Man killed at Hot Wells in Cypress

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Man killed at Hot Wells in Cypress

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Cooper Rules 2 & 4 imply that the default setup of your workbench should orient the muzzle AWAY from the customer areas. And that maybe the shop should have a 'clearing barrel'......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Most of you call your selves Christians.

How about some compassion for a person who'll probably never forgive himself?

Yes, I know it was a lethal mistake, but I ask you: "ye without sin cast first stone"

Seems a lot of hypocrisy going around...

montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by montgomery »

Abraham wrote:Most of you call your selves Christians.

How about some compassion for a person who'll probably never forgive himself?

Yes, I know it was a lethal mistake, but I ask you: "ye without sin cast first stone"

Seems a lot of hypocrisy going around...
You willing to double down on that for Philip Brailsford?

This is not about compassion, it is about responsibility. Period.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

This was indeed a preventable tragedy. It has been said that if you are a shooter there is a strong likelihood that you have had or will at some point have a negligent discharge. We follow the Firearms Safety RULES and their corollaries to 1) minimize the chances of having a negligent discharge, and 2) minimize the chances of tragic consequences should a negligent discharge occur. I am sure that the range employee will suffer a good deal of mental/emotional anguish as a result of his actions, but his actions -- by not ensuring that the safety rules were followed -- led to these tragic consequences.

My heart aches for the life taken and those whose lives were forever changed in this event. I pray for peace for all of them.
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Middle Age Russ wrote:This was indeed a preventable tragedy. It has been said that if you are a shooter there is a strong likelihood that you have had or will at some point have a negligent discharge. We follow the Firearms Safety RULES and their corollaries to 1) minimize the chances of having a negligent discharge, and 2) minimize the chances of tragic consequences should a negligent discharge occur. I am sure that the range employee will suffer a good deal of mental/emotional anguish as a result of his actions, but his actions -- by not ensuring that the safety rules were followed -- led to these tragic consequences.
:iagree:

Cheapsk8

Post by Cheapsk8 »

I pray for all those involved.

Range employee, and the ranges other employees, LEO on the scene, EMS responders, nurses and DR, and family and friends of all above, not to mention the victims family and friends.

It was, and is a terrible incident and one that probably could have been avoided but the fact remains it happened and for that I pray that all find a way to deal and cope.

I was not there and did not witness it, I can assume a lot of things but without the facts I can not blame, I can only pray for healing of minds and peace for those involved.
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

dlh

Post by dlh »

A few years back I handled one of my old Remington 700 bolt-action rifles made in the sixties.

I was out in a pasture and in a safe area. For some reason the bolt closed on a live-round and would not open back up. I pointed the gun safely to the ground and began to work the bolt when the gun discharged into the ground. My finger was not near the trigger.

I sprayed some Ballistol into the back of the bolt, into the safety, and into the trigger group, waited about ten minutes, and the action then cycled like normal. Got back home, removed the firing pin, cleaned everything up, and have not had any trouble since.

The good news is that nobody was hurt.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

Abraham wrote: How about some compassion for a person who'll probably never forgive himself?
No. Not a bit.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

JRG

Post by JRG »

Middle Age Russ wrote:This was indeed a preventable tragedy. It has been said that if you are a shooter there is a strong likelihood that you have had or will at some point have a negligent discharge. We follow the Firearms Safety RULES and their corollaries to 1) minimize the chances of having a negligent discharge, and 2) minimize the chances of tragic consequences should a negligent discharge occur. I am sure that the range employee will suffer a good deal of mental/emotional anguish as a result of his actions, but his actions -- by not ensuring that the safety rules were followed -- led to these tragic consequences.

My heart aches for the life taken and those whose lives were forever changed in this event. I pray for peace for all of them.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Joe

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

The owner sent out a statement saying that they had not had an injury in 40 years.

My sympathies to everyone involved.

Very tragic.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

dlh wrote:A few years back I handled one of my old Remington 700 bolt-action rifles made in the sixties.

I was out in a pasture and in a safe area. For some reason the bolt closed on a live-round and would not open back up. I pointed the gun safely to the ground and began to work the bolt when the gun discharged into the ground. My finger was not near the trigger.
:thumbs2:
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/who- ... ng-victim-

Man killed was a father of five year old triplets.

Probably enjoyed shooting.

ELB

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

dlh

Post by dlh »

Good. People and businesses should be held responsible for their actions. Hope the gun-range insurance is "adequate" to cover the terrible losses of this family.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

If you're carrying a firearm into a shop have the courtesy to open the breech and leave it open.

If you have a firearm with a loaded round that cannot be cleared, leave it in the car, go get the gunsmith and make sure you explain the situation to him him before proceeding.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “Never Again!!”