CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
On_Code
Posts in topic: 8

Relocating From CA--->Texas Soon

Post by On_Code »

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and will be relocating to Texas from California in less than 6 months. I currently have a valid Utah and Arizona out-of-state CCW and was interested in applying for Texas LTC. Is it possible for me to fly out there and take the class, qualify at the range, fingerprint and submit my documents there and get a non-resident LTC before I move? I was hoping I could do that since I wont immediately have a Texas ID for a little while after I arrive. Also, both of my states on my permits have reciprocity with Texas so I should be able to carry when I get there, right? Any advice for someone familiar with my situation would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get out of CA and never look back.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Relocating From CA--->Texas Soon

Post by jmorris »

Currently it appears to take only a few weeks for your LTC paperwork to be processed, plus both your current licenses are recognized here, so I don't think I'd spend the money to fly out and take the class.

Texas doesn't mark licenses as non-resident, it's just a LTC with an out of state address, but you would have to do an address change once you got your permanent address. If it wouldn't be long I think you should just wait until you have that permanent address.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

You can take the TX class and get your non-resident license any time before you move. Once you have your TX DL, just change your address on your LTC and (I believe) DPS will send you a resident license with the new TX address.

Texas recognizes non-resident permits from all states, so, you can carry here with your UT or AZ non-resident permit. One caveat... If UT or AZ have some requirement for reporting new addresses that makes their license invalid until the address is updated, that may be a problem for Texas carry. I'm not familiar with UT or AZ address change processes. It's likely this is a non-problem, since your UT and AZ licenses are non-resident anyway and the address change should just be administrative, but, I recommend checking.

FYI... Here's the relevant TX information, all in one place. Link will open PDF file. LINK

This is my OPINION, not legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

ETA: If you read the linked PDF, you'll probably come across some language that makes it sound like there's a 6-month waiting period to apply for a resident license. That waiting period does not apply to people relocating to TX.

The following was added in 2013, I believe.
GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE.
(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure established under this subsection:
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

jmorris wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 am Currently it appears to take only a few weeks for your LTC paperwork to be processed, plus both your current licenses are recognized here, so I don't think I'd spend the money to fly out and take the class.

Texas doesn't mark licenses as non-resident, it's just a LTC with an out of state address, but you would have to do an address change once you got your permanent address. If it wouldn't be long I think you should just wait until you have that permanent address.
:iagree:

And YES you can carry on your AZ/UT licenses until you get your Texas LTC.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ELB

Post by ELB »

I guess you got all possible answers above, so I'll just say "Welcome!"
USAF 1982-2005

jason812

Post by jason812 »

There is a rule when you get here that you have to go to Austin and give a hippy a ride to the otherside of the border. Doesn't matter which border, just as long as they are not left in Texas.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

tyree

Post by tyree »

As previously stated, you should be good to go as is.
However, since you already budgeted for a trip and a class may I suggest that you consider spending some of that money on some good training when you get here?

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

jason812 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 pm There is a rule when you get here that you have to go to Austin and give a hippy a ride to the otherside of the border. Doesn't matter which border, just as long as they are not left in Texas.
"rlol"
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I was hoping this was an exchange program: as soon as you arrive we get to ship Acevedo back. :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

strogg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strogg »

I would personally just start your LTC process once you get a Texas ID. Even the paper one will suffice. It's a lot less work, and as others have mentioned, you can carry with an out of state permit anyway.

Hopefully, you'll be able to move here without any problems. As a fellow California POW Camp escapee, I welcome you to Texas. :txflag: Please register to vote when you arrive, and be sure to tell all of your liberal friends and coworkers how terrible it is here and how much you want to move back to California. The goal is to make those people invade a different state instead. Haha

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

On_Code wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:25 am Hello All,

I am new to this forum and will be relocating to Texas from California in less than 6 months. I currently have a valid Utah and Arizona out-of-state CCW and was interested in applying for Texas LTC. Is it possible for me to fly out there and take the class, qualify at the range, fingerprint and submit my documents there and get a non-resident LTC before I move? I was hoping I could do that since I wont immediately have a Texas ID for a little while after I arrive. Also, both of my states on my permits have reciprocity with Texas so I should be able to carry when I get there, right? Any advice for someone familiar with my situation would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get out of CA and never look back.
Where are you moving from? I left Pasadena in 2006 and never looked back. You’ll LOVE Texas.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I'm surprised I didn't see any reference to the online LTC classes.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
On_Code
Posts in topic: 8

Post by On_Code »

Thanks all for your prompt and clear responses. I’ll probably just use my Utah and AZ CCW until I get my Texas LTC. I can’t wait to get there. Coming from the East Bay Area in Northern California

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Don't forget to leave the local political biases behind. :biggrinjester:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

strogg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strogg »

On_Code wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm Thanks all for your prompt and clear responses. I’ll probably just use my Utah and AZ CCW until I get my Texas LTC. I can’t wait to get there. Coming from the East Bay Area in Northern California
Um... Berkeley??? I'm not sure you'd survive 6 months if you live there. I was imprisoned in the South bay myself. It's not exactly a pleasant place to live for people like me, but at least I survived.

What area are you planning on moving to, if you don't mind me asking? If the DFW area, you'll need to drop by for our monthly breakfasts once you get settled.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”