3 D Printed guns in the news

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

3 D Printed guns in the news

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... guns-issue

So 3 D printed guns have been in the main stream news for days now, I assume due to this judges ruling that its to have the files.

My wife got all upset with the news that it was legal to have 3D plans for a gun, she's not a gun person. Knows that I have guns, but doesn't want to know about it.

I tried to calmly as I could explain that this does not really affect people in the US, it is mainly for people who live in Europe or Australia. She was still upset. Said we are all going to be killed by criminals with 3 D printed guns.

I explained to my wife that no criminal worth his salt would actually go out and buy a computer, 3 D printer and print his own gun, especially the one in the picture in this article. I told her that real guns are easy for criminals to get, they would never need to 3 D print a gun.

My main point. Are these 3 D printed guns just the worst gun you have ever seen?

I know it is an early technology, they will get better, but really.

Trump is actually going to spend time reviewing this. Really.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

Re: 3 D Printed guns in the news

Post by TreyHouston »

Computer, 3D printer, material and program would cost 1000’s. Buying a gun off the street thats serial number has been filed off is less than $100.
What do you think criminals will use :confused5
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

I think it’s all political.
Would a criminal, or anyone for that matter, spend thousands on a 3D printer and material and files and build a gun that has a very limited life, or just buy a real gun for a couple hundred dollars that last much longer and has higher capacity?
Just a big nothing burger, booger, whatever.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

If I understand it the ban was on the plans for making the gun. Is it illegal to have the blueprint for a full auto AK-47? Is it even illegal to have the plans for a nuclear bomb? The issue is technically more one of free speech than gun ownership.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Lots of folks will get confused and believe it is now okay to manufacture one of these guns which to my understanding would be illegal unless you go through proper federal paperwork channels and include a serial number on the newly manufactured gun. Would there also be a difference between the mere manufacture and possession of such a gun vs. manufacture of the gun for sale?
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

lama

Post by lama »

dlh wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:52 am Lots of folks will get confused and believe it is now okay to manufacture one of these guns which to my understanding would be illegal unless you go through proper federal paperwork channels and include a serial number on the newly manufactured gun. Would there also be a difference between the mere manufacture and possession of such a gun vs. manufacture of the gun for sale?
My understanding is making these guns was and is legal. Just as slam fire shotguns and other homemade guns (assuming they are not full auto) is and has been legal. The issue at hand in the case was providing the data files to the public.

Selling them would require you to have all the requisite licenses, or be in tremendously hot water.

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

dlh wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:52 am Lots of folks will get confused and believe it is now okay to manufacture one of these guns which to my understanding would be illegal unless you go through proper federal paperwork channels and include a serial number on the newly manufactured gun.
I can 3D print a gun. I can machine/complete an 80% lower. I can build a firearm of my own design. No paperwork necessary if they're for my own use, and no serial numbers required (except in California, etc.)

All that was true before this recent court ruling. The ruling concerned itself with the plans by DD, which were recognized as protected speech.

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

I am in San Francisco, yes I feel naked without protection, and the people here are going apoplectic over this. People on the TV saying you are going to be on a plane with the person next to you has a undetectable ghost gun. On the train... in the supermarket the person next to you will have a ghost assault weapon.

And it's all the fault of Trump because he dropped the suit against cody Wilson. Oh yeah Texas too. It's their fault as well. If they would institute common sense gun control...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

dlh

Post by dlh »

apostate wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:30 pm
dlh wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:52 am Lots of folks will get confused and believe it is now okay to manufacture one of these guns which to my understanding would be illegal unless you go through proper federal paperwork channels and include a serial number on the newly manufactured gun.
I can 3D print a gun. I can machine/complete an 80% lower. I can build a firearm of my own design. No paperwork necessary if they're for my own use, and no serial numbers required (except in California, etc.)

All that was true before this recent court ruling. The ruling concerned itself with the plans by DD, which were recognized as protected speech.
Thanks for the clarification. I recall here while back a business that manufactured lowers was not keeping proper sales records and paperwork. The feds shut em down and they went out of business.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TreyHouston »

Syntyr wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:48 pm I am in San Francisco, yes I feel naked without protection, and the people here are going apoplectic over this. People on the TV saying you are going to be on a plane with the person next to you has a undetectable ghost gun. On the train... in the supermarket the person next to you will have a ghost assault weapon.

And it's all the fault of Trump because he dropped the suit against cody Wilson. Oh yeah Texas too. It's their fault as well. If they would institute common sense gun control...
How do you get the bullets past TSA? They even take nail clippers!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

TreyHouston wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:08 pm
Syntyr wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:48 pm I am in San Francisco, yes I feel naked without protection, and the people here are going apoplectic over this. People on the TV saying you are going to be on a plane with the person next to you has a undetectable ghost gun. On the train... in the supermarket the person next to you will have a ghost assault weapon.

How do you get the bullets past TSA? They even take nail clippers!
Ghost bullets for a ghost gun right...

I stopped expecting the TV talking heads from using logic a long time ago.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Anyone who thinks that the government can control this is deluding himself. Just look at their smashing success with controlling file sharing in general.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Post by philip964 »

I was flipping thru channels on the radio in the car and heard 3D printed gun and stopped flipping and listened.

It was NPR. The were going ape with the AG of Pennsylvania over 3D printed guns.

Apparently it’s all Texas’s fault as some Texas Company is maybe the one trying to distribute the plans on line.

To NPR’s credit they brought up the lack of longevity of the gun, small capacity and some other faults in a question to the A G and he answered a different question about how he was protecting 2A rights while trying to shut down this avenue for felons to illegally make a gun.

Made it all sound as if this was the number one problem facing his state.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:08 pm I was flipping thru channels on the radio in the car and heard 3D printed gun and stopped flipping and listened.

It was NPR. The were going ape with the AG of Pennsylvania over 3D printed guns.

Apparently it’s all Texas’s fault as some Texas Company is maybe the one trying to distribute the plans on line.

To NPR’s credit they brought up the lack of longevity of the gun, small capacity and some other faults in a question to the A G and he answered a different question about how he was protecting 2A rights while trying to shut down this avenue for felons to illegally make a gun.

Made it all sound as if this was the number one problem facing his state.
Idiots, morons and liberals....but I repeat myself
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

The First Amendment
void where prohibited by activist judges

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”