Audie Murphy "To Heck and Back"

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Audie Murphy "To Heck and Back"

Post by puma guy »

I just finished reading Audie Murphy's account of his WWII experience. Although I'd seen the movie when I was a kid and a couple of times afterward I'd never read his book. I picked up a copy in September when I last visited the museum dedicated to him in Greenville. It was stark and grim and I was surprised by the candid language (after all it's a war book), however it's mild compared to what we read and hear in books and movies. I highly recommend it. Just in case some here don't know who Audie Murphy is, he is America's most highly decorated soldier of WWII. He lied about his age to join the army at 17. I always had an interest in him as he was a contemporary of my mother and her cousins around Farmersville, Greenville and Celeste. According to the stories they told he was a mean motor scooter when riled.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Audie Murphy "To Heck and Back"

Post by warnmar10 »

It sounds interesting but when I google it and it comes back as a cartoon show, Rocko's Modern Life.

To Heck And Back Image

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Currently $11.23 in paperback on BarnesAndNoble.com. Bet a lot of Italians and Germans agree about the
According to the stories they told he was a mean motor scooter when riled
description. ;-)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Use the other word for which HECK is a euphemism and it should come up.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Psalm 91:2

dlh

Post by dlh »

Audie Murphy is a true American hero.

He believed in making himself as small a target as possible when he fought in combat. Wonder what he would think of the modern stances such as The Weaver and The Isosceles when in "self-defense" mode.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

dlh wrote:He believed in making himself as small a target as possible when he fought in combat. Wonder what he would think of the modern stances such as The Weaver and The Isosceles when in "self-defense" mode.
He didn't exactly make a small target, firing a .50 BMG from the top of that burning tank destroyer. ;-)

Audi Murphy at Holtzwihr
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

It's closed now, but did anyone ever get a chance to eat at Dovie's in Addison... It used to be his ranch house. We ate there once probably 15 years or so ago... It was really nice.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

warnmar10 wrote:It sounds interesting but when I google it and it comes back as a cartoon show, Rocko's Modern Life.

To Heck And Back Image
:lol: His book and life are definitely not a cartoon show. You can't use the actual word for which "heck" is the euphemism. Even if you type it in the forum software automatically replaces it with "heck". Just Google "Audie Leon Murphy" and you'll find it.
Last edited by puma guy on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

To HEII and Back is the book and the movie. He was to WWII what Sgt. York was to WWI.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

puma guy wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:It sounds interesting but when I google it and it comes back as a cartoon show, Rocko's Modern Life.

To Heck And Back Image
:lol: His book and life are definitely not a cartoon show. You can't use the actual word for which "heck" is the euphemism. Even if you type it in the forum software automatically replaces it with "heck". Just Google "Audie Leon Murphy" and you'll find it.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

puma guy wrote:

To Heck And Back Image
:lol: His book and life are definitely not a cartoon show. You can't use the actual for which "heck" is the euphemism. Even if you type it in the forum software automatically replaces it with "heck". Just Google "Audie Leon Murphy" and you'll find it.
I was trying to be humorous but I don't think it came off as I intended. I'm a child of the 60's but in my neighborhood most of our dad's were a little older and WWII vets. Even in the 60's Audie Murphy was still one of the best guys to be when we would organize our back yard armies. Plus he was in half the old Westerns we watched on Saturday afternoons.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Silliness, pure silliness! :roll:

To "Heck and Back" was not the title of the book nor the movie. I suspect that any precious children who go to any church have heard the "h" word more than once.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

warnmar10 wrote:
puma guy wrote:

To Heck And Back Image
:lol: His book and life are definitely not a cartoon show. You can't use the actual for which "heck" is the euphemism. Even if you type it in the forum software automatically replaces it with "heck". Just Google "Audie Leon Murphy" and you'll find it.
I was trying to be humorous but I don't think it came off as I intended. I'm a child of the 60's but in my neighborhood most of our dad's were a little older and WWII vets. Even in the 60's Audie Murphy was still one of the best guys to be when we would organize our back yard armies. Plus he was in half the old Westerns we watched on Saturday afternoons.
Not to worry. I took it as a humorous comment as noted by the LOL smiley. I added the comment as a reaction to the what gives emoticon. All in good humor.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Audie Murphy, who we'd heard had a girl friend in town, back when I was in High School and worked at a grocery store in Beeville, came in with a woman that I guess was his gf. They bought a few grocery items and left.

No one made a fuss, but everyone knew who he was.

I loved that he wasn't bothered by autograph hounds or those who insist the famous owe them by having an extended conversation.

Return to “Books & Videos”