Bipolar misdiagnosis

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Trucker96
Posts in topic: 2

Bipolar misdiagnosis

Post by Trucker96 »

When I was younger I got into a lot of trouble at school, so my mother saw a doctor and he diagnosed me with bipolar without ever talking to me. I saw docs for 9-10 years before deciding to quit taking medication. I'm actually doing better now and I think the medications really screwed with me all those years and I know I had to of been misdiagnosed. I'm trying to get my Texas LTC and was wondering what I should do. I'm thinking about seeing one of my old doctors and a new one for a new diagnosis. Do you think that would be enough? Also worth mentioning Texas did approve me for a commissioned security license (armed security). Anyways sorry if I rambled I'm not good at explaining myself.

philip964

Re: Bipolar misdiagnosis

Post by philip964 »

Do you find that you are depressed a lot? Missing work? Lack of energy? You spend a lot of time sleeping? But then, your fine. Really enjoying life, making lots of plans, you start a lot of projects, you are the life of the party, happy with yourself and your life? But then things don't work out and your depressed again?

That would be bipolar. If you find that your still having these issues. I would suggest not owning a gun.

However, self diagnosis is very difficult.

Before buying a gun, I would suggest a complete evaluation from a Psychologist, just to be sure you are not having issues that would endanger yourself or your loved ones.

That way with a clean bill of health, you can safely own a gun.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

The up and down cycle for bipolar folks can be years in between cycles.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Trucker96 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:37 am When I was younger I got into a lot of trouble at school, so my mother saw a doctor and he diagnosed me with bipolar without ever talking to me. I saw docs for 9-10 years before deciding to quit taking medication. I'm actually doing better now and I think the medications really screwed with me all those years and I know I had to of been misdiagnosed. I'm trying to get my Texas LTC and was wondering what I should do. I'm thinking about seeing one of my old doctors and a new one for a new diagnosis. Do you think that would be enough? Also worth mentioning Texas did approve me for a commissioned security license (armed security). Anyways sorry if I rambled I'm not good at explaining myself.
I think you are on the right track with seeing a new doctor for a fresh review of your situation. I don't think anyone here can give you a serious answer. Bipolar is a serious condition. Even if you were misdiagnosed (sounds possible), being on meds for nearly a decade can bring its own issues and getting off those meds is not something to be done without a doctors supervision.

Step 1... see a doctor. Take care of yourself.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rotor

Post by rotor »

For what its worth a psychologist is not a physician. I would think that you need a psychiatrist (a physician) to correct a diagnosis. A psychologist might have a phd and be called "doctor" but that does not make him a physician and the state may require something from a physician (psychiatrist).

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:30 pm For what its worth a psychologist is not a physician. I would think that you need a psychiatrist (a physician) to correct a diagnosis. A psychologist might have a phd and be called "doctor" but that does not make him a physician and the state may require something from a physician (psychiatrist).
:iagree: Rotor is correct. DPS requires a physician who is a psychiatrist.
GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY
(f) Notwithstanding Subsection (d), a person who has previously been diagnosed
as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subsection (d)
or listed in Subsection (e) is not because of that disorder or condition incapable
of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a
handgun if the person provides the department with a certificate from a licensed
physician whose primary practice is in the field of psychiatry stating that the
psychiatric disorder or condition is in remission and is not reasonably likely to
develop at a future time.
Last edited by WildBill on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill »

rotor wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:30 pm For what its worth a psychologist is not a physician. I would think that you need a psychiatrist (a physician) to correct a diagnosis. A psychologist might have a phd and be called "doctor" but that does not make him a physician and the state may require something from a physician (psychiatrist).
You need a psychiatrist (a physician) to prescribe medication so I'm pretty sure he wasn't just diagnosed by a psychologist and given drugs for 9-10 years before he decided to go off his meds.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I would BEG you to please make sure you are cleared (or not cleared) by a qualified psychiatrist. I became self-employed years ago because my long time friend and employer committed suicide at age 45, after having fought the good fight against bipolar disorder since he was in high school. He left a wife, 2 kids, several employees, and a LOT of friends behind, because his illness prevented him from actually knowing what was true. Like you, he stopped taking his meds because he was convinced that he was OK without them.

PLEASE do not self-diagnose as "I'm OK". Make sure you've had a qualified psychiatrist tell you whether or not you are OK. If you are in a long-term manic phase, you'll feel great, but you won't actually BE great, and you won't have any way to tell what the truth is.

