So it begins.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jago668
Posts in topic: 5

So it begins.

Post by Jago668 »

Filled out my Form 1, and Form 23 today. Finally getting around to the 300 Blackout SBR build I want, money set aside for the parts I want after it gets approved. Now to start setting aside money for a silencer to go with it.
NRA Benefactor Member

strogg
Posts in topic: 3

Re: So it begins.

Post by strogg »

:thewave

Nice. Congrats. I've been meaning to fill out a Form 1 and 23 for myself for my PS90 I want to SBR. I really need to get the ball rolling on that... What are the particulars of the 300blk you want to build out? I'm curious what you have in mind for it.

Topic author
Jago668
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jago668 »

I picked up an Aero Precision stripped lower to use. They have a Texas model, that has the state outline on the right side with a star cut through to the mag. Serial numbers for those lowers start with TX. Currently out of stock, unknown when or if they'll do a run again.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-strip ... texas.html

Going to do a Spikes Tactical enhanced lower part kit without a trigger. Doing a Timney straight trigger (4 lbs). Magpul ACS stock. Probably a Spikes Tactical buffer tube. Aero Precision enhanced M4 upper, with their Quantum M-Lok 15" free float handguard (silencer I want will fit inside it.) Looking at a SLR adjustable gas block. Faxon Firearms 10.5" gunner barrel. Magpul MBUS Pro sights, going to do the XS tritium front stripe post. Then I'm waffling between another Aimipoint T-2 Micro, or a Eotech EXPS3-0. Surefire scout light of some form, once again haven't decided on specific.
NRA Benefactor Member

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

Nice choice! You'll love the Aero stuff.

This is a 12.5" Texas Aero lower with their M4E1 upper, Aero rail and the Aimpoint Pro. Paired all this up with a Gemtech suppressed BCG for ease of swapping between suppressed/un-suppressed shooting; also has a JP Silent Gen 2 buffer. Probably my favorite 5.56 SBR at this point.

I have an identical Aero SBR in .308, only difference is a standard BCG and a SLR adjustable gas block.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

Sweet!
I love the clear Mag so you can see how much "Freedom" you have left. :thumbs2:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

• Spikes Tactical Gen II Billet Lower Kit with full ambidextrous controls
  • Matching Spikes Tactical Gen II Billet upper receiver assembly
  • Spikes Tactical carbine buffer assembly
  • Hogue Overmolded Pistol Grip w/ Beavertail
  • Rainier Arms Select medium contour 10.5" .300 Blk SS 5R match grade barrel
  • 3 lb single stage Timney competition trigger
  • Smith Enterprises Chrome M16 Match Bolt Carrier Assembly + Leitner-Wise NiB bolt, cam pin, and firing pin
  • BCM Gunfighter ambidextrous charging handle
  • 9" BCM KMR Alpha handguard
  • MFT Battlelink Minimalist stock
  • Aimpoint T2 Micro red dot sight w/ BOBRO mount
  • Troy Industries folding BUIS, with HK style front, and Blitzkrieg chevron front sight post, illuminated green, with tritium tip.
  • AAC 7.62 flash hider
  • AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor
Do I like this SBR? Heck yes, I do. It's a gas to shoot - especially with subsonics, where it is quieter than a .22. But I've found that commercial ammo choices for the good stuff are either sparse, or really expensive. You can find cheap FMJ all day long. I have no regrets building it, but I probably wouldn't build another .300 Blk chambered weapon. My rationale for building it was wanting to be able to fire really quiet subsonics that would both cycle the bolt, and have some killing capacity, while also being able to mount a regular 5.56 upper to it, and use 5.56 magazines (clearly separated for .300 Blk use). I also have an almost identical carbine length 5.56 upper for it, with the exception of being gas-piston driven. With the 10.5" upper mounted and a full 30 round magazine of 208 grain subsonics, it is my primary home defense weapon. It may not have the sheer killing power of my shotgun, but it is lighter, shorter, handier, softer recoiling, and much MUCH quieter.

