District of Columbia CCL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: District of Columbia CCL

Post by Paladin »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:06 pm The license is good for two years from date of issue. All handguns to be carried must first be registered with DC MPD. You can only have ammunition in the District that fits your registered gun. No mags over 10 rd and if you carry with one in the pipe you can only have 9 in the mag. Only one full mag reload worth of ammo carried on you for a total max of 20 rd. If you have a revolver max 12 rd. 6 in the gun, 6 for reload.
The bad guys don't have these limits and criminals legally don't have to register their guns (Haynes v. United States). Only honest people do.

Those rules sound absurd.

Particularly in light of the Seth Rich and Jack Burkman shootings

But I guess highly restricted carry is better than your bare hands.

I hope this situation improves over time. There is no reason the badguys should have the advantage over the good guys.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ScottDLS »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:20 am
ScottDLS wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:06 pm The license is good for two years from date of issue. All handguns to be carried must first be registered with DC MPD. You can only have ammunition in the District that fits your registered gun. No mags over 10 rd and if you carry with one in the pipe you can only have 9 in the mag. Only one full mag reload worth of ammo carried on you for a total max of 20 rd. If you have a revolver max 12 rd. 6 in the gun, 6 for reload.
The bad guys don't have these limits and criminals legally don't have to register their guns (Haynes v. United States). Only honest people do.

I hope this situation improves over time. There is no reason the badguys should have the advantage over the good guys.
The only credit I'll give them is it's better than New York City or San Fran and LA in California, where you simply CAN'T have a carry permit.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

I did not know about the Haynes case. That is messed up on many different levels. To paraphrase: You broke a law, and that means you don't have to comply with another law which would reveal that you are a criminal breaking the law.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Lynyrd wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 am

I did not know about the Haynes case. That is messed up on many different levels. To paraphrase: You broke a law, and that means you don't have to comply with another law which would reveal that you are a criminal breaking the law.
It is messed up. Next time you hear about how the gun grabbers want to register guns... remember that only applies to law abiding people. They won't be registering guns of the criminals.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Update.

Well I didn't think I'd be back so soon since DC Metro PD told me it would be at least 90 days wait for my CC Permit. Today I received a call from MPD a permit unit Sergeant. They were telling me I was approved and asking which of the two guns that I filled out registration forms for that I wanted to be covered by my permit fee. One is free, every one after that is $13. I actually had already paid the $13 for the second one and told her the receipt should be on file or I could bring it. She then said she saw it so would register both handguns and that the "card" would be in the mail. She said she was entering the gun registration information in the system right now.

Now if they actually mail me my permit this week, I should get it in a few days. I would be shocked because that would make the process of getting a permit in the 99% anti-gun District of Columbia about 75 days faster than my first Texas CHL in 1996. My one thought is that the "card" could be the registration card for the firearms which is also required to be carried along with the permit. Maybe they wait the full 90 days to mail out the permit even though I was told that I passed the background check and was approved. I should have asked but I was too shocked that it was back so soon. :shock:

Whenever I get it, I'll post a photo of it with my personal info blacked out. Then it will be time for a Walgreens walk from Virginia across the Key Bridge to Georgetown. As far as I know no Walmarts in DC. If there are... any my permit would come in handy because they're undoubtedly in a terrible part of town (i.e. SouthEast). :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Good luck ScottDLS!

I visited D.C. years ago and I was appalled by the blatant racism by black folk toward my Dad and I.

Given that experience, I've never been interested in going back...ever.

Was our experience a one off?

Maybe, but I doubt it as it came from different black people in D.C.

And no, I'm not a ... just pointing out that racism is a two way street.

I won't pretend otherwise as it happened and I will mention it.

If not PC, tough noogies.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 pm Update:

I finished the class including the shooting portion on Sunday, July 1 at a range in Upper Marlboro, MD since DC has no ranges. I shot a box of 9mm out of the instructor's Glock 17. We did a number of ranges 3 yds, 7yds, 15yds, and 25yds. I got them all on the target though the 25yd shots were low and spread wide. Everything else was COM except for 4 head shots that were part of drill. They were center and in a vertical line...

