Mag capacity + 1 or just what it holds

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Mag capacity + 1 or just what it holds

Post by cmgee67 »

I began thinking. Is it better to carry 15+1 in a gun that has a 15 round mag or is it better to carry 15 in the mag rack one in and leave it at that. I know some guns I have had when loaded to capacity then rack one and then top off the mag and insert, it would put a lot of pressure on the mag and slide and become difficult to insert. For this reason and increased reliability I download my AR mag 1-2 rounds depending on the spring...

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Mag capacity + 1 or just what it holds

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have heard it done both ways but I have not been able to tell a difference in any of my magazines.

I do have a Kahr or two that has complained about a full mag plus one. I don't know if it is a Kahr issue or just my bad luck.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

All my firearms are loaded mag capacity +1. I see it as you (and your gun) should be used to +1 because if you are ever in a bad situation requiring a tactical reload you’ll be putting in a full magazine with one in the chamber already.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

Since we always know well ahead of time when or even if we will need to use our weapon for self defense it is obviously better to carry with only the number of rounds held in the magazine itself thereby rendering it to be a very oversize very complicated very expensive paperweight at all times. Except of course during our previously scheduled and planned for life and death event when we'll chamber a round two minutes prior and be properly prepared as we should have been all along.
Last edited by LDB415 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

My Glocks have never had the issue but a 45 shield was a little harder to rack if loaded full plus one. It never one time malfunctioned so that’s how I used it.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Full mag + 1 for me.

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Full mag +1 for me as well.
Truth against the world

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

txhighlander wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:30 pm Full mag +1 for me as well.
:iagree:

All of firearms (that use magazines) in my house are loaded with full mag +1.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It seems most of us are full mag plus one. There was a theory bantered about a few years ago that keeping the mags stuffed full for prolonged periods would affect the springs. Anything to this?

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm It seems most of us are full mag plus one. There was a theory bantered about a few years ago that keeping the mags stuffed full for prolonged periods would affect the springs. Anything to this?
Well, while anecdotal at best, my Kimber has been loaded mag+1 for about 4 years w/o a trip to the range and my stock Kimber mags are still fine. My AR (Ruger AR-556) has been loaded the same for about a year and a half with the same results.

/shrug

couzin

Post by couzin »

cmgee67 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:56 pm My Glocks have never had the issue but a 45 shield was a little harder to rack if loaded full plus one
Why would you 'rack' a fully loaded gun? First round goes bang and second round will chamber. Am I missing something? If you are doing it in order to clear the weapon of rounds you are doing it wrong (IMHO).
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm It seems most of us are full mag plus one. There was a theory bantered about a few years ago that keeping the mags stuffed full for prolonged periods would affect the springs. Anything to this?
Conventional wisdom states it doesn't hurt the mags. I keep all my mags fully loaded and they all still have good springs. Plastic Mags though can weaken and have the lips spread. I use a cap to mitigate this.

I don't bother with the plus 1. My smallest handgun holds 12 rounds and I carry a spare. I don't believe 1 extra round will make any difference. Now if my handgun mags had a capacity of 6. 7 or 8 I would reconsider this practice, Bu I'm comfortable with carrying 1 shy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flechero

+ 1 is no harder on the gun or mag

Post by flechero »

Springs weaken primarily by cycling them... so your range mags will wear much faster than the mags you leave loaded. I've left mags loaded for years with no ill effects. And I've worn out range mags inside of several months.

As to the +1 debate- it takes the exact same pressure to insert a full mag into a closed gun as it does to reinsert the topped off mag into the gun before you add the +1

Another way- it's the same as those who carry a full mag in the gun without 1 in the chamber.

I don't get bent over it... I don't always go back and find another round to top a mag off. (I always shoot the loaded round on my range trips) so sometimes I even end up a round short of a full mag in my loaded carry gun. And yes, I always carry with 1 in the chamber. The important thing is that you have your gun.

If I leave the house with 14 rounds vs 15 rounds, well, I'm comfortable either way. It's a lot better than the J frame I used to carry with 5 rounds and a speed strip. :shock:

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i personally carry 15+1 in my M&P 40 and I don't feel any difference when inserting the mag. havent had any issues with feeding either. I will say that if you carry +1 just be sure not to cycle the same round each time. typically when i clean my gun Ill swap out my +1 round for a new round just to keep the same round from being cycled over and over each time i do my monthly inspections/cleanings. but like mentioned earlier the important thing is that you have your gun.
NRA Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I’m a mag+1 in the pipe guy. But I also primarily carry a single stack 380 pocket gun so I need every round. I also like 15+1 in my full size too. I take my tactics from watching documentaries on Military History Channel where the SEALs and other assorted tough guys say stuff like two is one, and one is none. And my Marine Vietnam Vet HS history teacher, who said...there’s no ice cream truck driving around the jungle handing out rifle magazines, and Charlie ain’t gonna give you any of his. :biggrinjester:

ETA: Yeah he really said stuff like that... Thanks SSGT Moore!

For my AR15s I keep a couple loaded 30rd mags around, but I generally don’t insert them and chamber unless the zombies are coming or in case of major civil insurrection... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”