.45 Auto Failure to Stop with Head Shot

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

.45 Auto Failure to Stop with Head Shot

Post by Excaliber »

A man in Brazil appeared relatively unfazed after he sustained a .45 auto shot to his forehead during a robbery.

A photo taken shortly afterwards suggests that he may be a bit more hard headed than most.

Details and the referenced photo can be viewed here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Ed4032

Re: .45 Auto Failure to Stop with Head Shot

Post by Ed4032 »

Has to be fake news. Everyone knows a 45 will always kill with out firing.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

Ed4032 wrote:Has to be fake news. Everyone knows a 45 will always kill with out firing.
Maybe, but he fired what was almost a squib! Shoddy reload was the suggestion in the article... Or maybe it went through three other men before hitting him. :shock:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

He should have used a 9mm. :evil2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I had a 45 auto squib load in a 45 carbine once. Bullet stopped halfway down the 16" barrel. I figure it would have weakly exited a shorter barrel.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:Heads are hard, round and have a ton of non-vital stuff in them. I'm hardly surprised.
:lol:
NRA Endowment Member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Looking at the picture, the bullet appears to have just stopped on impact with the skull. I guess it is obvious it wasn't going very fast. Makes me wonder if it was fired out of a sling shot.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Did chuck norris swallow some lead and fart a bullet?

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

cmgee67 wrote:Did chuck norris swallow some lead and fart a bullet?
Nah, it would have gone through him completely if it came out of Chuck Norris!

"rlol"
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

n5wmk wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Did chuck norris swallow some lead and fart a bullet?
Nah, it would have gone through him completely if it came out of Chuck Norris!

"rlol"
I believe a bullet coming from Chuck Norris qualifies as an "Extinction Level Event" :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

A squib load that went a bit far.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

No that is impossible...everybody shot with a .45 erupts like a volcano regardless of where they are hit :mad5

There have been multiple cases of bullets ricocheting off of foreheads, cheekbones, even teeth, especially with round nose lead or FMJ ammunition. One guy back in the day tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the temple with a .38 Special revolver shooting round nose lead ammunition. The bullet missed the temple, skidded along the forehead between the skull and the skin, and exited out near the other temple. He lived.

A head shot outside the triangle formed between the eyes and nose is not a 100% reliable stop.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LeonCarr wrote:No that is impossible...everybody shot with a .45 erupts like a volcano regardless of where they are hit :mad5

There have been multiple cases of bullets ricocheting off of foreheads, cheekbones, even teeth, especially with round nose lead or FMJ ammunition. One guy back in the day tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the temple with a .38 Special revolver shooting round nose lead ammunition. The bullet missed the temple, skidded along the forehead between the skull and the skin, and exited out near the other temple. He lived.

A head shot outside the triangle formed between the eyes and nose is not a 100% reliable stop.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
A friend of mine from my ER days who was a local cop once shot a perp between the eyes with his .357 and the bullet did the same thing - dissected between his skull and scalp and exited the back of his head. My friend was on his back, having just been shot by this perp in the guts with a .410, and his return shot was at an upward angle as the bad guy fled up a stairwell.

Funny ending...... Apparently, the bad guy had a twin brother my friend did not know about, who worked in the city yard where they stored and repaired vehicles. My friend got dropped off there by one of his brother officers to pick up a cruiser that was being returned to service. The guy who brought him the car was the twin bro of the guy he shot. My friend drew down on him and put him on the ground and called for backup. He said it took all he had in him to hold his fire and not drill the guy. But then other yard workers came running over and started explaining to him the mixup. When his backup arrived and confirmed the mis-ID, the situation was over.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”