Bear defense tactics: Pros & cons of guns vs. bear spray.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Bear defense tactics: Pros & cons of guns vs. bear spray

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:23 pm
rdcrags wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 am Last summer, I was within 6 feet of a black bear. Of course, I was sitting at my desk and it was outside the window looking at me. As far as firing a handgun at one: When I am out on the trails, if I encounter one (I have encountered 3 moose together on the trail, about 20 yards from me), I intend to fire shots in the air, as a way of making noise. I wouldn't dream of hitting one. It might make it made at me. Like saying on Saturday that Tiger Woods can be beaten, then having to compete with him the next day.

TX CHL 1997
CO CHP 2005
Cooper Rule#4. You mean't "into the ground, right?". I just might be in those woods too.....
Five “warning shots” from a revolver? Let me know how that works out for you if the bear pays no heed to the warning and gets irritated instead.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bear defense tactics: Pros & cons of guns vs. bear spray.

Post by Ruark »

Putting rounds into a bear's chest isn't going to do anything, at least not quickly enough to keep him off of you. Needs to be a head shot. When he stands up and opens his mouth wide and roars, put a brain shot right through the roof of his mouth.
-Ruark

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I do think that bear spray or red pepper spray is probably more effective than a firearm and non-lethal, so there's less to answer for afterward. However, I also agree with SRothstein that on a firearms related forum that is going to be an uphill battle.

For reliability, a 45-70 would also be a great option, but is far more difficult to carry around hiking or backpacking than a can or three of bear spray.
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-wea ... er-action/

Loves me some Henry's. :drool:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rdcrags
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Bear defense tactics: Pros & cons of guns vs. bear spray

Post by rdcrags »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:23 pm
rdcrags wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 am Last summer, I was within 6 feet of a black bear. Of course, I was sitting at my desk and it was outside the window looking at me. As far as firing a handgun at one: When I am out on the trails, if I encounter one (I have encountered 3 moose together on the trail, about 20 yards from me), I intend to fire shots in the air, as a way of making noise. I wouldn't dream of hitting one. It might make it made at me. Like saying on Saturday that Tiger Woods can be beaten, then having to compete with him the next day.

TX CHL 1997
CO CHP 2005
Cooper Rule#4. You mean't "into the ground, right?". I just might be in those woods too.....
Actually, no. Like the local sheriff said in a newspaper interview: A shot in the air is far less likely to hit a person than a shot down into rocky terrain, especially if you have others in the immediate vicinity. Part of SA?
TX CHL 1997

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

A few years ago I bought a S&W 500. No reason, just because I thought it was a cool gun.
Now, as I posted in a previous thread, I am going to Alaska hunting next year thanks to a very good friend of mine.
I bought a 300wm for my hunting rifle. My primary carry is a .45 but on this hunt one of my smaller .45’s will be my BUG and the 500 my primary carry. Reading this thread, I foresee bear spray in my self defense package as well. I had never really thought about bear spray until now
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

:biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

rotor

Post by rotor »

I guess the problem with bear spray is that if it doesn't work it is too late to use a firearm.

sugar land dave.

Post by sugar land dave. »

"rlol" :thewave :lol::
Keith B wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:55 pm Image

:biggrinjester:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My friends who hunt bear country( Black, Brown, Grizzly) always have either a S&W .460 or .500 on them. They also carry a 12 ga when not hunting or have a belted magnum with them when hunting. No one carries bear spray. Fortunately, they have never had a bear attack.

Return to “Off-Topic”