Waterfowl game (not photos, but a question)

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 2

Waterfowl game (not photos, but a question)

Post by TexanVeteran »

Not photos, but hunting related, so I think this is the appropriate board. Mods, I apologize if it's not.

That being said, here's my question: As many of you know, I am just getting started in hunting. If I end up getting into the waterfowl game, is it possible to hunt that game without a truck, dog, or boat? As I have none of those things and don't see getting any in the near future.

I do have several things (clothing) I got to keep from my time in the service. I don't know if that will help or not, but it's there, lol.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Waterfowl game (not photos, but a question)

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

TexanVeteran wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:16 am Not photos, but hunting related, so I think this is the appropriate board. Mods, I apologize if it's not.

That being said, here's my question: As many of you know, I am just getting started in hunting. If I end up getting into the waterfowl game, is it possible to hunt that game without a truck, dog, or boat? As I have none of those things and don't see getting any in the near future.

I do have several things (clothing) I got to keep from my time in the service. I don't know if that will help or not, but it's there, lol.
It sounds like you may truly be new to hunting of any kind. It would help to have a friend or acquaintance that already has the resources to hunt. Personally, I always found water fowl hunting harder to access than other game but that may have to do with my circle of fellow hunters.

In either case, without friends that already have boat, truck or place to hunt, it is gonna be tougher for you. For instance. If you shoot a duck and it drops out in the water, how would you retrieve it with no boat or dog?

Another option is to find a paid guided hunt. They can be expensive but then you can show up with your shotgun, clothing, ammo, license and they have everything else needed.

Topic author
TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:29 am
TexanVeteran wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:16 am Not photos, but hunting related, so I think this is the appropriate board. Mods, I apologize if it's not.

It sounds like you may truly be new to hunting of any kind. It would help to have a friend or acquaintance that already has the resources to hunt. Personally, I always found water fowl hunting harder to access than other game but that may have to do with my circle of fellow hunters.

In either case, without friends that already have boat, truck or place to hunt, it is gonna be tougher for you. For instance. If you shoot a duck and it drops out in the water, how would you retrieve it with no boat or dog?

Another option is to find a paid guided hunt. They can be expensive but then you can show up with your shotgun, clothing, ammo, license and they have everything else needed.
I've never said anything else about being new to hunting. I've literally never been before. Thank you for your reply to my question. I didn't even know guided hunts were an option. Never even heard of that. That is something I will look into as well.

I may be able to go with my brother on occasion, but he will have to get permission from the property owners (private property) before I can, plus it's a few hours away from and all of our schedules would have to mesh.

Hopefully I'll get to this season. I've eaten duck before, now I want to cook duck that I kill.

03Lightningrocks

TexanVeteran wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:51 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:29 am

I've never said anything else about being new to hunting. I've literally never been before. Thank you for your reply to my question. I didn't even know guided hunts were an option. Never even heard of that. That is something I will look into as well.

I may be able to go with my brother on occasion, but he will have to get permission from the property owners (private property) before I can, plus it's a few hours away from and all of our schedules would have to mesh.

Hopefully I'll get to this season. I've eaten duck before, now I want to cook duck that I kill.
Well good luck to you. New hunters are always welcomed to the sport. The more the merrier. Maybe your brother can hook you up.

I have only eaten duck once but was not real fond of it. I suspect it may have been the way it was cooked but who knows. LOL... I know it did not "taste like chicken".

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Duck hunting is one of my passions. Been doin it for 20 years. Yes it is possible do duck hunt without a dog, truck, or boat. There are many places to walk in and hunt on several lakes. There are even some special made WMA’s just for walk in hunters. I have hunter many times without a dog. You don’t want to hunt in 6 foot deep water. 3 ft max 6 inches to 2ft seems to be the best depth. You want to look for flooded grass, smart weed, and button willow type areas. Make sure you have a good pair of neoprene insulated waders. Make sure you use steel shot as lead is not aloud on waterfowl. Duck hunting is harder than deer, or anything else I’ve hunted. I’ve been on one guided hunt in my life and it sucked. If you want phenomenal duck hunting just a couple times a year, go to Stuttgart Arkansas. The rice and duck capital of the world. That’s a true statement. Find a good outfitter up there and try it out. Oh also go by Mack’s Prarie wings while your there. It’s the largest waterfowl store in the world. Quite amazing. Been goin up there pre season for the last 15 years to buy whatever I need. Also, most people who eat duck breast them out and wrap each one with onion, jalapeños and bacon. There’s no other way in my opinion good luck and stay safe.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

