Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Governor Abbott issued his Action Plan on May 30, 2019.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by NotRPB »

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/pre ... 302018.pdf

There's a couple of areas of the forum this could have been posted, I chose here, move it if it fits better elesewhere

Topic author
NotRPB

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by NotRPB »

Topic author
NotRPB

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by NotRPB »

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grundy1133 »

I notice it makes no mention of getting rid of the GFSZ Act or any mention of allowing LTC holders to carry in schools. So even tho there will be peace officers and armed teachers, as LTC holders we'll still have to disarm? Seems kind of stupid to me. other than that I think these are great steps toward making schools safer.
NRA Member

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm opposed to pretty much all of the proposed new gun laws. In particular the "revenge" proposal that allows people to have firearms taken away from relatives they are arguing with, under the guise of a red flag law, and the requirement to file a police report within 10 days of the time that a person "should have known" that a gun was lost or stolen. If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe? And am I given absolute immunity from any charges for filing a false police report if the gun turns out to not in fact be lost/stolen?

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grundy1133 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm I'm opposed to pretty much all of the proposed new gun laws. In particular the "revenge" proposal that allows people to have firearms taken away from relatives they are arguing with, under the guise of a red flag law, and the requirement to file a police report within 10 days of the time that a person "should have known" that a gun was lost or stolen. If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe? And am I given absolute immunity from any charges for filing a false police report if the gun turns out to not in fact be lost/stolen?
I didn't notice that part. :O i skimmed thru it
NRA Member

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 7

Post by cyphertext »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe?
Is this really an issue for you? Do you have so many places that you secure your firearm, you might "forget" where you secured it?

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm I'm opposed to pretty much all of the proposed new gun laws. In particular the "revenge" proposal that allows people to have firearms taken away from relatives they are arguing with, under the guise of a red flag law, and the requirement to file a police report within 10 days of the time that a person "should have known" that a gun was lost or stolen. If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe? And am I given absolute immunity from any charges for filing a false police report if the gun turns out to not in fact be lost/stolen?
I agree with most of what you are saying. If this red flag law does come into being, it should also include mandatory stiff penalties for the abuse of such law. I am not sure why school district employees are given special attention to file a petition, when most (yes, I said most) think that firearms somehow are dangerous all by themselves. I actually think the school district employee was a "feel good" addition to a poor thought process. Why are they anymore special than anyone else???
Filing a false police report should not have immunity when you knew it to be false when filed. If you thought the facts were such that a police report needed to be filed then it is not false. Discovery may prove that the report was erroneous, but not false because it was not known to be false at the time of the report.
Last edited by twomillenium on Wed May 30, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

I support common sense gun control such as repealing 46.035
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

cyphertext wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe?
Is this really an issue for you? Do you have so many places that you secure your firearm, you might "forget" where you secured it?
Unfortunately, yes. Before leaving town on vacation, I sometimes move a few of my more valuable guns to a safe deposit box. I had a minor panic attack the other day when I was cleaning out my safe, and got to the back row of handguns (where I keep my safe queens) and saw that my Sig X5 and Nighthawk Custom 1911 were both missing. It actually took me a couple hours of scouring the safe next to my bed, my car, my range bags, etc., before I remembered that I never got them out of the SD box after my last trip.

I thought maybe I had been hit by a really picky thief who ignored the other guns they were reaching over to get to these two :lol::

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

twomillenium wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm
I agree with what you are saying. If this red flag law does come into being, it should also include mandatory stiff penalties for the abuse of such law. I am not sure why school district employees are given special attention to file a petition, when most (yes, I said most) think that firearms somehow are dangerous all by themselves. I actually think the school district employee was a "feel good" addition to poor thought. Why are they anymore special than anyone else???
A lot of the proposals are focused on student school shooters, so the idea is probably that these are trusted adults who know the kids somewhat well.

We need a red flag law to take away vehicles, first. Just as dangerous as a gun in the hands of a criminal, and vehicle ownership is not an inalienable right.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 pm
Unfortunately, yes. Before leaving town on vacation, I sometimes move a few of my more valuable guns to a safe deposit box. I had a minor panic attack the other day when I was cleaning out my safe, and got to the back row of handguns (where I keep my safe queens) and saw that my Sig X5 and Nighthawk Custom 1911 were both missing. It actually took me a couple hours of scouring the safe next to my bed, my car, my range bags, etc., before I remembered that I never got them out of the SD box after my last trip.

I thought maybe I had been hit by a really picky thief who ignored the other guns they were reaching over to get to these two :lol::
I hope you weren't making a list of forum member suspects, who you think would know the difference. :shock:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

twomillenium wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:05 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 pm

I hope you weren't making a list of forum member suspects, who you think would know the difference. :shock:
No. Of course not.

This reminds me that I do need to get busy listing some guns for sale...

EnyoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EnyoTX »

California Governor Brown has vetoed "reporting of lost or stolen gun" bills several times. Here's his message from the last veto in 2016:
California Governor Brown wrote:This bill makes it an infraction (or a misdemeanor for the 3rd offense) to fail to report the theft, loss, or recovery of a lost or stolen firearm.

I vetoed similar measures in 2012 and 2013, because I did not belive that a measure of this type would help identify gun traffickers or enable law enforcement to disarm people prohibited from having guns.

I continue to believe that responsible people report the loss or theft of a firearm and irresponsible people do not; it is not likely that this bill would change that.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 7

Post by SewTexas »

I'm listening to him talk right now in Hays County....announcing his "plan". For the most part it's pretty good. I'm not sure what part will need the Leg to act though?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Governor's Abbott's "School and Firearm Safety Action Plan"”