Disappointing start to 2019 session

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Disappointing start to 2019 session

Post by LDB415 »

EmpowerTexans.com sends out a daily memo with various interesting bits. Two things in today's interested me. The first seems obvious. Why can you only have your concern registered in Austin and not in your home district? The second I haven't fully thought about but it seems potentially significant.

• The Republican Party of Texas asked the GOP caucus to do two specific things: 1) allow citizens to register support or opposition to legislation from lawmakers’ district offices, and 2) allow legislation with 75 authors to proceed immediately to the floor for debate. No Republican lawmaker brought the second proposal.

• State Rep. Jonathan Stickland (R-Bedford) did bring forward the GOP-requested rule that would allow citizens around the state to register their opinion at district offices. He was vocally opposed by State Rep. Drew Spring (R-Munster). The measure was rejected 15-127. It seems Republicans are more interested in the status quo, meaning liberal Austinites have more access to the legislative process than the citizens back home.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Disappointing start to 2019 session

Post by bblhd672 »

So basically our "representatives" would prefer we not have an easily accessible method in our districts to let them know our concerns and priorities?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Both suggestions were terrible!! "Registering" for, against or on a bill from anywhere around the State would result in one-sided stacking of the deck by people who are recruited by liberal groups. Many of those people would be paid to do so, just as Soros pays "protesters." Also, people who work for a living would have a difficult time getting to the offices of Senators and Representatives that are open only during normal working hours Monday through Friday. Also, there's nothing magic about registering for, against or on a bill. You can do more by calling/emailing your Senator/Representative and/or committee members.

Bypassing a committee is also a very bad idea. We kill, clean-up and improve countless bills in committee. There's also a committee strategy that I won't go into. I do think there should be a way to force a committee hearing and vote on a bill and, if necessary, force a bill out of committee even if the committee rejects it. Those actions should require a substantial vote of the body, because the purpose of committees is to prevent wasting time of bills that have no chance of passage.

Rep. Springer was correct.

Chas.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 pm Both suggestions were terrible!! "Registering" for, against or on a bill from anywhere around the State would result in one-sided stacking of the deck by people who are recruited by liberal groups. Many of those people would be paid to do so, just as Soros pays "protesters." Also, people who work for a living would have a difficult time getting to the offices of Senators and Representatives that are open only during normal working hours Monday through Friday. Also, there's nothing magic about registering for, against or on a bill. You can do more by calling/emailing your Senator/Representative and/or committee members.

Bypassing a committee is also a very bad idea. We kill, clean-up and improve countless bills in committee. There's also a committee strategy that I won't go into. I do think there should be a way to force a committee hearing and vote on a bill and, if necessary, force a bill out of committee even if the committee rejects it. Those actions should require a substantial vote of the body, because the purpose of committees is to prevent wasting time of bills that have no chance of passage.

Rep. Springer was correct.

Chas.

:iagree:

I have had very positive responses, to my emails from my reps, and their staff. I wasn't able to get to their offices, but once, this past year, but in the past, I have met with them and brought proposals to them. Having on record, registration, only at the Capitol, makes more sense. It doesn't look like my work schedule will allow me to make it down there, but I continue to send email to my reps. I encourage those who are unfortunate enough to be represented, by those who don't share your political beliefs, to be even more proactive in contacting them. You are still their constituents, and with enough feedback from their districts, you might get them to vote for things they would have voted agaist., Or vice versa. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

sottish cheese

Post by sottish cheese »

LDB415 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 am 2) allow legislation with 75 authors to proceed immediately to the floor for debate. No Republican lawmaker brought the second proposal.
Maybe this is a good sign the new Speaker is not Straus 2.0

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

I guess I misunderstood or misinterpreted. It sounded to me like if I call or go by my representatives district office and say I'm for xxxx or I'm against yyyy I would be ignored and it would have no impact but if I went to Austin to the office there and said the exact same thing they'd make note of it. I want to be heard and acknowledged no matter where I make contact. If that's what this is then I believe I'm for it. If it's something else then I'll have to learn more.

As to the second one, that may not be the best way to handle it but it seems there should be a mechanism to mandate fair hearings for anything with 75 or more sponsors whether that's in committee or calendars or on the floor or whatever. If this isn't the way to do it then someone needs to come up with the right way.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”