Getting into ARs

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Getting into ARs

Post by Odinvalknir »

I am completely on educated when it comes to AR-15 rifles. A buddy of mine is selling off his stock of ARs and I am going to pick one up off of him just to get to know the platform and play around with. He has a Del-ton with quite a few aftermarket things on it like Magpul furniture and some sort of Red Dot sight as well as iron sights Etc. What I want to know is first is Delton a decent company to buy a lower end of the spectrum rifle, and with it being a lower side of the spectrum rifle would I still be able to change things like the handguard and stock and whatnot if I was to not like them with other companies stuff?

The other rifles he has for sale are,

Anderson and DPMS

All of them have red dot as well as iron sights, magpul furniture, 30rd mags, and strike industries charging handles.

jasday
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Getting into ARs

Post by jasday »

The great thing about the AR platform is that it is literally barbies for men. There's so many accessories on the market. From what I can see, Del-Ton follows milspec for ARs as most companies do. There are some commercial butt stocks out on the market that will not fit milspec butt stocks. Something to ask your buddy about. I dont know for sure but I do not think Magpul does commercial stocks. I could be wrong.

The forgings for the uppers and lowers generally come from a few companies, no matter who's logo is on it. The only difference that you may find is what the barrel is stamped with, 5.56, .223 or .223 wylde. It's a debatable topic but you can shoot 5.56 or 2.23 out of 5.56 or .223 wylde stamped barrels. You can not shoot 5.56 out of a .223 barrel. People do it, but it's not recommended due to the gas pressures out of 5.56 round being higher.

They're fun guns, lots of accessories, cheap ammo and either old or young, man or woman, adult or child can shoot the platform.
jasday

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I use Anderson stripped lowers, but don't care for Anderson's other rifle components.

Can't speak to Del-ton. ar15.com may have more info on that.

I like Palmetto State Armory for affordable AR's.

Beware of some language in this video, but has great info regarding magazines:
Green Beret Reviews Best Rifle Mags
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Beiruty »

There are many questions that you would to ask.
Budget?

Is weight a concern?
Accuracy expectation?
How far do you like to shoot?
Are you just shooting steel for fun?
Do you like optics or just Iron is enough?
Do you like to shoot run and gun, or just plinking steel and target shooting?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Del Ton is good to go.

Remember when buying somebody else's AR, they want the money they put into it. Prices on new ARs are down and it's a great time to buy. If he gives you a good deal, jump on it. But, you can get a perfectly good, brand new AR under $500 all day long now.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Delton is very good. Had mines for over a year and no problems at all. Shoots steel and brass just fine! I’d buy another for the right price but am gonna build my first AR pistol. Kit should be here tommorow and I got an Anderson lower at a local gun show here in Corpus Christi for 50$. Buy the Delton!

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Dont do it! It's a sickness I tell you. First its 233 then you need a 5.56. Then all of the sudden you need a SBR in 300 blackout. Before long you are buying 30 round pmags and loading them up with 10 rounds of 458 SOCOM. Just dont do it. You'll thank me. Your spouse will thank me and your wallet will thank me!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Syntyr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 pm Dont do it! It's a sickness I tell you. First its 233 then you need a 5.56. Then all of the sudden you need a SBR in 300 blackout. Before long you are buying 30 round pmags and loading them up with 10 rounds of 458 SOCOM. Just dont do it. You'll thank me. Your spouse will thank me and your wallet will thank me!
Beat me to it. I was going to offer the same warning. :lol:

First its upgrade the RDS. Then the foregrip, aft grip, rails, stock, trigger, BCG, ...

Then it's an entirely new carbine. Maybe the same caliber, maybe not. What type of case to get it to and from wherever?

:evil2: :evil2: :evil2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 pm
Syntyr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 pm Dont do it! It's a sickness I tell you. First its 233 then you need a 5.56. Then all of the sudden you need a SBR in 300 blackout. Before long you are buying 30 round pmags and loading them up with 10 rounds of 458 SOCOM. Just dont do it. You'll thank me. Your spouse will thank me and your wallet will thank me!

First its upgrade the RDS. Then the foregrip, aft grip, rails, stock, trigger, BCG, ...

Then it's an entirely new carbine. Maybe the same caliber, maybe not. What type of case to get it to and from wherever?

:iagree:
And that's BEFORE you get to optics... ACOG... MBUIS... 45 degree off sight... suppressor height... Eotech... Aimpoint... NXS... Then you have to get a can for it... and 100 round magazines... and and and
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Do, like I do, go get yourself an RRA-15 and be happy.
Here is my RRA ATH
Beiruty,

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Then you are setting there thinking, "I have all these parts just laying around, for $200 I can use them and build another rifle." Don't ask me how I know this. "rlol"
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Then you will get into 80% stuff
Beiruty,

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jason812 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Then you are setting there thinking, "I have all these parts just laying around, for $200 I can use them and build another rifle." Don't ask me how I know this. "rlol"
Yep!! Then you'll get an email from Primary Arms or AeroPrecisionUsa.com letting you know receivers are on sale. Of course you have to buy one or more of those AR seeds, because . . . well, they're so cheap right now.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:51 pm
jason812 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Yep!! Then you'll get an email from Primary Arms or AeroPrecisionUsa.com letting you know receivers are on sale. Of course you have to buy one or more of those AR seeds, because . . . well, they're so cheap right now.

Chas.
And then you’ll have to buy one of these: https://jtactical.com/products/47, one jig to rule them all! I have one, but haven’t yet bought an 80% receiver to try it on.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I appreciate all the feedback fellas. I fully intend on building a better AR down the line, like i said initially i just want something decent to muck around with, probably pass down to my kids eventually. He is selling me this rifle at $500, but it comes fully kitted out, has all magpul furniture, spikes tactical charging handle, primary arms red dot, iron sights, 1:9 twist barrel.. the guns I've seen around 500 are all bone stock with nothing but a gun. So I figure it's a good deal, even if it is the DTI sport version. I may even be able to talk price down a little since I'll pay cash. Again thanks for the replies!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”