QUALS FOR LEOSA for retired military

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Tzayad
Posts in topic: 2

QUALS FOR LEOSA for retired military

Post by Tzayad »

LEOSA was expanded to include some retired military personnel. Much of that is a very gray area and does not answer a lot of questions. For example qualifying is based on the agency we worked for. AKA DOD then the Branch of Service. Each Service has a different quualification for hand guns and for rifles. But requaling also has different rules as well. And once you retire, how in the world do we we requal with our service when they won't do a requal. Do we ask the NG to do it? Too many ambiguous areas for LEOSA in the first place and even more for retired military. I live in TX and I would like to know, based on what TX laws are, what DO I need to do to apply and get my LEOSA license. I would like to see this promoted for a couple of reasons. One of those are the school shootings and I think the best way to protect our kids in schools would be to hire retired military and LEOs for that job. We've got the training and the capacity as well as the experience. None of us want to see what has happened in so many schools to happen again. Texas is a very pro-gun, pro-law and pro-military state and I can think of no better place to be at but TX (at least for me). It would be even better to have us do that job and let you younger cops take care of the streets. We know you have our backs and the backs of those kids even more. Same goes for us. You know we would do everything to protect those kids too. Our kids. Through a LEOSA program we can increase the number of qualified personnel that can not only protect the schools, but almost every other area of our state. If someone could please give detailed info, specifically for us military retirees on applying for the LEOSA, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Topic author
Tzayad
Posts in topic: 2

Re: QUALS FOR LEOSA for retired military

Post by Tzayad »

BUMP. Why? Because it is a serious question that should get an answer.

Smokey613
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Smokey613 »

I first retired in 2005. I did not get a retirement ID at the time. I did get finally get one a few years later and had the Firearms Instructor at the SO I retired from qualify me. It was an odd experience as I had been the FI there for the last 12 years before retirement. I returned to LE employment in 2015 and I am our agency's FI as well as being a TCOLE certified FI. I have a special form that I fill out and provide to retired LEOs when I do a requalification. I even ran our city attorney and our municipal court judge through the course and signed their DPS forms so they could get their LTC. Some agencies, like our local PD issue retirement IDs that expire and they require the retired officers to requal to get a new ID. An expiring ID is not required by Texas or Federal law, only the documentation that you have qualified every two years for Texas or annually for LEOSA purposes. My SO retirement ID never expires so I would simply need to keep my firearms qualification documentation updated once I retire at the end of this year from my current agency. Texas provides a path for out of state or federal retired LEOs to obtain the required documentation but Texas LEOs that retire are left to their own means to obtain their firearms qualification documentation. We plan to move to South Alabama once we retire to be close to our only child and they are much more proactive in proving retired LEOs a path to obtain LEOSA required documentation. In fact, Alabama is much more gun friendly than Texas. Several of our local ISDs have retired LEOs as resource officers and they are armed peace officers.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Tzayad wrote:BUMP. Why? Because it is a serious question that should get an answer.
First off welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

Second, not sure many on here will be able to answer you as that is an unusual route.

I believe you will have to fill out a form for retired federal law enforcemnt firearms certification with TCOLE. Here is a link to the form list https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/for ... plications and this is the individual form https://www.tcole.texas.gov/sites/defau ... 0.14_0.pdf

Then you will have to certify with a firearms instructor. In Texas a LTC instructor can do the certification as long as it meets the TCOLE requirements. If you have a connection with your local law enforcement agency their instructor may also be willing to qualify you.

Once you have that completed you should be able to submit the application.

Hope this helps.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

I just did the Firearm Proficiency with these guys last November. I had retired city and federal guys in my class with me. If you're near San Antonio this is an easy, quick qualification.
http://www.tac-safe.com/chl-san-antonio ... ing/leosa/

The process is that you show up, present an DL for identification then shoot some holes in paper and then on the spot the instructor signs and hands you a LEOSA Firearms Proficiency card. That's all you need along with a retired ID. You also have the option to have him sign a TCOLE form and then you mail that in with a fee and you get a Texas issued proof of Poficiency card. Totally not necessary. I did that too thinking I'd do it just this year and have the card for a shadow box display I'm working on, but I've read others say it took about 60 days to get that card. Im 90 days in and no card yet. Holidays maybe?
The rule is you must have proficiency from the state yu currently live in. True, any LTC instructor can do it but I've found that most in my town had no clue what I was talking about. Google Leosa Proficiency and then the city name you are in or nearby. I've found them in SA, Austin and Temple easy enough. If you're lucky, you'll have a real nice sheriff or constable near you that will offer you a spot in their next qualifications. That works the same way - you shoot holes, they give you a card and you are good for 12 months.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I had an LEO who was attending class with his wife and decided to go ahead and get his CHL (at the time) He told me that he did not have to shoot for me because of his shooting requirement on the job. I gave him a CHL -100 and voided the shooting part. Later, he called and said due to the paperwork and hoops that it seemed he had to go through, it would have been much easier and quicker to shoot for me. We met and he passed I gave him a new CHL-100 with the updated shooting proficiency filled out and dated.
Last week the same issue came up, I told him what had happened a few years earlier and that I was not sure if things had changed. He said that he was not sure either but shooting 50 rounds with me and being done would be the thing to do. Especially since he was not going anywhere until his wife was done.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General”