-There is no DC MPD course of fire. The instructor designed his own. He was a DC Special Police Officer (like Tom Morris on LivePD :lol: ). Since his firm provides private security throughout DC, he focused on defensive shooting and justification.
-The weapons part of the DC criminal code is not that long (I read all of it). It seems to be very generic with a lot dating from the 1970's and some to 1932. It seems there would be a lot of gray areas and "discretion".
-I get the impression the DC CCW program is pretty ad hoc. It only dates to 2014 and shall issue to last year. I don't think that many people have one and press reports suggest most are non-residents. I read one statistic that 124 had been issued in 2017. The court decision making DC shall issue wasn't till later in the year.
-I suspect most DC and Federal LEO won't be familiar with DC CCW, so carriers beware...
-All Federal restrictions apply, so no carry in Federal office buildings, courts, Capitol, etc. This could be seen as a problem, but in my opinion, the parts of DC where you really would want to carry are not where the well guarded Federal facilities are.
-If you choose to carry you may find yourself having to return home or hotel to put away your weapon because there are so many restricted places. Below is a list of restricted areas from DC CCW site.
1.Shall not carry a pistol while consuming alcohol or while impaired.
2.A building or office occupied by the District of Columbia or its agencies.
3.The building and grounds, including any adjacent parking lot of a childcare facility, preschool, elementary or secondary school, or a public or private college or university.
4.A hospital or an office where medical or mental health services are the primary services provided.
5.A penal institution, secure juvenile residential facility, or halfway house.
6.A polling place while voting is occurring.
7.A public transportation vehicle, including the Metrorail transit system and its stations.
8.Any premises where alcohol is served, sold and consumed on the premises (pursuant to license issued under Title 25 of D.C. Code)
9.Stadium or Arena
10.Public Gathering or special event open to the public when the organizer has provided notice and posted signage prohibiting the carrying of pistols in advance of the gathering or special event.
11.The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency, including the U.S. Capitol buildings and grounds.
12.The area around the White House ( between Constitution Ave. and H St. and between 15th St. and 17th St. NW)
13.The U.S. Naval Observatory and its grounds (from the perimeter of its fence to the curb of Massachusetts Ave. NW from 34th St. south on Massachusetts Ave to Observatory Circle NW)
14.When a dignitary or high-ranking official of the United States or a state, local, or foreign government is moving under the protection of the MPD, the U.S Secret Service, the U.S Capitol Police, or other law enforcement agency that does not include a distance greater than 1,000 feet from the moving dignitary. ( provided notice has been given by signs or an officer’s order)
15.A Demonstration in a public place (within a perimeter of 1,000 feet designated by a law enforcement agency, and notice has been given by signs or an officer’s order)
16.On private residential property unless authorized by the property owner.
17.A place of religious worship unless authorized by the owner or authorized agent.
18.Non-residential property that is posted with conspicuous signage prohibiting the carrying of a concealed pistol.
Monday I am going to DC MPD to drop off my application and certificate and get photo/fingerprints. When I get back to DC July 16 I will bring the forms to register my two pistols that I want to carry (Beretta 92SF and Walther PPK/s. They supposedly have 90 days to issue or deny. Reports are 75 days is typical.

-Scott
So, in other words, the only lawful place you can carry with this here DC license is pretty much Texas?

Topic author
ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:53 pm Good luck ScottDLS!

I visited D.C. years ago and I was appalled by the blatant racism by black folk toward my Dad and I.

Given that experience, I've never been interested in going back...ever.

Was our experience a one off?

Maybe, but I doubt it as it came from different black people in D.C.

And no, I'm not a ... just pointing out that racism is a two way street.

I won't pretend otherwise as it happened and I will mention it.

If not PC, tough noogies.
I usually stay in Virginia and ride the metro into DC. My impression of the District is that the nicer areas (Northwest and around the Capitol) are pretty friendly. I had my family up for a couple days to visit and we felt ok visiting the sights. My CCW training class was about 50/50 black and white and the instructor was black and a DC Special Police Officer. I felt pretty comfortable with the people that were in the class and didn't feel like I was getting the "stink eye" for being too pale :lol: . Everybody I dealt with at Metro PD was minority probably reflecting the demographic of the District generally. Surprisingly, the permit unit officers were all quite helpful. Maybe they're happy to finally have something to do!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Congrats ScottDLS! :cheers2:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am I was approved .......... <snip>
:shock:

:hurry:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Update

OK. Came home tonight from DC and I had my District of Columbia CCPL in the mail. 7/9 app submitted and 8/2 issue date, probably came in the mail 3 or 4 days later. Less than 30 days. My first Texas one in 1996 took almost 6 months.

Also my 2 pistol registration certificates (required for each pistol you carry or possess in the District) came in the same envelope. Sunday I'm going up for work. I'll be bringing the Walther/S&W PPK/s and two 7 rd mags to do my Walgreens walk. I'm staying in Virginia, and National Airport is in VA, but I'll check and lock in the room safe. I also have a VA CCL, but Texas is recognized there anyway and they are easy to get. DC...I think I'm one of 400-500 total licenses issued since they went shall issue in October 2017. I attached a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Permit2.jpg
Attachments
Image9.jpg
Image9.jpg

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Congrats, Scott!!

Great story, and great job of keeping us updated, on the whole process. I just wonder how many Liberal/Leftists heads would explode, if they knew that someone from Texas has a DC carry permit? :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Congrats and thanks for sharing the journey... :thumbs2: :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:11 am Update

OK. Came home tonight from DC and I had my District of Columbia CCPL in the mail. 7/9 app submitted and 8/2 issue date, probably came in the mail 3 or 4 days later. Less than 30 days. My first Texas one in 1996 took almost 6 months.

Also my 2 pistol registration certificates (required for each pistol you carry or possess in the District) came in the same envelope. Sunday I'm going up for work. I'll be bringing the Walther/S&W PPK/s and two 7 rd mags to do my Walgreens walk. I'm staying in Virginia, and National Airport is in VA, but I'll check and lock in the room safe. I also have a VA CCL, but Texas is recognized there anyway and they are easy to get. DC...I think I'm one of 400-500 total licenses issued since they went shall issue in October 2017. I attached a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Permit2.jpg
Very cool. Hopefully good law-abiding citizens of DC will start getting more carry licenses issued.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”