I hunted east of Houston for several years without a dog or boat. Water generally 1-2 foot deep. Just be sure of your footing. We were walking and talking and not paying attention on 1 hunt and I stepped off into about a 5’ deep hole. Fortunately we were headed out because it made for a very cold and miserable walk
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I have hunted duck but it's more of an opportunistic approach, if you have access to a property with several ponds, the best strategy is to approach the pond with the wind to your back, ducks are fairly heavy birds and have to take off into the wind to gain altitude quickly, if you approach the pond from the windward side they'll have to fly towards you to get airborne! That is your opportunity to bag one! Also duck are on a federal point system, be sure you know how to identify the different ducks and how many points they are worth!
I'm not a huge fan of duck meat but I have found a way that they are good, filet the meat off the breast, pound it flat with a meat tenderizer and then soak it over night in Orange juice in the frig and then chicken fry it like a chicken fried steak! Very good that way!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Ducks are not on a points system anymore.

6 ducks per person per day. Some ducks you can only shoot two or three of. Only a certain amount of hens or drakes. Some you can shoot all hens or all drakes to make your 6. The points system hasn’t been around in a long time.

Get on Texas Paris and wildlife and you will see the limits on different species

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Check out Justin Hurst WMA. Their roads are sufficient to drive a car to walking distance of hunt areas. I’ve never hunted birds there but I’ve hubted other animals.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/wm ... ty=hunting

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I've been duck hunting twice. Both times were guided.

The first time was a wash out. It happens.

The following year, I went out again with the same guide group. I'll let this thread tell that story: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 78&t=87115

A guided hunt will set you back $100 or more, but that's a lot cheaper than buying and upkeep of the stuff you mention. A good hunting guide will have done the scouting work and should have a good idea where the game will be. Nobody's perfect, but the pros should be right more often.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flechero

Post by flechero »

TexanVeteran wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:16 am If I end up getting into the waterfowl game, is it possible to hunt that game without a truck, dog, or boat? As I have none of those things and don't see getting any in the near future.

Absolutely... but it makes finding a suitable place a little harder, and may require a bit more effort or walking.

03Lightningrocks

cmgee67 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:16 am Ducks are not on a points system anymore.

6 ducks per person per day. Some ducks you can only shoot two or three of. Only a certain amount of hens or drakes. Some you can shoot all hens or all drakes to make your 6. The points system hasn’t been around in a long time.

Get on Texas Paris and wildlife and you will see the limits on different species
That is how long it has been since I duck hunted. It was points the last season I hunted. It was darned confusing at times. Glad it was changed.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

cmgee67 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:16 am Ducks are not on a points system anymore.

As you can tell I don't really duck hunt as others do, so I was unaware the point system had been done away with! The last formal waterfowl hunt I went on was a goose hunt in Hereford Tx, I got two geese and a duck, my dad got two ducks and a goose, if memory serves, I believe we were allowed 2 geese and three ducks, but I might be wrong on that! The single biggest memory was when shooting hour arrived and the first shot fired, the geese coming up off the water blotted out the sun! There were thousands of them!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

mrvmax wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:24 am Check out Justin Hurst WMA. Their roads are sufficient to drive a car to walking distance of hunt areas. I’ve never hunted birds there but I’ve hubted other animals.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/wm ... ty=hunting
BTW, you can call Justin Hurst and speak to the wildlife biologist. Tell him you’re new and want some info, I think he’ll be willing to help. The wildlife techs and biologist are good guys and I think they’d be willing to give you info.

Return to “Hunting Photos”