How "Prepped" Are you?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How "Prepped" Are you?

Post by J.R.@A&M »

troglodyte wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 pm We will need to form larger communities and reestablish a rudimentary government for any of us to survive, short of being a hermit in the mountains somewhere.
This is truer than I would like to admit. And has been for a long time -- I say that because just yesterday I was watching a documentary about the competition between Neanderthal humans and modern humans in southwest Europe. What apparently doomed the Neanderthals was that they lived in small, self-sufficient units. That worked fine for thousands of years, but when they ran into competition, they found themselves in too small numbers to defend themselves, much less continue to breed. Self-sufficiency is a good thing for some circumstances, but not for others.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

One of the great things about getting 'long in the tooth' is not worrying much about survival.

Except for my wife, all my loved ones have moved away and my neighbors (for the most part) are great, but I wouldn't impose...if they've prepped and I haven't too bad for me...

I'd give away all my guns, ammo, house, autos, tools, generator, whatever they could use to help them in their struggle to survive and then quietly trundle off into oblivion...

I'm not sticking around to suffer if we're talking nuke fall out.

Standard issue fighting yeah, I'll fight, but suffer radioactivity disease, nope...they can take our bodies out, let the vultures have em, and do as they wish with all my stuff after with my blessing...

I'd write it down (to whom it may concern type of declaration) so they wouldn't potentially suffer any sort of guilt for using my stuff. I'd make certain they have my heartiest blessing to survive using my gear/house/whatever...

The thing many simply can't accept is: Croaking. (forgive me a slight bit of meandering)

Like it or not, all are programmed to die at some point. Facing something as catastrophic as the end of the world as we know it, nah, not for me. I went many a year as a boy in god awful survival situations. I'm no longer willing to do so now.

Having experienced going for days on end without food or water, (you actually can last longer than 3 days without water, not a lot longer, but some...) sleeping under overpasses, breaking into barns to sleep the night with broken bales of hay for blanket type cover, or abandoned cars and I'll stop there. There's worse I've not mentioned, but you get the general idea. It was miserable.

At my now rather advanced age, suffering like that and worse, nope...

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I belonged to a group of people who were interested in prepping for a number of years. As part of that, I did a methodical look, from my perspective, at potential emergency situations. For example, what would happen if a toxic tank car(s) on the railroad in Ft. Worth caused a massive evacuation? I tried to build a list of the possible situations and then run it from very short term to much longer term impacts. I tried to look at the different things that would have to be added to preparations in order to extend my family's ability to survive or at least continue living reasonably.

There was a very interesting blog on the AR-15 forum by a fellow who lived through the Alabama tornadoes a few years back. Several of my take-aways from reading those accounts were:
1.Society deteriorates quickly, in less than 24 hours. For example, the fellow and several his neighbors had backup generators and several of those generators were stolen before they formed a neighborhood watch.
2. Communications is essential and they were Hams and used 2 meter radios to stay in contact. Keeping the batteries charged on the handi-talkies was an important aspect. They had limited success with an other type of communications device. Depending on how widespread the problem is, different bands may be needed to get information.
3. It is unlikely that single people/families will fare well. An association of like minded neighbors is important. I've tried to cultivate enough people nearby so that we could share security if needed.
4. Sometimes the best solution is to get away from the "epicenter" of the situation. Being able to accomplish a larger scale "bug out" might be the solution. Accordingly, I developed a list which I could load into the RV quickly and be able to get many miles away (including staying away from potentially clogged major arteries) quickly.

I've read several of the EMP related stories. Though they are fiction and no one knows what will actually happen, the considerations raised in those books provide many considerations for planning and prepping.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I've had experience with several hurricanes and tropical storms and years of training, so I'd say I'm prepped above average.

There's good info at: Ready.gov

Local CERT training is free

...as is Stop the Bleed
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm I keep a running list of people nearby who stock food and water. Especially the anti gun people. :biggrinjester:
First come first served.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AndyC wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:55 pm For interests' sake:

I just buy dehydrated dihydrogen monoxide.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

[/quote]
I just buy dehydrated dihydrogen monoxide.
[/quote]

I keep a full case of this just in case. The trouble is that it has a short shelf life.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

We went through more than a few of the "prepping phases" after we moved out of the city to become economically self sustainable. The exploding can phase came right in the middle of the no debt phase. The whole "which one to eat first" thing apparently didn't work very well for us. We made a forced move from can's immediately when they started going off. We bought enough square stackable 30 year shelf life beans, rice, wheat and oats buckets to last 10 heavily armed adults with kids for 2 years (highly rationed) with zero input from livestock and gardening. Stack it, forget it and hope we never need it works for us. If a mouse can store enough food for winter no reason why I can't.

Prepping is just planning but planning wont put humans in a group with a label. The ability to think ahead and plan accordingly, years and even decades in advance should be a normal human action but it's not. Many humans can't plan 5 minutes in advance of exiting the freeway and have to cross 5 lanes of traffic in 300' to make their exit. Life is full of exits and those who fail to plan are gonna crash at somepoint, affecting others around them. To what degree is unknown but since we've lost our morality you can bet it will be violent if one is in the immediate vicinity of a crashing human. We're all consumers now until theirs nothing left to consume or our income / economy / dollars don't allow us the ability to consume at the same level of comfort we're accustomed to. We wont be having any of that. The Government will take my neighbors stuff and give it to me and if they aren't around i'll get it myself.

We've been planning for and watching with great amazement, the Petro Dollar's Exit. All the other Zombie calamities will be a walk in the park as long as we don't run out of coffee...
III

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

AndyC wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:55 pm For interests' sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoEn5kfpTYI
Grandpa had a big version of that water purification equipment back in the woods.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

:thumbs2: I think he calls it uisge beatha which he says means water of life.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Return to “Off-Topic”