147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

Post by Bitter Clinger »

magillapd wrote:This will be my first year going, so I've been watching the news about this.

Vice President will be speaking, so no guns allowed in the Arena. I'm assuming that's what they mean. I hope this doesn't mean no carry ANYWHERE. Was going to purchase a ticket, but since carry will be prohibited, guess I'll skip.

Due to the attendance of the Vice President of the United States, the U.S. Secret Service will be responsible for event security at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum. As a result, firearms and firearm accessories, knives or weapons of any kind will be prohibited in the forum prior to and during his attendance. We will be posting a longer list of prohibited items in the near future.

https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/8137229/n ... anguage=en
I find myself wondering how Pence feels about that.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jason812
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jason812 »

We are 2 weeks away and people are making plans to travel. It would be nice if we could get some kind of heads up on what we can and cannot carry just for the exhibits.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 19

Post by cyphertext »

jason812 wrote:We are 2 weeks away and people are making plans to travel. It would be nice if we could get some kind of heads up on what we can and cannot carry just for the exhibits.
It's on the web page... https://www.nraam.org/attend/firearms-policy/

"During the 2018 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center and the Omni Dallas Hotel in accordance with Texas law. When carrying your firearm remember to follow all federal, state, and local laws."

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

magillapd wrote:This will be my first year going, so I've been watching the news about this.

Vice President will be speaking, so no guns allowed in the Arena. I'm assuming that's what they mean. I hope this doesn't mean no carry ANYWHERE. Was going to purchase a ticket, but since carry will be prohibited, guess I'll skip.

Due to the attendance of the Vice President of the United States, the U.S. Secret Service will be responsible for event security at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum. As a result, firearms and firearm accessories, knives or weapons of any kind will be prohibited in the forum prior to and during his attendance. We will be posting a longer list of prohibited items in the near future.

If this is true and applies to LTC folks.... if I was a dem, I'd have a field day with this. Obviously even republicans and so called leaders don't trust the "good guys". I realize it's the VP, but still makes our whole argument look foolish. You may disagree...but in my opinion the very people that claim to protect the 2A should never host an event that requires disarming the good guys. Sad. No excuses for this...it makes us look stupid.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RoyGBiv »

RicoTX wrote:

If this is true and applies to LTC folks.... if I was a dem, I'd have a field day with this. Obviously even republicans and so called leaders don't trust the "good guys". I realize it's the VP, but still makes our whole argument look foolish. You may disagree...but in my opinion the very people that claim to protect the 2A should never host an event that requires disarming the good guys. Sad. No excuses for this...it makes us look stupid.
If the Governor trusts us to carry in the Capitol building.... ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

jason812 wrote:We are 2 weeks away and people are making plans to travel. It would be nice if we could get some kind of heads up on what we can and cannot carry just for the exhibits.
As far as I can see it's only during the Leadership Forum with the VP that carry will be prohibited. Not particularly surprising and it is within the Federal government's jurisdiction to control access during the VP visit.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

http://www.dallasconventioncenter.com/a ... endee-faq/
What is your HANDGUN policy?

Licensed handguns (both concealed carry and open carry) are permitted on premise, as allowed by state law, unless the type of event being held at the KBHCCD falls under an exception that would prohibit a person with a license to carry a handgun at the event. Any exceptions will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Director and will be in accordance with state law.

Handguns must be carried in a manner that is allowed by state law.

Unlicensed handguns are NOT PERMITTED on the premises.

Police department or Security staff may request proof of handgun license. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

flechero

Post by flechero »

Police department or Security staff may request proof of handgun license. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.
Geeze, I hope that no one tries to go and reeducate them.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:http://www.dallasconventioncenter.com/a ... endee-faq/
What is your HANDGUN policy?

Licensed handguns (both concealed carry and open carry) are permitted on premise, as allowed by state law, unless the type of event being held at the KBHCCD falls under an exception that would prohibit a person with a license to carry a handgun at the event. Any exceptions will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Director and will be in accordance with state law.

Handguns must be carried in a manner that is allowed by state law.

Unlicensed handguns are NOT PERMITTED on the premises.

Thanks for posting that as I had a question about open carrying. Hopefully Pence speaking only affects the area he is in and not the entire building.
flechero wrote:
Geeze, I hope that no one tries to go and reeducate them.
I just hope I don't have to explain that what's in my backpack is legally a pistol and not a SBR...
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

jason812 wrote:
Thanks for posting that as I had a question about open carrying. Hopefully Pence speaking only affects the area he is in and not the entire building.

I just hope I don't have to explain that what's in my backpack is legally a pistol and not a SBR...
From the Convention website
I was already signed up for that forum. We planned to ride the TRE in so it looks like I'm attending unarmed.. Bummer.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

flechero

Post by flechero »

To clarify, we are thinking no carry in the room(s) that Pence will be speaking in but that the rest of the convention center with all the vendors/exhibitors is still GTG, right?

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Quick question about credentials:
I got mine, but it is just a badge holder from Midway and a coupon for 10% off from Midway.
I did not get any insert with my name, member number or anything like that.
Has anyone else seen anything different?

jason812

Post by jason812 »

flechero wrote:To clarify, we are thinking no carry in the room(s) that Pence will be speaking in but that the rest of the convention center with all the vendors/exhibitors is still GTG, right?
This is what I would like clarified.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Chemist45 wrote:Quick question about credentials:
I got mine, but it is just a badge holder from Midway and a coupon for 10% off from Midway.
Yep, just a card that say NRA on it and "a show of strength". No membership information on the door pass.

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Chemist45 wrote:Quick question about credentials:
I got the same. Was expecting something with my name.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”