Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

TX: League City gun range blamed for bullet holes in new homes

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/resi ... ting-homes

I prefer out door ranges.

I wonder how long I’ll be able to find one nearby as growth continues in suburbia?

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 8

Re: TX: League City gun range blamed for bullet holes in new homes

Post by Odinvalknir »

If this is the range I think it is, it's pretty much the only outdoor range in that area. I shoot at it all the time, I love that range. They have been fighting this battle for yearsoh, and it's almost impossible to shoot accurately at their pistol range because of the mitigation steps they have taken to prevent this kind of thing. Looking at the range both pistol and rifle sections of it I find it really hard to believe that any round has found its way into the nearby neighborhood. They have massive thick wooden barriers that will not allow around to go high enough to land at the neighborhood, not to mention the huge berms they have at the back of the range to catch the rounds. Obviously somehow it is still happening but just for my personal experience I cannot imagine.

Edit: they did mention the name of the range in that article, it is Clear Creek. I shoot there all of the time everytime I go to the range that's where I go. on the pistol range they have I rather large thick roof type covering that comes down and you cannot see daylight between it and the frame where you mount your targets out in the pistol area. And the rifle area has 10 or 12 ft tall thick wooden walls that you have to shoot under oh, and the targets are right in front of very large even taller Earthen berms. I honestly cannot see how a bullet could end up traveling a half a mile and hitting a home from that range.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

A thorough investigation may reveal that the bullets did not come from the gun range.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LTUME1978 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am A thorough investigation may reveal that the bullets did not come from the gun range.
This. ^^
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

LTUME1978 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am A thorough investigation may reveal that the bullets did not come from the gun range.
Maybe exuberant neighbors who like to celebrate New Years and 4th of July with firearms. I once had apartments near my house and the balconies overlooked a 6 acre open field behind my home. New Years was the most evident occasion that gun fire was happening. I could tell who had revolvers or semi autos some of which were high capacity. The most disconcerting was when I head what I know was an Uzi. :shock:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

There are folks who hate shooting ranges so much, they'd probably pop a couple of holes in their own house to be able to blame the range.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:21 pm There are folks who hate shooting ranges so much, they'd probably pop a couple of holes in their own house to be able to blame the range.
Wouldn't be the first time this had occured!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

That hole in the window looks pretty big - Doesn't look right to me. :headscratch
I would bet that the range will be forced to close. I guess we shall see.
NRA Endowment Member

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

WildBill wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:15 pm That hole in the window looks pretty big - Doesn't look right to me. :headscratch
I don't think that will happen honestly, this range has been there for a long long time. I have been shooting at this range for a long long time and it's not necessarily the first time this has happened. They have gone way above and beyond to stop this from happening. If you saw the way the range was set up you would understand why I say it is near impossible for this to have occurred because of stray bullets from the range. There is just no conceivable way a bullet could have left the range gotten past the walls and the berms that have been set up in this place and made it half a mile to these people's homes. It's just not possible in my opinion. the pistol range, you can't even see the sky from the shooting stall because of wood that has been placed to prevent this and then there is a 15 or 20 foot berm behind the rack where the targets are and then on the rifle range there is a 10-foot high wall right in front of the shooter stall and another 20 foot high berm right behind each Target. There is just no way
Last edited by Odinvalknir on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Odinvalknir wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:24 pm
WildBill wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:15 pm That hole in the window looks pretty big - Doesn't look right to me. :headscratch
I don't think that will happen honestly, this range has been there for a long long time. I have been shooting at this range for a long long time and it's not necessarily the first time this has happened. They have gone way above and beyond to stop this from happening. If you saw the way the range was set up you would understand why I say it is near impossible for this to have occurred because of stray bullets from the range. There is just no conceivable way a bullet could have left the range gotten past the walls and the berms that have been set up in this place and made it half a mile to these people's homes. It's just not possible in my opinion. the pistol range oh, you can't even see the sky from the shooting stall because of wood that has been placed to prevent this and then there is a 10 or 12 foot berm behind the rack where the targets are and then on the rifle range there is a 10-foot high wall right in front of the shooter stall and another 20 foot high berm right behind each Target. There is just no way
You may be correct. I have never visited that range.
I find it very strange that people are finding bullets at their houses. That is very very strange to me.
NRA Endowment Member

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I wish I had pictures of the range to post here for people who have never seen it. The property they sit on is massive, and the mitigation system they have for stopping bullets is overkill to say the least. I just don't buy it.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Here's an overhead view. Obviously doesn't show the range berms and walls etc.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

And here are the actual ranges

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Odinvalknir wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 pm And here are the actual ranges

The shadows infront of the stalls are the walls and coverings that were put up last year because this has been an issue before. They took responsibilty and added the extra barriers. Where the trees are to the right is a 15ft high give or take earthen berm to stop rounds leaving the range. The wooden walls and coverings are made from thick round logs. You are forced to shoot UNDER the wood in order to hit the targets, so every rifle shooter is made to sit and shoot. The pistol range you can stand, but there is another wooden covering that slops down from the top of the stall and blocks everything from view except the target. Sorry to flood this post with comments, but this is my favorite range, ran and owned by people who care. I also took my CHL class here.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:12 pm
Maybe exuberant neighbors who like to celebrate New Years and 4th of July with firearms. I once had apartments near my house and the balconies overlooked a 6 acre open field behind my home. New Years was the most evident occasion that gun fire was happening. I could tell who had revolvers or semi autos some of which were high capacity. The most disconcerting was when I head what I know was an Uzi. :shock:
This NYE I heard a number of gunshots as well as fireworks. :mad5
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Shooting Ranges”