Predator Control. Repel or Kill?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Alf
Posts in topic: 2

Predator Control. Repel or Kill?

Post by Alf »

I have unwanted predators on my property. Is there a cheap effective way to repel them so they stay away? If not, what is the most effective way to kill them? I don't have time to sit around all day waiting to shoot them, so I consider poison but 1080 is not available around here.

The unwanted predators are the four legged kind if that makes a difference.

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Predator Control. Repel or Kill?

Post by johncanfield »

Trap them. If it's hogs or coyotes you can set up snares but they are very, very, very smart - you have to be super stealthy when setting it up.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

if they're 2 legged, rock salt in a .410 usually sends a loud and clear message. 4 legged, if they're of canine origin and domesticated, I'd say trap them. anything else that's wild, poison unless you wish to eat it. then i'd say bait trap, and then kill once trapped.
NRA Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

You don't specify what type of "predators" you are trying to deter/kill. Coyotes, are very difficult to trap due to their intelligence, and whatever you use for bait may also attract domesticated dogs. The same goes for poison, because, once set out, what eats it, cannot be controlled. Bobcats, are easier to trap, but again domesticated cats may fall victim.
I have found that a concerted effort to actually kill as many predators as possible, will actually train, others in the area to avoid your property. Set up game cameras near known trails, and then set up an ambush at times, known to be prime for the predators, to frequent them. After a few nights, shooting, most will begin to avoid the areas, better than trapping or poison ever could. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Alf wrote:I have unwanted predators on my property. Is there a cheap effective way to repel them so they stay away? If not, what is the most effective way to kill them? I don't have time to sit around all day waiting to shoot them, so I consider poison but 1080 is not available around here.

Specificity, if you please. A predator to you may be a pet or a godsend to others....you know what I mean, Bro?

DocV

Post by DocV »

Consider Livestock Guardian Dogs. There are several good breeds to choose from. A good LGD is not leg-count specific and can deter both four and two legged predators.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Get a donkey.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Get a donkey.
Make sure you get one that doesn't talk.
NRA Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

To the OP:
The only way I would consider poison is if it was in a very controlled environment. Poison is an equal opportunity killer... too many domestic animals get into it.

Keep a gun handy and dispatch the (whatever animal in you issue) each time you see one. Traps and snares can be effective but depending on the animal, traps can go quiet very quickly.

Oldgringo wrote:Specificity, if you please. A predator to you may be a pet or a godsend to others....you know what I mean, Bro?
No offense, Oldgringo, but that's exactly why I wouldn't post what it is. A pet or "Godsend" to some, may be a real issue to others. And having been railed for posting a very similar thread before, where I did specify, I would not say... it's not that important.

:tiphat:

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

If it's coyote/fox- call your county commissioner for your area, around here most rural Counties have an annual budget (and person or service) for trapping and with a phone call you may get some free professional help. You may also call your County AG Extension office... they are a great resource (at least most are) and not only can provide you specific info on control options, but can refer you to people in the area that can assist (if you choose an option you can't take on personally)

A great white pyrenees or donkey could be a great option (depending on the problem) but they also present some challenges of their own.

You know this but if you have a lot of predators, you have an imbalance of some type... an over concentration of predators is bad. That seems to always precede some kind of disease, mange, rabies, etc. All that to say, stay vigilante.

Good luck!

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

556 or 00 buck usually repels coyotes and other predators pretty good. You could always wag your finger at them and say no no.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If they are coming from off of your property, I have had good luck with a home made pepper spray. Grind up the hottest peppers you can find and soak in water for a couple of days (I used habanero's and a few ghost peppers I was given). Strain out the mash and spray around the perimeter of your yard (wear protective goggles and gloves cause you sure don't want this in your eyes). Spread the left over mash on known trails as they come onto your property.
The upside is this is a non toxic deterrent. I have 5 acres in Cleburne that we plan to build on and we saw that the hogs were rooting up the ground but they were coming from elsewhere (nowhere to hide on our place). I sprayed this every time we went to the property, almost every weekend and the rooting had stopped. There was also no evidence of K-9 tracks where there had been before.
The down side is it will have to be sprayed every few days and especially after a rain to maintain potency.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Grundy1133 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Get a donkey.
Make sure you get one that doesn't talk.
:mrgreen:

But I was actually being serious: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/buck-donk ... p-coyotes/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Alf wrote:I have unwanted predators on my property. Is there a cheap effective way to repel them so they stay away? If not, what is the most effective way to kill them? I don't have time to sit around all day waiting to shoot them, so I consider poison but 1080 is not available around here.

This question is so general that it begs for details. What type of property? How man acres? Fenced or not fenced? Pasture or timber?

There are many methods, but they have to be tailored to the property.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Alf wrote:I have unwanted predators on my property. Is there a cheap effective way to repel them so they stay away? If not, what is the most effective way to kill them?
Don't property owners just make agreements with hunters to handle this?

acronym 4/2/2018 9:34 AM

Return to “Off-Topic”