Renewal notices?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Morgan
Posts in topic: 2

Renewal notices?

Post by Morgan »

For some reason I had 2019 in my head as the expire of my license. It wasn't. It expired in March 2018. Notice last night. Got it taken care of online this morning. But... No notice? I didn't get anything in the mail and I didn't get an email from the state. is that unusual?

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Renewal notices?

Post by Grundy1133 »

I think they expect you to keep up with it. mine expires the same year as my driver's license so i lucked out on that.
NRA Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I actually received two renewal letters from DPS a couple days apart, go figure (maybe they knew I was old and forgetful :lol: ). It was 6 months before my expiration.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

The state does send out notices 6 month before the license expires but they also tell you that it is the licensee that is ultimately responsible for renewing on time. There is a one year grace period to renew an expired license, but remember, you cannot legally carry with an expired license. You have to wait and have the new license in your possession before you can legally carry. Glad you caught it. Mine expires in July, along with my DL. I have renewed both but the new LTC expires in 23 and the new DL expires in 24.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

twomillenium wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:31 am The state does send out notices 6 month before the license expires but they also tell you that it is the licensee that is ultimately responsible for renewing on time. There is a one year grace period to renew an expired license, but remember, you cannot legally carry with an expired license. You have to wait and have the new license in your possession before you can legally carry. Glad you caught it. Mine expires in July, along with my DL. I have renewed both but the new LTC expires in 23 and the new DL expires in 24.
I was checking every day as my 6 month renewal date approached. I was anxious to get my LTC, with the fancy Veteran endorsement, to replace my plain CHL. ;-) So, I saw the change on the DPS web page and renewed on the first day available. A few days later, I received a snailmailed notice that I was eligible to renew. My DL expres in 2020 and my LTC in 2023
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Lena

Post by Lena »

Got mine renewal yesterday I sent it back online yesterday with funds, last time it was 2-3 weeks before I got it back.
Stay Safe

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Got my renewal notice in the mail Monday and took care of it online in just a few minutes. It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since I got my license. I am glad they sent out the notice because I did not realize that it was time to renew.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm Got my renewal notice in the mail Monday and took care of it online in just a few minutes. It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since I got my license. I am glad they sent out the notice because I did not realize that it was time to renew.
I guess it is hard to believe because your current license was only good for a maximum of 5 years. If it were 10 years ago, this would be your 2nd renewal.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks y'all. I mean, they have our email addresses.... why for? LOL But hey, all's well. yes, I know I can't carry until I get the new plastic, but as they say, "Better you tell me when I didn't need to be told, than not tell me when I did."

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

twomillenium wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:06 pm
LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm Got my renewal notice in the mail Monday and took care of it online in just a few minutes. It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since I got my license. I am glad they sent out the notice because I did not realize that it was time to renew.
I guess it is hard to believe because your current license was only good for a maximum of 5 years. If it were 10 years ago, this would be your 2nd renewal.
Yes, it is my second renewal. My apologies for not being clear on that.

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

I also received my renewal notice (2nd renewal) via snailmail, on June 21; went online to renew that evening and received new LTC in mail today (only 9 days!) Definitely a lot faster than the first time around!

Dave :txflag:

Lena

Post by Lena »

I took the 1st daylight class in Tarrant County years ago (16hrs) 1st class started at 12:01 AM mine was 2nd, many renewals later and all have gotten faster and easier, the new classes of military and LE. I see this as a very positive thing for all involved.
I have a 3 digit number my friend a=mailed at the same time has a 2 digit number and mine took a week longer to get back I got a 4 yr he got a 2 yr then denoted by the 1st digit.

Lots have improved.
My dog adoption from the military was much more than Class 3 or LTC by a longshot.
Stay Safe

The Badger531

Post by The Badger531 »

Both My CHL AND MY ID Are About To Expire In October AND I'm At A NEW Address Too what timming Huh??...LOL
CHL Class Taken On 1/03/08
Sent in Application On 04/13/08
PIN Received on 06/03/08
Chl app Approved License issued 9/2/08
Plastic in Hand 9/4/08

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”