Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Governor Abbott issued his Action Plan on May 30, 2019.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by bblhd672 »

Small, incremental infringements....for the children.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by LDB415 »

cyphertext wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe?
Is this really an issue for you? Do you have so many places that you secure your firearm, you might "forget" where you secured it?
Simple solution. Buy a Field Notes notebook. Make notes of every firearm with S/N and exactly where it is kept. Then you don't even have to look on shelf 1, 2 or 3 in the gun safe, you go straight to shelf 2 and the one you want.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 7

Post by SewTexas »

SewTexas wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:30 pm I'm listening to him talk right now in Hays County....announcing his "plan". For the most part it's pretty good. I'm not sure what part will need the Leg to act though?
Also, I want to make it clear....I want to read his "plan", but I'm on day 2 of a migraine, so...reading anything of substance is going to have to wait until pain and drugs are gone.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dlh »

Governor Abbott has no control over the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act as that is federal and he is only a state governor. However, he can certainly push our state legislature to make changes in our state laws pertaining to guns in schools.

The interplay between state and federal law can get very confusing especially when preemption and other issues are raised.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

I'm opposed to "red flag" laws, more restrictions on home storage, and criminalizing not reporting a lost or stolen firearm.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Putting adults in jail for not keeping their firearms secure is a big step in the right direction.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grundy1133 »

LDB415 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm
cyphertext wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe?
Is this really an issue for you? Do you have so many places that you secure your firearm, you might "forget" where you secured it?
Simple solution. Buy a Field Notes notebook. Make notes of every firearm with S/N and exactly where it is kept. Then you don't even have to look on shelf 1, 2 or 3 in the gun safe, you go straight to shelf 2 and the one you want.
I think what soccerdad was getting at is that he changes the location of his guns depending on if he's traveling or not so he might forget which safe/location he put his guns.
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Putting adults in jail for not keeping their firearms secure is a big step in the right direction.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
We live in a society where nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions so it's easier to blame an inanimate who can't defend itself.
NRA Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:04 pm
twomillenium wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm I'm opposed to pretty much all of the proposed new gun laws. In particular the "revenge" proposal that allows people to have firearms taken away from relatives they are arguing with, under the guise of a red flag law, and the requirement to file a police report within 10 days of the time that a person "should have known" that a gun was lost or stolen. If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe? And am I given absolute immunity from any charges for filing a false police report if the gun turns out to not in fact be lost/stolen?
I agree with what you are saying. If this red flag law does come into being, it should also include mandatory stiff penalties for the abuse of such law. I am not sure why school district employees are given special attention to file a petition, when most (yes, I said most) think that firearms somehow are dangerous all by themselves. I actually think the school district employee was a "feel good" addition to poor thought. Why are they anymore special than anyone else???
A lot of the proposals are focused on student school shooters, so the idea is probably that these are trusted adults who know the kids somewhat well.

We need a red flag law to take away vehicles, first. Just as dangerous as a gun in the hands of a criminal, and vehicle ownership is not an inalienable right.
Here you go. The process has been in place for some time now. https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense ... cation.htm
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I'm not sure he is technically underage for be allow access to guns. We need to check it out. Abbott said something about it this afternoon....he said something about wanting the leg. to write clarifying language, or something to that effect, because right now it reads "under age 17" and it needs to read either "including age 17" or "under age 18". If I understood this part correctly, he was allowed access, I think?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
We live in a society where nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions so it's easier to blame an inanimate who can't defend itself.
In order to charge the parents then a law would have to be made up. He was 17, parents not required to lock up firearms from him.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

twomillenium wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
In order to charge the parents then a law would have to be made up. He was 17, parents not required to lock up firearms from him.
if that's what needs to be done then so be it. I guarantee you if the parents were scared of going to jail, they'd be sure to keep their guns locked up which would in turn make it harder for these delinquents to get their hands on guns.
NRA Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

"A beginner’s guide to involuntary commitments"

http://www.tdcaa.com/journal/beginner’s ... ommitments
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Blame everyone and everything, but the killer. :banghead: Take away liberties under the name of safety.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
So what about this story... Possibly very different outcome if the firearms were not accessible to minors...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 712908.php

Return to “Governor's Abbott's "School and Firearm Safety Action Plan"”