CHL application mental health question

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Rhea47
Posts in topic: 1

CHL application mental health question

Post by Rhea47 »

Hello I'm new to firearms and I am thinking about getting a chl license eventually. However one of the questions asks if you have ever received psychiatric care and I am unsure what to put down. I was sent to a mental health hospital for one day when I was ten before leaving when my parents realized this was an overreaction. Does that count? Other then that I have no applicable mental health conditions and I don't take any meds.

I might be being overly cautious but I'm the only person in my family to ever own a firearm and I don't want to get myself in trouble because I answered a question wrong or something stupid like that.

Grundy1133

Re: CHL application mental health question

Post by Grundy1133 »

good question... dont ask dont tell is my philosophy. since you were 10 and it was only for 1 day there might not even be a record of it. your parents might have done it to scare you. worst case scenario, if it shows up they ask you about it and then explain the situation. *shrug*
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you intentionally fail to disclose something, it is a separate grounds to deny the LTC. At age 10, I'd be surprised if there is any record, unless it was relatively recent.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Depending on how long ago that has been, I doubt something at the age of 10 will cause any concern or issues if you haven't had any additional issues since. Report it and deal with any questions or may trigger.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

GameGeorge

Post by GameGeorge »

Thanks for the feedback, fellas! Will definitely take note of these.

Return to “New to CHL?”