Online Backup Service ?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Online Backup Service ?

Post by G.A. Heath »

I tend to make two backups for data. One is stored at home and the second I keep somewhere I have easy access to and is secure. I keep an OS and app install usb disk for each system I use.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

rotor

Post by rotor »

Norton Ghost failed me when I needed it. For local backups I have found Easeus the most reliable and it always works. They have a free version and always have sales. I have used Acronis in the past but the dvd to boot does not make a readable screen on my monitors and if you can't see it you can't restore it. Maybe they have fixed things. I make a clone of my c drive once a month using Easeus and it has always been perfect. And I have needed it too. In addition I do some of my files on Carbonite. Not the entire computer but just essential files. Worth the money. I use 3 methods of backup, Carbonite for essential data files (as the backup is almost immedite), Easeus to clone a c drive once a month and a large usb drive to make system backups also using Easeus on a regular basis. Download the free version of Easeus as it does almost everything and see for yourself. I am not affiliated with any of the companies. Beware Norton Ghost, it fails when you need it.

couzin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by couzin »

AEA wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:48 pm My opinion is that if you want to give your personal data to someone you don't know, you may as well give it to me!

Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind using any of those services.
I guess I am just outta touch as well. I use an external Seagate and have other backups to mini sds that live not in my house.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

strogg

Post by strogg »

There are three ways to backup data. Choose one, two or all three. Each have their upsides and downsides.

1. Local backup. It's best if it's a cold backup, where the backup disk is unplugged after backup. This way, if there's a power surge that knocks out your computer, it won't knock out your backup as well. I am lazy and never unplug my backup. I do a weekly simple disk image backup for Windows and a file backup of my data drives whenever I get a chance (OK, the latter is cold storage). I use Easeus Todo Backup Free for the image backup because it gives me a bit more control over backups than the built in Windows backup application, although for >90% of people, the Windows one will do just fine. Acronis is the best backup software I've used, but the cost doesn't justify the benefits for me. YMMV, of course. For the data drive backup, I use something called FreeFileSync. I have over a million files and 9TB of data. Doing image backups on that isn't terribly efficient, to say the least. Local backups is the easiest solution but also the least reliable, especially if the backup device is always hot.

2. Off-site backup. I haven't done this in ages, but I'm not too concerned since most of my data is either pretty static or easily recoverable by other means. What I do is fill up a hard drive of my data, then send it to someone outside the area for storage (for me out of state). If an EF5 hits and obliterates my humble abode, I can be rest assured all my photos, videos, etc are all safe somewhere... Assuming I'm still alive... Rotating backups can be a pain, though.

3. Cloud backup. I don't use it, although most people I know use Mozy. It's super simple to do recoveries with it. Carbonite annoyed me the one time I had to do a recovery for someone. I've heard good things about Backblaze, but I've never used their services before. Cloud backup is not feasible for me due to the size of my data. That and I don't like the idea of my most sensitive documents and info out on the cloud. But for most people, it's the simplest thing and works just fine. Just know the risks.

couzin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by couzin »

lonestar144 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 pm How in the world did yall manage to resurrect a 9 yr old thread?
Blame bblhd672...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I use BackBlaze and it saved my bacon a few times. Recommend. can download backup files and select the ones you want or get the entire backup on a drive that you can buy or return.

Previously used Carbonite, was more difficult and expensive.

Using a local backup on external drive ONLY may result in lost data due to hard drive crash if not SSD, and I have heard that SSD has a useful life as well.
NRA Life Member

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 92f-fan »

A couple new notes
local usb backups are cheap but have at least 2 BIG issues. ONe they are fragile, the drives are cheap because they are cheap, Two they are forgotten. People do ONE backup, maybe it finishes maybe it doesnt. They always think they have a recent backup just to find that its 18 months old or its dead.

The OP wanted to move stuff off his PC. Thats NOT backup thats archive. None of the cloud products work that way. If you remove it from your PC it gets eventually removed from the cloud.

Finally backup means at least 2 copies. Working copy and backup, and to many people it means 3 copies including off site
So the best belt and suspenders method is USB drive that is using GOOD software for local backup AND cloud backup for offsite.
And finally check them at least once a month

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I am old and pretty set in my ways. I don't care for offsite storage. Just me I guess.

I have (2) 8TB external hard drives that I back up to. One is done weekly and the other is daily. I usually toss them in my briefcase at the end of the day so I can take them with me. That way, if there is a fire or some other disaster, my data is not lost.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Dropbox and a portable harddrive.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”