And if the psychiatrist gives you a clean bill of health, then by all means, join the fraternity of people who own/carry firearms. But unless a PSYCHIATRIST tells you that you were mis-diagnosed at the beginning, your perception is not reliable. The original diagnosis needs a "second opinion" from another qualified psychiatrist. I know that sounds harsh, but I am not trying to be unkind. I am genuinely concerned for your safety, and I sincerely hope that you really ARE OK, and that you are able to have a full and balanced life - including the keeping and bearing of arms.

I wish you the best of luck going forward as you wade through this issue and try to get it all figured out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm I would BEG you to please make sure you are cleared (or not cleared) by a qualified psychiatrist. I became self-employed years ago because my long time friend and employer committed suicide at age 45, after having fought the good fight against bipolar disorder since he was in high school. He left a wife, 2 kids, several employees, and a LOT of friends behind, because his illness prevented him from actually knowing what was true. Like you, he stopped taking his meds because he was convinced that he was OK without them.

PLEASE do not self-diagnose as "I'm OK". Make sure you've had a qualified psychiatrist tell you whether or not you are OK. If you are in a long-term manic phase, you'll feel great, but you won't actually BE great, and you won't have any way to tell what the truth is.

And if the psychiatrist gives you a clean bill of health, then by all means, join the fraternity of people who own/carry firearms. But unless a PSYCHIATRIST tells you that you were mis-diagnosed at the beginning, your perception is not reliable. The original diagnosis needs a "second opinion" from another qualified psychiatrist. I know that sounds harsh, but I am not trying to be unkind. I am genuinely concerned for your safety, and I sincerely hope that you really ARE OK, and that you are able to have a full and balanced life - including the keeping and bearing of arms.

I wish you the best of luck going forward as you wade through this issue and try to get it all figured out.
Well stated. :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rotor

Post by rotor »

buzzkill wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:53 pm
You need a psychiatrist (a physician) to prescribe medication so I'm pretty sure he wasn't just diagnosed by a psychologist and given drugs for 9-10 years before he decided to go off his meds.
I was responding to post #2 and trying to keep the poster from wasting money seeing the wrong type of professional.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

If you have your Level 3, there is a good chance you'll pass your background for your LTC
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

philip964

Post by philip964 »

rotor wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm
I was responding to post #2 and trying to keep the poster from wasting money seeing the wrong type of professional.
Sorry I misspoke a Psychiatrist, not a psychologist. Thanks for catching my mistake.

Topic author
Trucker96

Post by Trucker96 »

I always get them mixed up. The doctors I am going to see are state certified psychiatrists.
rotor wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm I would BEG you to please make sure you are cleared (or not cleared) by a qualified psychiatrist. I became self-employed years ago because my long time friend and employer committed suicide at age 45, after having fought the good fight against bipolar disorder since he was in high school. He left a wife, 2 kids, several employees, and a LOT of friends behind, because his illness prevented him from actually knowing what was true. Like you, he stopped taking his meds because he was convinced that he was OK without them.

I am going to talk to doctors, I know people shouldn't self diagnose however I can't help but feel the first doc just wanted to dope me up to keep me as a patient. Since I have been off meds I have been more stable then ever before.

Thanks for all the advice I'll update this whenever I see the doctors and then with whatever the DPS says.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Trucker96 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 pm

I am going to talk to doctors, I know people shouldn't self diagnose however I can't help but feel the first doc just wanted to dope me up to keep me as a patient. Since I have been off meds I have been more stable then ever before.

Thanks for all the advice I'll update this whenever I see the doctors and then with whatever the DPS says.
Great, and I really do hope that you’ll be good to go. Good luck!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Just adding this: my best buddy is bi-polar...I'm 47 now, best friends since high school...oh man...the stories when he was UP!!! Some crazy stories when he was down too. He's more or less been OK, he overdosed on Lithium once, that was horrible...so, he's been in and out of "care" for a bit....he's out now and living mostly normal but I swear he's over-medicated, my buddy is almost a zombie compared to his "normal" (what I call normal) self...I've pleaded with him to get another opinion from his doc (or another) about his level of dosage...but he says "I'm fine, I'm taking what I'm supposed to"....granted, his last "down" was horrible and violent...so I can see where the doc went a little "over" with his medication...either way, it's sad stuff. :tiphat:

Return to “New to CHL?”