Well... there goes Constitutional Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Well... there goes Constitutional Carry

Post by Maxwell »

Abraham wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:57 am Others bad behavior reminds when I was in Army Basic Training.

One guy screwed up so 199 of us were punished...dumb.
Story of our lives as responsible gun owners.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I always find it perplexing to read posts from those claiming to be pro gun who mention laws that are anti gun they like.

PBR

Post by PBR »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm
We passed pro-gun bills in 2017 and we killed all anti-gun bills. Those that passed included a reduction of the LTC fee from $140 to $40 and that's a huge improvement.

Chas.
From someone who lives on a fixed income being disabled that for sure was much appreciated.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

jason812

Post by jason812 »

DXer wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 pm We all have rights. Gun ownership is an institution as is the consumption of alcohol, but in my experience, gun powder and alcohol do not mix, and if an individual makes the CHOICE to consume simultaneously with carrying, then something needs to give. Remember, we have rights, but stupid behavior trumps everything.
And you punish those who make dumb mistakes accordingly. Not the rest of us because someone might do something stupid.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

DXer wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 pm We all have rights. Gun ownership is an institution as is the consumption of alcohol, but in my experience, gun powder and alcohol do not mix, and if an individual makes the CHOICE to consume simultaneously with carrying, then something needs to give. Remember, we have rights, but stupid behavior trumps everything.
And who is the one who decides which rights are by government permission only?

03Lightningrocks

Many people drink and carry with no issues. There are members on this very forum who will have a beer or drink with dinner while carrying.

TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexanVeteran »

DXer wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm
And who is the one who decides which rights are by government permission only?
Beats me, but are you suggesting it is ok to drink and carry? In my world you can get really loaded and take an Uber home, or you can be stone sober and carry with confidence. The risk you take when carrying while inebriated exceeds the value of carrying. I'm saying you can drink or you can carry, but you really shouldn't do both in the same time frame.
It is actually already illegal to carry while you're drinking (unless you're on your own property, obviously). The problem comes in, though, is when you get drunk, that is when you will start acting all stupid and showing it off. If I have intentions to drink, I probably won't carry my gun into the bar with me. But that's just me. Besides, those 51% signs prohibit it anyway, if you're going into a bar or something of the sort.

If you're going to a restaurant that happens to serve alcohol, you're probably not going to get drunk. One or two glasses of beer or wine is not gonna hurt anything.

extremist

Post by extremist »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm It is actually already illegal to carry while you're drinking
Respectfully, no it is not. You can be charged with "carrying while intoxicated", but that does not make it "illegal to carry while you're drinking".

You have to be caught, and charged, and proven to be intoxicated as defined by 49.01.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

OT, but when we visited the capitol last Summer, I ran across Speaker Strauss (no, not with my car) as he was skulking around near the cafeteria. I say "skulking" because as soon as I made eye contact, he averted his eyes and ducked into the cafeteria.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm It is actually already illegal to carry while you're drinking (unless you're on your own property, obviously).
Both parts of this are wrong. It is illegal to be intoxicated while carrying, but not simply drinking an alcoholic beverage. Location is irrelevant. Intoxicated is still intoxicated. The probability of being caught are much lower unless your next statement comes into play.
TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm The problem comes in, though, is when you get drunk, that is when you will start acting all stupid and showing it off.
Some people do. Most do not. For those that would, it is my own opinion that they probably do dumb things even when not intoxicated and may be generally irresponsible to begin with.
TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm If you're going to a restaurant that happens to serve alcohol, you're probably not going to get drunk. One or two glasses of beer or wine is not gonna hurt anything.
This sorta contradicts your earlier statement that it is illegal to drink while carrying. Or, more likely, you're stating your opinion that you think it shouldn't be, which it isn't.

TexasVeteran, it seems there has been a pattern where you have either been given incorrect information by your LTC instructor, or websites you've gleened information from were incorrect, or your own misinterpretation of statutes. So far, when this incorrect information was pointed out and you verified that you owned up to it. That's cool. We all make mistakes at some point about one thing or another. One of the greatest things about this forum is that the members are very intelligent and incorrect information can be corrected and make us all better stewards to educate others and make us safer.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:43 pm I always find it perplexing to read posts from those claiming to be pro gun who mention laws that are anti gun they like.
:iagree:

It's almost as perplexing as an organization claiming to be pro gun giving Straus an A grade.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”