LA Passes Ordinance Requiring City Contractors To Disclose NRA Ties

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

LA Passes Ordinance Requiring City Contractors To Disclose NRA Ties

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/10 ... -nra-ties/
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – City contractors who have ties to the National Rifle Association must now disclose them, under a motion passed unanimously Wednesday by the Los Angeles City Council.

The motion, approved by a 10-0 vote, does not ban NRA-linked contractors from doing business with the city, but would require them to disclose any contracts or sponsorships they have with the gun rights advocacy group.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Re: LA Passes Ordinance Requiring City Contractors To Disclose NRA Ties

Post by mojo84 »

Doesn't seem like that would survive a Constitutional challenge. Not that they would care.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

La-La land. A lot of "news" seems to come from there. Little of it is good, but a good bit makes me wonder if recreational drugs have somehow infiltrated the water table.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

rotor

Post by rotor »

Scary stuff here. Next they will want to know your religion. Does anyone believe in the constitution in California?

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rotor wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 pm Scary stuff here. Next they will want to know your religion. Does anyone believe in the constitution in California?
[californian]You mean that outdated document written by a bunch if rich white slave owners?[/californian]
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

rotor wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 pm Scary stuff here. Next they will want to know your religion.
Sort of like calling for a ban on travel to the US for those of a certain religion? Yes, scary indeed, when we abandon Constitutional principles, in California or D.C.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Chaparral wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:40 pm
rotor wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 pm Scary stuff here. Next they will want to know your religion.
Sort of like calling for a ban on travel to the US for those of a certain religion? Yes, scary indeed, when we abandon Constitutional principles, in California or D.C.
What people were blocked from coming to America? Was Indonesia included in that ban? There are a billion or more Muslims on this planet. The countries included in the ban were nothing compared the people allowed to come over here. And besides, the Constitution does give the president authority to set immigration standards and rules.

I don't know why I even bothered to ask, there will only be a NPC reply.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

“For the sake of transparency, the city’s residents and stakeholders deserve to know how the city’s public funds are being spent, and whether taxpayer funds are being spent on contractors that have contractual or sponsorship ties with the NRA,” the motion states.
You think the city will be transparent enough to disclose what funds go to unplanned parenthood or another state's candidate for the Senate?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

There wasn't a ban based upon religion. There was a temporary ban on people from certain countries. It affected people of all religions from those countries.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

mojo84 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am There wasn't a ban based upon religion. There was a temporary ban on people from certain countries. It affected people of all religions from those countries.
:iagree:
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

mojo84 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am
There wasn't a ban based upon religion. There was a temporary ban on people from certain countries. It affected people of all religions from those countries.
Never allow facts to cloud a good character assassination
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

So it's a good thing that such bans don't happen in this country (at least not in my living history). Religious oppression is rampant in other countries, though. Particularly in the middle east. I would recommend that you go protest in those countries if this is something you care strongly about.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If this law is ruled constitutional, then I would love to see Texas require the same disclosure for any relationships with Planned Parenthood, and any organization that accepts any funds from George Soros.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:41 am If this law is ruled constitutional, then I would love to see Texas require the same disclosure for any relationships with Planned Parenthood, and any organization that accepts any funds from George Soros.
We should pass that law, then have our Solicitor General argue that it's unconstitutional when the case gets to SCOTUS. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:41 am If this law is ruled constitutional, then I would love to see Texas require the same disclosure for any relationships with Planned Parenthood, and any organization that accepts any funds from George Soros.
We should pass that law, then have our Solicitor General argue that it's unconstitutional when the case gets to SCOTUS. :lol:
I like the way you think

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”