Always inspect gear, new or Used!!!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kayt00
Posts in topic: 5

Always inspect gear, new or Used!!!

Post by kayt00 »

I have a habit of always tearing down and inspecting newly acquired firearms whether new or used. I had ordered a new RIA 1911 A1 FS Tac II and was wiping everything down and inspecting. As some may already know Rock Island loves their lube. Anyway after breaking down the slide and inspecting the barrel I noticed a deformation on the rifling, surly this couldn't be a bulge in a brand new gun I though. But sure as heck after running my finger along the outside I could definitely feel a dent. So today I should have my Kimber back from it's repair and get to wait on what Armscor wants to do with this issue.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Topic author
kayt00

Re: Always inspect gear, new or Used!!!

Post by kayt00 »

The thing that's most interesting to me is that there were the two spent cases included in the box. This tells me that it was shot at least twice and didn't explode in the testers hand, or the rig they use for testing. But it is still worrisome.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

AndyC wrote:Email: support@armscor.com
Phone: (775) 537-1444
Fax: (775) 751-4425

Armscor USA and Rock Island Armory
150 North Smart Way
Pahrump, NV 89060

I'll be very surprised if they don't take care of the issue - their service has always been sterling.
Thats what Ive read. An email has already been sent but no response as of tjis morning. Ill give them a call this evening and see what they say. I was posting more as a warning for safety purposes. I really want some range time with the new acquisition but dont want to deal with a catastrophic failure and losing a finger...or worse.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LDB415 »

Was it really fired twice or do they maybe fire off a few hundred rounds and then dip into the bin of cases to send with each gun until the bin runs dry. Then grab a pistol and fire off a few hundred more to refill the bin.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

LDB415 wrote:Was it really fired twice or do they maybe fire off a few hundred rounds and then dip into the bin of cases to send with each gun until the bin runs dry. Then grab a pistol and fire off a few hundred more to refill the bin.
I've thought about that as well. That cant be legal considering states that require spent casings from the individual pistols. If that is whats going on though, how do I get that job. :woohoo
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by strogg »

Lead is soft. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the bullets went right by the small bump in the barrel. It may make accuracy interesting, though.

It seems lately that the factory in the Philippines have been dropping the ball. I picked up a double stack RIA 10mm about half a year ago. That too suffered from a giant issue. It passed my initial inspection. Everything seemed OK. I looked down the barrel and everything was smooth and straight. Very good slide fitment, perfect lockup, etc. But when I took it to the range, it wouldn't shoot a minute of man past 10 yards. Apparently, the pressure from the recoil spring masked a barrel fitment problem. It wobbled considerably with the slide closed and the barrel locked. I contacted Armscor who were more than happy to take care of the problem. Their customer support is top notch. I ended up not having them fix it; I got a Bar Sto barrel instead and turned the gun into an ultra reliable tack driver.

In the 1911 world, you do get what you pay for. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a double stack 1911, your choices are limited.

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Finally got it out to Armscor about a week ago today. I did ask that since the barrel needs to be replaced anyway, maybe they could toss on a threaded barrel? We'll see what they do. Time for the waiting game.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”