Oklahoma House passes "Constitutional Carry" bill

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oklahoma House passes "Constitutional Carry" bill

Post by Flightmare »

http://www.news9.com/story/38101214/ok- ... sday-night
Senate Bill 1212 is one step closer to becoming law as it moves to Governor Fallin’s desk for her signature.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Flightmare wrote:http://www.news9.com/story/38101214/ok- ... sday-night
Senate Bill 1212 is one step closer to becoming law as it moves to Governor Fallin’s desk for her signature.
Woohoo! :thewave
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

Here is an interesting twist to this situation. It is from Facebook so I'm not sure that others will be able to read it

https://www.facebook.com/Oklahoma-State ... 3Q&fref=nf

It looks like the major thrust of the opposition is budgetary, though it is couched in a public safety premise.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

I'm curious how reciprocity works for people from a state with constitutional carry.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warnmar10 »

I feel like I've been cheated. What is all the training y'all got with your LTC? I've been through the class twice and I don't recall any training in either class. I wonder if maybe I nodded off during the training portion?

allisji

Post by allisji »

chasfm11 wrote:Here is an interesting twist to this situation. It is from Facebook so I'm not sure that others will be able to read it

https://www.facebook.com/Oklahoma-State ... 3Q&fref=nf

It looks like the major thrust of the opposition is budgetary, though it is couched in a public safety premise.
I didn't read it... can't use facebook at work. But when Kansas recently passed a campus carry law (after they passed constitutional carry), one of the main complaints on campuses was that they would have to install metal detectors for buildings that they intended to ban firearms and that they'd have to hire more security and police, etc.

It's a pretty weak argument considering that without the metal detectors, what was stopping a bad guy from carrying a gun through the doors, and how many people are actually going to be carrying on campus who didn't already have a CCW permit.

So my counter-point is that if they are concerned about someone bringing a weapon on campus and shooting up a basketball game or an auditorium then why hadn't they already installed the metal detectors and increased security?

Just because it's now legal for law-abiding citizens to carry guns on campus, doesn't mean that it's now any less illegal for a bad guy to shoot up the place.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

allisji

Post by allisji »

jerry_r60 wrote:I'm curious how reciprocity works for people from a state with constitutional carry.
reciprocity continues to work the same way that it already does. For example in Kansas (a constitutional carry state), they continue to issue CCW permits for people who want to have reciprocity with other states. If you live in Kansas and don't have a CCW permit then you can constitutionally carry in Kansas but you don't have reciprocity with other states if you don't have a license.

But, if you are an unlicensed resident of Texas and you are planning to drive to Kansas with a firearm and you intend to carry it there... well you need to study up on the state laws of Oklahoma and Kansas to see what restrictions and limitations are for non-resident, non-license holders. Depending on how the legislature drafts the constitutional carry law, it may or may not fully apply to non-residents.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

This is an exciting development.

As things stand now, 40% of US territory does not require a license: US Carry stats/map

The founding fathers intention was for no license to be required, but also that government would provide training. We are stronger as a nation to be both armed and trained.
...Although the state governments continued to depend heavily upon their militias throughout the post-War of 1812 period, the entire militia system by this time was coming under sustained criticism at the state level. Launching these political attacks was a collage of radical Jacksonians, peace advocates, and moralistic reformers. The Workingmen’s Party in New York, precursor of the laissez-faire “Locofoco” Jacksonians, condemned militia fines because they fell unfairly upon laborers and the poor. The common militia also became the butt of an effective campaign of ridicule and civil disobedience. Men would muster for mandatory training with cornstalks, brooms, or other silly substitutes for weapons, giving rise to the derisive sobriquet “cornstalk militia.” In some locations, disgruntled militiamen would elect the town drunk their commander. As a result of these attacks, the compulsory features of the common militia began to ease.

