Mercy Killing of Animals

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 2

Mercy Killing of Animals

Post by imkopaka »

Another post I just read made a question pop into my head: are there circumstances where it is legal in Texas to kill an animal to relieve pain and suffering? If so, what are they?

For example - I found a pigeon in my back yard a couple weeks ago that had been badly wounded - mauled by a cat perhaps. He was losing feathers and acting very lethargic, even letting me pick him up with no resistance. When I examined him, he had a bloody gash on his back and a chunk of flesh missing under one wing. There was no way he was going to make it, medical treatment or not (putting aside that I would never take a pigeon to the vet). He was obviously suffering, so I took my ax and cut his head off to put him out of his misery. I have no qualms about the morality of this action and feel it was the right thing to do. The question is: was this legal? If so, does it become illegal with certain animals, such as pets or livestock? At what point does it cross the line from a legal sense from mercy killing to animal cruelty?
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

cirus

Re: Mercy Killing of Animals

Post by cirus »

The only way I will mercy kill is if there are no witnesses or among friends. Never in public no matter what. It will just have to suffer. To many snowflakes around looking to sue. I'll leave it the leo.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I don't know the law on this.

On occasion it's the right thing to do, legal or not.
At what point does it cross the line from a legal sense from mercy killing to animal cruelty?
It becomes cruelty [in my mind] when you don't dispatch a severely wounded and suffering animal. The real answer to your question (assuming you need to kill it) it's cruelty if you don't kill it instantly.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

I live near a dove flyway. During dove season I regular dispatch woulded dove when I find them ( before the dogs find them). I have been told you need to wait for a game warden to put down large game. If they have obviously had legs broken, I put them down. I have seen deer who have appeared to have been fatally injured get up and trot off after regaining their senses.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RicoTX »

I agree, I've put down animals that were obviously not going to make it. It sucks to do it, but it's the humane thing to do. I never questioned the legality of it since they were all wild animals. I guess if I thought someone would have an issue, I'd call a game warden and let them know what I was going to do to get their thoughts. I would guess public opinion would depend on where you live. In my neck of the woods, no issue.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Upon dispatching, one should also process and eat said animal.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 pm Upon dispatching, one should also process and eat said animal.
Not Legal. Supposed to let the game warden or sheriff deputy pick it up and take to a processor. The meat goes to various government run schools for orphans, deaf and blind, etc.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

03Lightningrocks

OldCurlyWolf wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 pm Upon dispatching, one should also process and eat said animal.
Not Legal. Supposed to let the game warden or sheriff deputy pick it up and take to a processor. The meat goes to various government run schools for orphans, deaf and blind, etc.
I was kidding. But the warden can give you permission to take the animal home if they choose to.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:10 pm
OldCurlyWolf wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm
I was kidding. But the warden can give you permission to take the animal home if they choose to.
Correct
:thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

03Lightningrocks

I saw a neighbor shooting Dove with a BB gun several years back. I called in and reported him. I don't know if anything came of it but I never saw him doing it again. It was Dove season but there is no legal hunting allowed in Plano Texas from the back yard. Not to mention use of an improper weapon.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

This is situational. I'm not eating a suspected rabid skunk. A game animal that is not diseased, go for it. I have eaten a fawn (with spots still) that was hit by a car and then put down. It was the best deer I have ever eaten.

It is recommended to call a game warden before you move a game animal. You probably won't get in trouble for dispatching it, but could for loading it up.

Btw, I'm not eating a healthy skunk either, :smilelol5:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

I was thinking someone mentioned eating skunk on the raw meat thread. :biggrinjester:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:20 pm I was thinking someone mentioned eating skunk on the raw meat thread. :biggrinjester:
Buttermilk bath maybe?

Have you ever eaten Durian (I have, but only once) ? It's the skunk of fruit.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks

Nasty stuff.

couzin

Post by couzin »

Durian is great - tastes like whipped cream with sugar. Knock a buzzard offa crap wagon though...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “Off-Topic”