Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

BBYC
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Post by BBYC »

Yes. I know where every firearm and every round of ammunition is at all times. If I am not wearing it or using it, it is locked up and on camera. It is called not having enough guns.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

montgomery
Posts in topic: 5

Post by montgomery »

BBYC wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm
Yes. I know where every firearm and every round of ammunition is at all times. If I am not wearing it or using it, it is locked up and on camera. It is called not having enough guns.
You sound like my wife.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

My daughter was killed by a gun stolen out of an unlocked vehicle so excuse me if I am among those that consider not knowing where firearms are or leaving them accessible to others not authorized to have access as reckless and irresponsible.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Teamless,

Take a close look at your door locks. What they do now is to jamb a flat-bladed screwdriver in the key slot and then twist it with pliers or a wrench. It breaks the lock internally and the only sign it ever happened is that the key slot is mangled.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

montgomery wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm My daughter was killed by a gun stolen out of an unlocked vehicle so excuse me if I am among those that consider not knowing where firearms are or leaving them accessible to others not authorized to have access as reckless and irresponsible.
I am sorry for your loss.

Understand:
Do I sound HAPPY my gun was stolen?
No
Do I understand the possible ramifications?
Of course

Unless she was killed in the past few days, it wasn’t my gun

And it still doesn’t, in my book anyway, give the right to be on your righteous horse

That’s the same excuse that “moms demand action” and all the others use to want to take away all guns.

But my GUN , unless she was
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm Teamless,

Take a close look at your door locks. What they do now is to jamb a flat-bladed screwdriver in the key slot and then twist it with pliers or a wrench. It breaks the lock internally and the only sign it ever happened is that the key slot is mangled.
Thanks PawPaw
I will check when I return back to IAH
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

EL29jm

Post by EL29jm »

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm Teamless,

Take a close look at your door locks.
Another good one is a small hole from a small screwdriver just below the door lock. Broke into a Chrysler but nothing of value stolen. Of course it was a Chrysler so they left the car.
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

make sure they didn't get a garage door opener, if you had one in there, that's what they are really looking for. They'll get a garage door opener and either your insurance card or a piece of mail and wait for your home to be empty....then they have entry.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Glad you got the gun back. I have a locker down safe I keep a spare pistol in, and a locked setup for my ar under the back seat. However I do keep a 22 rifle in the backseat all the time and sometimes a 308... both cheap guns. Do I worry about them being stolen? Not really. I keep my truck locked. The windows are tinted, and if they break in, I'm not going to hold myself responsible for what a criminal does with a stolen gun. I use the safe sometimes for my keys since the truck has keyless entry on the door. Yeah I know... one day the battery will be dead and I'll be breaking a window. Yes I know the console safe is not foolproof, but it will take them longer than they are probably willing to spend... even then they will only find a $200 pistol :mrgreen:

Yes I do check to make sure the rifles are there everyday.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

TheSinistral

Post by TheSinistral »

One Saturday night After taking catfish out to clean I forgot to circle back and lock the truck. I lost $3. ( My lucky day) They left behind a Damascus knife and $800+ in fishing rods. Police said that 40+ houses hit that night. It's calling "popping". "Probably kids" the office said. They just walk by and check for unlocked vehicles looking for cash, small electronics and guns.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

Teamless wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:19 pm
montgomery wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 am
Teamless wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 pm I have no idea how or when or where it was taken
:banghead:
Knock your head as long as you want to
Do you inspect every gun you own every day?
Mine are locked in safe's if they are not on/about my person. My house and car have alarms. Car has a lockbox. House has video as well. Trunk is decent for car storage of long-guns, which don't fit in the lockbox.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

SewTexas wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm make sure they didn't get a garage door opener, if you had one in there, that's what they are really looking for. They'll get a garage door opener and either your insurance card or a piece of mail and wait for your home to be empty....then they have entry.
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am
SewTexas wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm make sure they didn't get a garage door opener, if you had one in there, that's what they are really looking for. They'll get a garage door opener and either your insurance card or a piece of mail and wait for your home to be empty....then they have entry.
it happened to us back when we lived in CO Springs. This is from personal experience. We now keep our garage door locked, with a dead-bolt. And we try to keep the cars clean and less of a target.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

SewTexas wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 pm
Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am
it happened to us back when we lived in CO Springs. This is from personal experience. We now keep our garage door locked, with a dead-bolt. And we try to keep the cars clean and less of a target.
Sorry about your experience. I really hate badguys that break into homes. Awful!

You have excellent advice! In my experience keeping cars clean works the best, but I re-enforce my garage too. The remotes and emergency release are too easy of a target

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I've always taken an interest in security. whether it physical or digital security, and I've always wondered why they dont make garage door openers with programmable key codes... like pull up in your driveway and punch in your code on the remote and it opens... i know they make "keyless entry" garage doors but they still have the 1 button remote entries.
NRA Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”