Delaware became the first state to repeal some of its militia fines as early as 1816, and, in 1831, it abolished the common militia system altogether. Massachusetts eliminated all compulsory militia service in 1840, followed by Maine, Ohio, and Vermont in 1844, Connecticut and New York in 1846, Missouri in 1847, and New Hampshire in 1851. New Jersey eliminated imprisonment for failure to pay a militia fine in 1844, followed by Iowa in 1846, Michigan in 1850, and California in 1856. In several states, fines were no longer enforced, or became truly nominal. Mandatory training days were already less frequent, and had degenerated into more social than military events.43 Only in the South were the compulsory features of the militia maintained...
The American Militia

The Civil War occurred in 1861, several years after the Northern states decided to opt out of compulsory militia training, and the North suffered numerous defeats in relation to their comparatively poor state of military readiness.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Daddio-on-patio wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Stop the personal attacks and insults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't give a hoot how strongly you feel about anything, keep that crap off the Forum. I'm tired and I'm tired of having to give this warning every few weeks. The usual suspects are going to be gone if it continues.

In case you are wondering, I deleted the typical insulting post and the one that quoted it.

Chas.

Sir,
The diligent work by you and the other moderators is why I enjoy participating on this forum. I recommend the site to others largely due to its oversight. Thank you for all the work you and the staff put in on our behalf.
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Rob72 wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:I'm curious how reciprocity works for people from a state with constitutional carry.
"Reciprocity" recognizes the issuance of licensure within a common standard. In the case of licensed vs. unlicensed situations, the strictest standard applies.

For instance, if an EMT-I is able to intubate in their licensing state, but a compact-state recognizes their training in all respects except the introduction of an airway, they may not intubate if practicing in the other state. This is why National Registry is becoming THE standard (or was, last time I checked, which has been a few years :read: ). This would be similar to the push for national CC.

In the absence of a license, you is just another civvie, and are lacking special provision. IOW, if the speed limit on I35 is 70 in Texas, you can't keep cruising along when it drops at the state line, just because your home state gives you more permission(s). :cheers2:
Your description sounds like what i was thinking but wasn't sure if there was some provision i didn't understand. Until something broader is done, it seems that passing this in OK means OK residents can't carrying in other states. I have not read the OK bill so maybe it's addressed some way i.e. everyone gets a card or maybe it's just open carry and still have license for concealed.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

Has the governor signed it yet?

My understanding is that if you are an Oklahoma resident and want Texas reciprocity you will need a LTC (or whatever they call it in OK) and the GFZ stuff around a school still requires a permit (license).

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

jerry_r60 wrote:
Rob72 wrote:
"Reciprocity" recognizes the issuance of licensure within a common standard. In the case of licensed vs. unlicensed situations, the strictest standard applies.

For instance, if an EMT-I is able to intubate in their licensing state, but a compact-state recognizes their training in all respects except the introduction of an airway, they may not intubate if practicing in the other state. This is why National Registry is becoming THE standard (or was, last time I checked, which has been a few years :read: ). This would be similar to the push for national CC.

In the absence of a license, you is just another civvie, and are lacking special provision. IOW, if the speed limit on I35 is 70 in Texas, you can't keep cruising along when it drops at the state line, just because your home state gives you more permission(s). :cheers2:
Your description sounds like what i was thinking but wasn't sure if there was some provision i didn't understand. Until something broader is done, it seems that passing this in OK means OK residents can't carrying in other states. I have not read the OK bill so maybe it's addressed some way i.e. everyone gets a card or maybe it's just open carry and still have license for concealed.
No. OK just keeps issuing licenses to people who want one, especially for reciprocity. People who don't feel like getting a OK license can carry in OK, but not in states that recognize the OK license that they chose not to get.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:
Rob72 wrote:

No. OK just keeps issuing licenses to people who want one, especially for reciprocity. People who don't feel like getting a OK license can carry in OK, but not in states that recognize the OK license that they chose not to get.
Or they could choose to get a non-resident license from a different state. Kinda makes more sense when the license isn't needed in their home state and is only for carry in a reciprocal state. That would not help with GFSZA issues in OK, but would help with a GFSZA issue in the state that issued their non-resident license.

apostate

Post by apostate »

FWIW, the enrolled version of SB1212 is on the OK Legislature's website.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”