Campus carry and effective concealment methods for an ltc college student

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
fdd1996
Posts in topic: 3

Campus carry and effective concealment methods for an ltc college student

Post by fdd1996 »

Hello, everybody. I am fairly new to carrying and trying to find a method that works best for me. Currently I am a full time student who also works full time. the campus that I attend is a public school so concealed carry is allowed and my work is fairly pro gun but I still need to keep it concealed well. At 5,9" 150 lbs, I'm a pretty small framed guy and I'm finding it hard to conceal my bersa thunder 380 without printing. My normal attire is jeans and a t-shirt. Right now I have a fobus iwb holster that I carry at 4-4:30, a versacarry element leather holster that I carry AIWB or IWB crossdraw, and a belly band that I usually have positioned around my waist near 11-11:30. My main issue with carrying in the front is that it is very uncomfortable to bend unless the gun is positioned low enough and then I start having accessibility issues because it is too deep to quickly get a positive hold on the gun. I like the 4:30 carry position comfort wise and I can conceal it fairly well but I go to school at a technical school for mechanics and it prints fairly badly anytime I bend over. Is it possible that I'm just being paranoid about printing? Is there an IWB holster that works well to keep the butt of the handgun closer to my body?

kayt00
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus carry and effective concealment methods for an ltc college student

Post by kayt00 »

I'm a part time college student but a fair amount larger than how you are describing yourself. I'm about 6' and 220. But I carry a 1911 with no issues in a crossbreed holster or a M&P 9c in an Alien gear. Basically a hybrid holster may be the way to go for you is what I'm saying. Good luck. :coolgleamA:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Can't tell whether you're being a bit paranoid without photos.

If you are comfortable with AIWB, take a look at the JMCK Wing-Claw 2.5.
Your Bersa is not on the list, but, you'll get a general idea about using yaw and a wedge for better appendix concealment.
https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2-5.html
I'm roughly your height, but heavier, and don't have any trouble concealing a G19 AIWB using this holster. YMMV.

Just for holster availability alone, you may want to consider a different gun... Glock and S&W both have great options in both .380 or (preferred) single stack 9mm with much wider availability of holsters.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
fdd1996

Post by fdd1996 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Can't tell whether you're being a bit paranoid without photos.

If you are comfortable with AIWB, take a look at the JMCK Wing-Claw 2.5.
Your Bersa is not on the list, but, you'll get a general idea about using yaw and a wedge for better appendix concealment.
https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2-5.html
I'm roughly your height, but heavier, and don't have any trouble concealing a G19 AIWB using this holster. YMMV.

Just for holster availability alone, you may want to consider a different gun... Glock and S&W both have great options in both .380 or (preferred) single stack 9mm with much wider availability of holsters.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers2:
I've actually been considering the xds 9 but if anything thats down the road a little when I can afford to buy another gun.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I carry a shield 9 every day in an AlienGear Cloak Tuck 3.0. I just ordered a Black Arch Protos-M, so I'll see how that works out.

With the AG 3.0 if I bend over, I print some, but by and large people don't notice. There is a bulge at 4:00 where I wear it, but that's unavoidable. I've personally tried AIWB, but I can't make it work and be comfortable yet, I'd still like to try out some different holsters for that.

I don't think it's bad to think about it, but you might be a touch paranoid; better to think about how you're carrying and not flash it, than to flash it because you got careless. Although, I've openly carried a full size pistol before and people don't notice that most of the time.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I use the Alien Gear 3.0 holster. Its been a very good holster and holding up well after two years of use. Its also my most comfortable of the four inside the waist bands that i have.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

don't bend, kneel, it's better for your knees and back, your body will thank you when you're older....and you won't print, or pinch your gun in your gut, or displace your gun, or do anything else with your gun....been there, done that, learned it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Is ankle holster an option?

FYI - Bag carry is illegal in most colleges if you get out of arms reach (keep that in mind).

Claw and wedge on AIWB are very helpful.

Kneeling is better than bending. Also, get tactical pants or pants that naturally ride higher up on your back. The big problem with printing in the 4:00-8:00 range is the gun being too low and following your waist when you bend instead of your back.

