Brookline Massachusetts Wants to Register Security Camera Owners

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Brookline Massachusetts Wants to Register Security Camera Owners

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The Brookline Police Department is asking residents who have security cameras pointed outside toward their street to come register with them if they would be willing to share footage with the department to help police investigate crimes in their neighborhood.
https://securitytoday.com/articles/2018 ... otage.aspx

Why not just ask as they canvas the neighborhood post-event? :totap:
Anytime the gov't wants to make another list of {insert-item-here} owners, my paranoia jumps up another defcon level. :shock:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Flightmare

Re: Brookline Massachusetts Wants to Register Security Camera Owners

Post by Flightmare »

Police in Plano, TX have asked the same thing. It's totally optional. I have no problem with them ASKING, as long as it is optional. I have a big issue with things being mandatory.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:24 pm Police in Plano, TX have asked the same thing. It's totally optional. I have no problem with them ASKING, as long as it is optional. I have a big issue with things being mandatory.
I agree with you. And even if they knew I had security cameras, they’d have to be crazy if they think I’ve give them my username and password to the my router and video feed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

GOT WARRANT?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Ha, no.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

They have the optional registration here in Corpus Christi, too. I thought, “great idea!”, and then read all the fine print saying I would then be “required” to give access when requested. Nay, I say! I’ve given video to investigating officers twice, as well as an arson investigator because it was the right thing to do. But “requiring” it? That’s another thing.
Let me just add: you have no idea what goes on in your neighborhood until you get cameras installed. I live in a nice neighborhood, some neighbors I’ve had 30-40 years! But that first year after installation, I recorded a home burglary, a vehicle arson, and some dude running over his girlfriend after a roadside spat. My neighbors enjoy partial coverage from my perimeter cams.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Depends on the crime too, have heard of people going to the PD with footage of porch pirates and they say they don’t have time for it.
People across the street sent the sheriff over because their vehicles were broken into and they knew we had cameras. These are the same neighbors that called the Sheriff complaining we were invading their privacy. They couldn’t “smoke they blunts” in the driveway.
I informed the officer our cameras can’t see their vehicles.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

no good can come from registration....
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “Off-Topic”