Child support arrears

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

dlsgap
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Child support arrears

Post by dlsgap »

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it in a Google search for information. I'm supposed to be taking my chl class this coming weekend and I have a situation which may make me ineligible to receive my license. I changed jobs towards the end of last year and even though i provided my company with all of my child support information, they neglected from deducting it from payroll for about 3 months. I spoke with my ex regarding the matter and she wouldn't take a check from me in the mean time while waiting for the payroll deductions to start, just said it was OK and she'd wait for the company to get on the ball. well I don't think either of us thought it would take as long as it did, and as a result, i'm now in arrears for that 3 month period. I've been paying regularly since and hadn't thought twice about it.

As for how someone could afford to take the chl course while in arrears... well i believe my situation is unique regarding the arrears... and my girlfriend at the time(fiance' now) got the course for us both on a Groupon deal last winter as part of my Christmas gift.

SO, given my situation, Should i even bother taking the class?

o b juan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by o b juan »

As I understand it; if she hasnt filed on you with the Atty.Genl you are safe until she files against you
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

that is probably true, how are they to know that you are behind if she hasn't filed? you offered to make good, she declined, not that you could probably prove it now :???:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

dlsgap
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlsgap »

SewTexas wrote:not that you could probably prove it now :???:

Exactly.

Panda

Post by Panda »

dlsgap wrote: my girlfriend at the time(fiance' now) got the course for us both on a Groupon deal last winter as part of my Christmas gift.

SO, given my situation, Should i even bother taking the class?
She already paid so you might as well take the class. If you have a good instructor, you will learn things that are useful even if you dont get a CHL. If its a bad instructor, you can save her from sitting through the class without you, and you can laugh about it later. Plus you can use the Texas class to get a Florida license. :mrgreen:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Simply being behind in child support payments is not a CHL disqualifier.

The statute has language in it similar to "finally determined to be delinquent".

You are behind, but nothing you pointed to indicated any kind of hearing nor any kind of final ruling.

I cannot quote the statute from my phone, but google CHL-16.pdf from the DPS and search for the word delinquent. It is pretty easy to find.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jumping Frog wrote:Simply being behind in child support payments is not a CHL disqualifier.

The statute has language in it similar to "finally determined to be delinquent".

You are behind, but nothing you pointed to indicated any kind of hearing nor any kind of final ruling.

I cannot quote the statute from my phone, but google CHL-16.pdf from the DPS and search for the word delinquent. It is pretty easy to find.
Here you go: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetfo ... chl-16.pdf
GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY. (a) A person is eligible for a license to
carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a
child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
If the Attorney General of the state of Texas has not "finally determined" (after due process) that you are delinquent in making payments collected by the state of Texas, then you're good to go.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ringler0614

Post by Ringler0614 »

:nono: don't judge someone without knowing the story. Just because someone owes back child support, doesn't mean they are not supporting their child. My husband, according to the state owes back child support. My husband always paid as it came out of his check. Well his ex wife relapsed and went to rehab. When this happened, his son came and lived with us. Shortly after, he was laid off from work so the child support stopped. We didn't pay her directly because we now had him and she agreed to that. When he went back to work they started taking it out again. The state is saying we owe back child support during the time he was out of work even his son was living with us and still lives with us. We are on a payment plan and paying it back. Luckily she has been giving the money right back to us. Neither one of us want to have to go back to court to change the order takes to much time and money. So please understand the situation before making assumptions

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

You win the internet today for thread necromancy.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Welcome to the forum Ringler0614!! :tiphat:

Kind of a strange place to start your posting, in a 5 year old thread, but we are glad you are here. I assume, by your post you are female? (not wanting to assume too much these days) But please join in and discuss your LTC history, if any, and take a look at the ladies, topic, they have a lot of good info, directed towards women, regarding carry options etc., and you can add your experiences, and insight as well.

:thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero

Post by flechero »

I spoke with my ex regarding the matter and she wouldn't take a check from me
If the ex wouldn't take a check and call it good... you need/want proof so I would make a call to the attorney that handles things and ask them to deliver payment and get a receipt.

If you are to the point that your employer is withholding CS, you are probably better off keeping everything documented and through an attorney. (even if on speaking terms with the ex)

Good luck!!

Return to “Instructors' Corner”