Also, stomach carry with one of these is pretty good, I have done it before for deep concealment with some success. Belly band holster on amazon. This is actually the exact holster my wife and I have. Ignore the photos, these are great for males too as long as you are about 38 in the waist or smaller and don't have a beer gut... :lol:

I've been in the exact same situation with being afraid of being 'outed' on campus. It was my fear that the liberal mindset of the campuses here expand to the campus police force that (at least) seems to believe that no one should have guns but cops...

:txflag:

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

The Bersa Thunder lends itself well to pocket carry. Deep concealment is especially useful with T-shirts. I usually carry OWB (.45), but when I wear a tux, I use a pocket holster holding a Glock 42 (.380). DeSantis makes very good pocket holsters.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
fdd1996

Post by fdd1996 »

PriestTheRunner wrote:Is ankle holster an option?

FYI - Bag carry is illegal in most colleges if you get out of arms reach (keep that in mind).

Claw and wedge on AIWB are very helpful.

Kneeling is better than bending. Also, get tactical pants or pants that naturally ride higher up on your back. The big problem with printing in the 4:00-8:00 range is the gun being too low and following your waist when you bend instead of your back.

Also, stomach carry with one of these is pretty good, I have done it before for deep concealment with some success. Belly band holster on amazon. This is actually the exact holster my wife and I have. Ignore the photos, these are great for males too as long as you are about 38 in the waist or smaller and don't have a beer gut... :lol:

I've been in the exact same situation with being afraid of being 'outed' on campus. It was my fear that the liberal mindset of the campuses here expand to the campus police force that (at least) seems to believe that no one should have guns but cops...

:txflag:
Ankle carry is less accessible than I want it to be. The feeling is less worried about getting outed by my peers (mostly veterans) but more from the campus police as you said. unfortunately, due to the nature of the schools technical curriculum (aviation maintenance) I won't often be able to avoid having to bend instead of kneel.

flechero

Post by flechero »

fdd1996 wrote: I like the 4:30 carry position comfort wise and I can conceal it fairly well but I go to school at a technical school for mechanics and it prints fairly badly anytime I bend over. Is it possible that I'm just being paranoid about printing? Is there an IWB holster that works well to keep the butt of the handgun closer to my body?
A few things may help... that position works even better with more cant... it will not lever the grip outward as much when it's at a higher angle. Also, the draw is more natural (for most) with more cant that far back. Lastly, look up JM Custom Kydex and check the wedge he sells. It keeps the grip tighter to the body. And just so you know, his single clip holsters have a slight bump along the trigger guard that the belt rides across to pull the butt of the gun in tighter.

Other advice was good- for School, a smaller gun my help. The XDs is a no brainer and the other guns with shorter grips disappear iwb.

Although I can't comfortably carry at 3 o'clock, it's a lot easier to shade and work around the gun with arm and bend to hide it. Your chosen vocation lends itself to printing and makes CC more difficult... of course you already know that and sometimes, just knowing and being ok with working around it is all that you need to have.

Best of luck!

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

fdd1996 wrote:Hello, everybody. I am fairly new to carrying and trying to find a method that works best for me. Currently I am a full time student who also works full time... I'm a pretty small framed guy and I'm finding it hard to conceal my bersa thunder 380 without printing. My normal attire is jeans and a t-shirt. Right now I have a fobus iwb holster that I carry at 4-4:30, a versacarry element leather holster that I carry AIWB or IWB crossdraw, and a belly band that I usually have positioned around my waist near 11-11:30.
I know what it's like to want that polite, deep concealment. There are trade offs. Ideas:
1) Switch the belly band to shoulder holster mode. Position it high on your chest like a bra with the gun under your left arm pit. The draw happens by rip/yanking your T-shirt neck down with your left hand, and right hand going in. I have to put the gun in the band, put the band on backwards, and then rotate everything into place. Reholstering is pretty much impossible without a 1/2 Monty.
2) Upgrade your wardrobe with untucked "outer shirts" like a polo or button down short sleeve. Wearing a T-shirt under an "outer shirt" is very comfortable even in Texas heat, and helps make lumps disappear.
3) Look for an inside the waistband holster with a very high belt clip. I like the Uncle Mike's with a velcro retaining strap at Academy. The higher the belt clip, the lower the gun will ride inside your waistband. Makes the draw harder, but getting the but of the gun closer to your belt makes it stick out less. Reholster requires pulling the soft holster out, putting the gun back in, and then putting the holster back into place

GL.

acronym 5/7/2018 10:50 PM

Return to “New to CHL?”