Curious as to what the instructors/“experts” carry?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Curious as to what the instructors/“experts” carry?

Post by RHenriksen »

I like to tell people that choosing a pistol is like choosing a pair of shoes. I wear a size 12 wide; that just wouldn't work for 80-90+ percent of the population. Or a lady might prefer a low heel (or high heel!) that I'll never wear a day in my life. Ditto for clothing size/style/budget.

That tends to make a light bulb go off for the people asking about what gun they should buy/carry.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

karder

Post by karder »

I do one pistol or carbine course every year and I always make note of what the instructors use. Glocks seem to be far and away the favorite. I have seen a couple of HK VP9s lately but from what I have seen, it seems to be about 80% glocks.

Two year ago I did a class with an instructor who was using a Legion p226. That class stood out to me. He was an amazing shot and could move and shoot better than anyone I have ever seen. The guy was running toward his target and making 4 inch patterns.

Secondly, there was a gentleman in that class who also had a Legion p226, but was having nothing but problems with it. He was fumbling with the controls, getting it jammed up, and shooting all over the map. About half way through the afternoon, another instructor pulled him off the line to help him and suggested that he switch to a Glock. The older fellow was frustrated and said something to the effect, "I got this because I thought it was a good gun". The instructor replied, "it is a good gun, it's just not a good gun for you".
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

As a general rule, the EDCs that new LTC holders should be using are different from what an "expert" can use. If I were advising a newer person on guns to check out for EDC, I would go with the following 4 and have them carry whichever one they like the best. As far as size goes, the biggest one that you can comfortably conceal and will actually carry.

1. Revolver
2. Glock
3. M&P
4. XDM

All four of these are very forgiving when the user has a less than perfect grip. The semi-autos are not completely immune from a stovepipe when the user limp wrists, but are much more forgiving than a typical 1911 or other steel gun with tight tolerances.

I have a Kimber that runs flawlessly for me. I would have no problem carrying it as an EDC. If I hand that gun off to a new shooter, they are lucky to get off three consecutive rounds without a stovepipe. If you limpwrist that thing, it's going to stovepipe, every time.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote: shot with a Philippino 1911
Not possible... according to some, you couldn't have shot the qualifier with any 1911, as it wouldn't have shot 50 rounds without crapping out. "rlol"

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

canvasbck wrote: I have a Kimber that runs flawlessly for me. I would have no problem carrying it as an EDC. If I hand that gun off to a new shooter, they are lucky to get off three consecutive rounds without a stovepipe. If you limpwrist that thing, it's going to stovepipe, every time.

canvasbck- no offense brother, but it I had your Kimber, I'd have it checked out- no way a properly tuned gun stovepipes like that... I've taken 1911's and fired from a sideways grip with only my thumb behind the gun and they still run. Something seems amiss with yours.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

oljames3 wrote:"What Some Clueful Instructors Carry as a Defensive Firearm | Active Self Protection Extra"

"At the Rangemaster Instructor Reunion and Conference, I polled instructors as to their defensive firearm and ammunition choice. I got 51 responses and now bring you the data I found from these folks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erejjFtnz64

I was going to post this. You beat me to it.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Acronym Esq wrote:
oljames3 wrote:"What Some Clueful Instructors Carry as a Defensive Firearm | Active Self Protection Extra"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erejjFtnz64
Fantastic video answer. Punchline:
  • Common: 9mm; Glock or S&W M&P; Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot
  • Rare: 1911; stock glock
  • Always concealed; Almost always on waist
  • Always one in the chamber
  • Almost all firearms do not have an on/off switch (manual safety)
  • Graphical survey responses (click "see Previous responses")
acronym 4/26/2018 10:58 AM
Wow look at all those clueful people who open carry!

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by surferdaddy »

It seems Glock 9mms are expectedly the most commonly observed pistols in the holsters of experts. I was honestly just curious as to what you all have seen and heard were the platforms of choice amongst those “in the know.”

I have seen all sorts of different carry systems employed by different instructors over the years but I’m finding that my experience is somewhat unusual. I even had an NRA instructor who swore by FN pistols. Admittedly, I have basically no experience with them.

I teach some LTC on the side. It is almost a hobby for me. I carry different guns, and I know that some frown upon switching platforms but I love guns and can’t help myself. I train to the most complex platform I carry; which basically means that when I draw my Glocks I automatically sweep off the “safety,” and when I put it away I thumb sweep the “decocker.” My algorithm ensures consistent operation across all semiauto platforms I use.

Now, this consistency of training has gotten my a blistered support thumb from a high thumbs foreword grip on revolvers. Wasn’t ever a big problem til I touched off a few in a 44 magnum, it stung a bit.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

The two best instructors that I know personally shoot and carry MP9s. They've both retired 2 or 3 each after 80k rounds or so. That tends to influence their frequent flyer students.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Post by imkopaka »

The best carry gun is the most powerful handgun with which you can consistently put rounds on target. If the hole is too small, get a bigger gun. If the gun is too big for you to consistently put rounds on target, get a smaller gun. Find what makes you the most effective in a gun fight and carry it. Any instructor who tells you that you should carry a certain type/caliber/style is either too lazy to explain how to make an appropriate decision or too egotistical to accept that his way isn't the best way and that shooting is a highly individual thing. Carry what you can use effectively.

I carry a Springfield XD .45. I can carry it comfortably (OC), know its capabilities, keep it in good repair, and I'm absolutely SURGICAL with it. I know other people on this very forum that HATE XD's. My wife carries a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. I don't like the trigger or the way it fits in my hand, but she shoots better with that than any other gun in the house. It's all about what works for you and what you can train with.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

WTR wrote:
AndyC wrote:This was my first Texas CHL test, shot with a Philippino 1911 and my 200gr SWCs. The flecks scattered over the target like fly-poop are from the overly-soft lube I was using at the time.
My understanding that the "Phlipino" 1911s are manufactured on old Colt machinery. Nuff said.....along with that target.
It's my understanding that was true... about 50 years ago.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Pawpaw wrote:
WTR wrote:
AndyC wrote:This was my first Texas CHL test, shot with a Philippino 1911 and my 200gr SWCs. The flecks scattered over the target like fly-poop are from the overly-soft lube I was using at the time.
My understanding that the "Phlipino" 1911s are manufactured on old Colt machinery. Nuff said.....along with that target.
It's my understanding that was true... about 50 years ago.
It is my understanding that this was the case as little as 5 years ago.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

imkopaka wrote:The best carry gun is the most powerful handgun with which you can consistently put rounds on target. If the hole is too small, get a bigger gun. If the gun is too big for you to consistently put rounds on target, get a smaller gun. Find what makes you the most effective in a gun fight and carry it. Any instructor who tells you that you should carry a certain type/caliber/style is either too lazy to explain how to make an appropriate decision or too egotistical to accept that his way isn't the best way and that shooting is a highly individual thing. Carry what you can use effectively.

I carry a Springfield XD .45. I can carry it comfortably (OC), know its capabilities, keep it in good repair, and I'm absolutely SURGICAL with it. I know other people on this very forum that HATE XD's. My wife carries a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. I don't like the trigger or the way it fits in my hand, but she shoots better with that than any other gun in the house. It's all about what works for you and what you can train with.
:iagree:
I agree that the main concern is how the handgun fits the shooter. I chose my M&P based on my needs before I knew what any instructors carried. Still, I find it instructive to learn what successful competitive shooters and those who have successfully defended themselves with a handgun choose to carry. My wife's Walther PPS M2 fits her and she shoots it well.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”