Although the supersonic .300 Blk loads are just fine for hog hunting, etc., I already own a couple of .308s which would be even better for that - including one that is also semiautomatic, carbine length, and not all that much heavier. It's not that supersonic .300 Blk won't kill a predator or nuisance animal, it's just that I think in the end, the effort to gain parity with 7.62x39mm ballistics out of the AR15 platform with a 7.62 diameter bullet is not as broadly useful a formula as one would think. It positively shines when fired suppressed with subsonics; but there are other calibers that can perform much better in the supersonic role.

Again, no regrets, and this one is a keeper. And I would never tell anyone not to buy/build a .300 Blk. It's a nice round. But if you want parity with 7.62x39 ballistics, just buy an AK or a Marlin, and be done with it. The only advantage that a .300 Blk AR has over those two is the versatility of functioning properly with both subsonics and supersonics. That's my 2¢, based on having owned one for a little while now. My advice, for what it is worth, would be to not spend as much as I did on components, and to use the savings to buy ammo. I'm into mine for a truly ridiculous amount of money because I wanted something truly special. IF I were to build another, I'd do it on the cheap. YMMV.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:[
IF I were to build another, I'd do it on the cheap. YMMV.
Would tend to agree with this statement. I have three SBR'd AR lowers, two have dedicated 5.56 uppers, the third is a PSA lower that plays host to a budget 8.5" 300 BLK upper, a 9.25" AR-22 upper, and any number of other "toy" uppers.

All that said, you can build a very nice 300 BLK upper anymore without breaking the bank. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TreyHouston »

So let me ask. They make a pistol brace that can be sholdered and ATF considers this a legal pistol. So, what the heck is a SBR now????? :confused5

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sob/
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TreyHouston »

IMG_2119.PNG
One is a SBR
One is a pistol
Attachments
IMG_2118.PNG
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

CZp10
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CZp10 »

I would like to get an SBR with a suppressor, but I am not sure where to start since there are so many choices. I want something where I can feel comfortable that my wife or kids could shoot indoors for home defense without going deaf if the need ever arose. I guess I would be pretty limited in barrel length since I would like the whole gun, with suppressor, to not be overly long. I see these being done with many manufactures and many different calibers. I am always concerned with over penetration in a house, so I was hoping to get some advice from people here on what might be a good starting point for caliber, type, etc. Thanks.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

What's a Form 23? I tried looking but couldn't find anything that made sense.

strogg

Post by strogg »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote:What's a Form 23? I tried looking but couldn't find anything that made sense.
Basically checks off everyone in your trust. If you don't go the trust route, you can forgo this form.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/ ... 3/download

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'm probably going to do the same thing with a lower I have, but I am going to go the "build a pistol convert to SBR" route so I can use it while the ATF makes super duper double sure that I'm not a bad guy while taking my $200.
I'll probably reload most ammo to save $ after the fact too.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

strogg wrote:
Jose_in_Dallas wrote:What's a Form 23? I tried looking but couldn't find anything that made sense.
Basically checks off everyone in your trust. If you don't go the trust route, you can forgo this form.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/ ... 3/download
Thanks for the info. No trust but it's good to know.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TreyHouston wrote:So let me ask. They make a pistol brace that can be sholdered and ATF considers this a legal pistol. So, what the heck is a SBR now????? :confused5

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sob/
An SBR is a short barreled rifle, not a pistol. SBR is its legal classification. You can't legally shoulder an AR pistol, even if the brace looks shoulderable. ATF is very clear on that. The braces are legal for sale, and they are legal for use as a brace on a pistol, but it is illegal to use such a brace as a buttstock to shoulder the weapon. ATF has been very clear also, that if caught shouldering a pistol with a brace, the pistol instantly becomes an unregistered SBR, and you do NOT want to be in possession of such a thing without the stamp for it. An ATF registered SBR is perfectly legal to shoulder, because it is legally a rifle....just one with a short barrel.

Totally arbitrary nonsense? Yes. But it is the law nonetheless.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”