M&P 2.0 pistols (particularly the compact)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 6

M&P 2.0 pistols (particularly the compact)

Post by LTUME1978 »

How many folks have a M&P 2.0? How have they been for you? What is the trigger pull from the factory?

I have several of the 1.0 M&Ps and, after a Burwell trigger job and replacement sights, I have been very happy with them. I bought 2 of the 2.0 compacts last summer to use for the CCP division in IDPA. What a mistake that has turned out to be. They have been to the factory twice for issues (this would have happened quicker if not for work). Just got them back today from round 2 and they are on their way back for the third time. Issues: empty magazines would not drop free of the pistol, original back straps not made correctly (like grabbing a porcupine and not like the back strap on the full size or the current 2.0 pistols), trigger pull between 6 3/4 to 7 pounds instead of the 5 - 5 1/2 pounds they should be. They did fix the issue of the magazines not dropping free but nothing else on the two trips even thought they state that they did on the paper work.

I talked to Burwell about getting trigger jobs done and he said he could make them lighter but could not make other improvements that could be done on the 1.0 M&P triggers because of the design changes that S&W made on the 2.0 triggers.

Similar issues with the rebate magazines. After a very long wait, they sent the wrong magazines. I got a call tag and finally got replacements only to find that those were the wrong magazines as well (they are going back for round three as well).

Am I the only one having these issues?

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M&P 2.0 pistols (particularly the compact)

Post by bblhd672 »

Have 2.0 Full and Compact. Probably 2000+ rounds through the full size, no issues with anything. 200-300 through the compact, no issues other than the trigger is no where close as good as the full size.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I have the 9mm 2.0 Compact. No problems. It is OK, but just OK. S&W makes some guns that are worth telling everyone about, like the fabulous 686 revolver, and even the Shield. This, not so much. The full-size M&P .45 is also very good.

The Compact is OK, but it's no CZ.

:totap:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Good to know! I love my M&P40c (not a 2.0).
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I cant speak for the 2.0 but i have a full size M&P 40 and I recommend checking out apex tactical and replacing the trigger and the sear. i think they sell it as a "carry & duty" kit or somethin like that. I havent replaced the sear yet but i've replaced the trigger and it took my 7lb trigger pull down to ~4.5. they claim that with their sear and their sear spring you can get an even lighter pull. (also they sell a plunger that will get rid of the gritty trigger pull but mine wasn't gritty. i guess i got lucky so i didnt buy it)
NRA Member

jeffbird
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jeffbird »

I used a completely stock out of the box M&P9 Compact 2.0 for the Rangemaster Instructor Development course (successfully certified) and really like the pistol. Usually I carry a Les Baer full-size 1911, so appreciate a good trigger. The stock trigger was better than most plastic pistols. My only criticism is loading the first round into the mags is difficult. The only change I am making to it is to add some night sights. Going to try the Truglo TFX Pro sights and see how they do. The OEM 3 dots worked fine in daylight.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

I've carried my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly as my EDC for two years. Only change is Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight and charger rear sight. Over 2000 rounds. Completed KR Training's Defensive Pistol Skills Program https://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/d ... ogram.html and other classes. Now competing in USPSA matches. Shot 149 rounds Wednesday. No issues. No problems.

My youngest brother carries an M&P M2.0 Shield 9mm and my 21 year old son carries an M&P M2.0 9mm Compact. No issues, no problems.

While no brand is flawless, S&W M&P M2.0s have been issue-free for me and mine.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Folks,

I appreciate the replies. All of my 1.0 M&Ps are great once the triggers were tuned up and the sights were replaced. I have made expert is SSP and ESP in IDPA shooting those pistols. My mistake was buying them shortly after they came out. I have heard that there were problems with the early triggers and that changes have been made to the pistols coming out now. I know the back straps are made wrong because they sent me several of the full size (wrong size) 2.0 back straps when I first got the pistols and they are much different (not nearly as aggressive). It just pains me that they will be going back to the factory for the third time for the same reason (it is 1 1/2 hour round trip for me to take them to Fed Ex every time they go back). One would think that they could get this right the first time. Will let you know how this goes. The triggers can be greatly improved by Dan Burwell but the back straps require factory attention.

jeffbird
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jeffbird »

Why do you have to send the pistol back for different backstraps?

Seems like they should just mail you one each of the four sizes of the correct backstraps.

Topic author
LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Jeffbird,

I would like to know that as well but they won't send replacements. The ones I have now are so aggressive that I can't wear the pistols inside the waist band as the sides of the back strap are so aggressive. They are also hard on the shirts that I wear for cover garments. It is their nickel to ship the pistols as they issue a call tag but I still have to make the drive to ship them then wait around most of the day when they ship them back. The third trip will be the last, one way or the other.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

LTUME1978 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm Jeffbird,

I would like to know that as well but they won't send replacements. The ones I have now are so aggressive that I can't wear the pistols inside the waist band as the sides of the back strap are so aggressive. They are also hard on the shirts that I wear for cover garments. It is their nickel to ship the pistols as they issue a call tag but I still have to make the drive to ship them then wait around most of the day when they ship them back. The third trip will be the last, one way or the other.
Sandpaper. Some my buddies who carry their M&P M2.0s concealed use fine sandpaper to gentle the agressive grip. Or they wear a t-shirt. My brother and son carry theirs IWB with no trouble. I just carry OWB openly.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Sandpaper. Some my buddies who carry their M&P M2.0s concealed use fine sandpaper to gentle the agressive grip. Or they wear a t-shirt. My brother and son carry theirs IWB with no trouble. I just carry OWB openly.

Topic author
LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

oljames3 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I talked to S&W about doing just that. They told me that, if I sanded on the back straps even a small amount, the warranty would be void. They really box us in. Will see what comes back from the third trip.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I talked to S&W about doing just that. They told me that, if I sanded on the back straps even a small amount, the warranty would be void. They really box us in. Will see what comes back from the third trip.
Does this voiding of the warranty include trigger modifications, sight replacement, or application of grip tape?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”