremely angry right before I went to the range. I was definitely agitated, but by some miracle, I managed to not go on a shooting rampage despite the sight of a wall full of firearms. I then discovered that my brand new Walther PPQ has an issue (failure to lock back on an empty magazine). That irritated me even more. And yet, the walk out of there was somehow uneventful, despite once again seeing a large number of weapons on clear display.

By the way, Walther was very quick to send me a pre-paid shipping label. Hopefully, they will get the issue addressed quickly.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”