Husband can't get an LTC; what about wife?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 2

Husband can't get an LTC; what about wife?

Post by mloamiller »

I co-worker of my - a woman - asked to be in one of my LTC classes. I said of course and asked if her husband was interested as well. She kind of hedged and said "He can't get an LTC, so let's leave it at that." She didn't elaborate any further on the why - maybe he has a felony conviction, something else; I have no idea. She might have actually said "he can't own a gun"; I can't remember her exact words as she spoke them rather hesitantly.

My question is, should I find out what the issue is that prevents her husband from getting an LTC, and possibly not allow her in my class because of it?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Liberty

Re: Husband can't get an LTC; what about wife?

Post by Liberty »

No, its not really your business. It is her right to to be able to protect herself, and her responcibility to make sure he doesn't have access to them if he has been legally denied the right. Its her responsibilty to fill out the forms completely and honestly .
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cheezit
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cheezit »

Maybe she needs it because of him.
Just something to think about.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

Instructors can only tell them what the qualifications are in the CHL16, we don't get to make a judgement call on the law. That is up to them and their attorney, if they have one. Quote the law but don't give legal advice without a license to practice law.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

cheezit wrote:Maybe she needs it because of him.
Just something to think about.
I understand this possibility, but I know her well enough to know it isn't the case for her.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

No disqualification for her and you are not selling a firearm. You are in the clear.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I would say that she still has the right to defend herself even if the guy that she married gave up his right by his own actions
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Liberty wrote:No, its not really your business. It is her right to to be able to protect herself, and her responcibility to make sure he doesn't have access to them if he has been legally denied the right. Its her responsibilty to fill out the forms completely and honestly .
:iagree: But, with that said, it is YOUR class. If you don't feel right about it, it's your choice. I don't think it would be the right choice, but that's just my opinion. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

It would not be a factor in my class. It may be nothing more than a Class B issue that will clear itself in time. They are the ones that have to make sure they stay legal with possession if it's more than just a state disqualifier. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

By providing a LTC class, you will not be giving a prohibited person any more access to guns, than he already has. If you refuse to give the class to your co-worker, and tell here that you feel uncomfortable with her taking the class because of her husband's status, she can simply go elsewhere, and not mention it. You only found out, because you asked if her husband was interested, in taking the class. Had you not asked that question, you would not even have that info. I'm sure you give classes all the time where a member of the student's household may not be legally able to possess firearms, but you are unaware. Also, since you don't perform background checks on your students, it's possible, that they themselves, may have dis-qualifiers.

That's a long way around saying, you are not responsible for what goes on in someone else's home. I would allow her to take the class. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Maybe it's the cost issue and after LTC fee reduction kicks in he will be able to get it. :lol::

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The only issue that could be a problem would be the shooting portion. Thereby you are making a firearm available to him (or someone is).
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

RPBrown wrote:The only issue that could be a problem would be the shooting portion. Thereby you are making a firearm available to him (or someone is).

It's the wife who wants to take the class, When asked if her husband was interested, that was when she revealed to the OP that he wasn't eligible.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

RPBrown wrote:The only issue that could be a problem would be the shooting portion. Thereby you are making a firearm available to him (or someone is).
Still he may not be eligible for a LTC but could still fire and own a firearm. The regulations are stricter for a LTC than they are for owning or shooting a firearm. If you do not know that someone is a felon then you are not at fault, the felon would be. Even if you were selling a firearm to the spouse of a felon, that would not be illegal. It is their responsibility to follow the law, not yours to enforce the law on them. However, it is still you choice to do business with them as long as you are not being discriminatory in the areas protected by law.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Not that it changes anything, but looks like some are leaning pretty hard on the assumption that the person is likely a felon. Keep in mind that there are reasons other than being a convicted felon that can disqualify a person from obtaining an LTC or owning a firearm. Just sayin'.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”