Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

Post by Flightmare »

Until the session is over, we have nothing to articulate other than we don't like the chairman positions of these committees. I'm still waiting to see what legislation comes from this session before I voice my opinion to my elected officials. If we see increased 2nd amendment liberty, I will be happy. If we see a reduction in 2nd amendment liberty, I will express my disapproval to my state rep and encourage change next session. But to say that the choices are a betrayal might perhaps be premature. Like you, I hope that this has been an overreaction on our part and we see further restoration of our rights when the Texas House adjourns sine die. Only time will tell. In the mean time, I would still encourage everyone to contact their state reps/senators and encourage them to sign on to one of the bills that Charles has shown support for, as well as encourage them to oppose the bad bills.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

BCGlocker wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:03 am
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 pm Below is an article posted on TexasFirearmsCoalition.com. I'll be releasing a podcast on this today or tomorrow.
Charles, did you release the podcast already? I must miss it.
No, I've been swamped! I won't get to it this week, but maybe next week.

Chas.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

Dear Mr. Speaker,

I look forward to the gun rights restoration bills you will push through the House with enough time to pass the Senate and be signed by the Governor.

In particular, I look forward to your repeal of 46.035, which prevents licensed Texans from carrying a concealed handgun where every Tom, Dick, and Harry can carry a shotgun.

I also look forward to you exempting Texans with a LTC from 46.03, the same as off duty NYPD and LAPD employees who are vacationing in our home state of Texas.

As an "A" rated champion of gun rights, I'm sure you agree these are a priority and should be a "slam dunk" in a state like Texas, with a Republican majority in both chambers of the legislature.

Failing that, please contact me ASAP following the legislative session to deliver my new AR-15.

Very Respectfully,
Ninja Bread
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

If it were me, I would remove the last sentence, it could be twisted into some sort of threat.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LDB415 »

Or just add "you so generously promised in your published remarks". That eliminates any way to consider it a threat of any nature although as written it would be difficult for even many democrats to consider it a threat.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Its a shame that Bonnen can't work under LBJ's rule. "When we (democrats) have the votes, they (republicans) do what we say. When they (republicans) have the votes, we (democrats) do what they (republicans) say". Bonnen has given the farm away. Wonder what drove his decisions.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Papa_Tiger »

It was a tough slog going through yesterday's submitted bills knowing that it is likely that all the bills submitted by Representative Anchia will get a hearing in the Homeland Security committee. There is likely going to be A LOT of political capital spent keeping these bills from leaving the committee.

The fact that Speaker Bonnen would put a fox like Representative Nevarez in charge of a key committee hen house like Homeland Security is galling.

Gun rights MAY not be infringed this session, Mr. Speaker, but they are certainly going to have a hard time advancing because of your choices. A LOT of time is going to be spent defeating terrible legislation that should rather be spent promoting individual freedom and reducing government infringement.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

I think one of the things that irks people the most is Bonnen picked this particular dem legislator to chair the committee. Unfortunately, idiotic actions from a few reinforced Navarez's resolve regarding anti-gun and anti-carry legislation. Here is a reminder of what happened last session.

www.kxan.com/news/panic-buttons-coming- ... 1049503412

Now we will suffer the consequences of the actions of a few. :banghead:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mreed911

Post by mreed911 »

What would it take for someone like Strickland to file for impeachment of Bonnen? Texas law doesn't require a criminal act to impeach a legislator - just that it come from the House.

Alf

Post by Alf »

mreed911 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:06 pm What would it take for someone like Strickland to file for impeachment of Bonnen? Texas law doesn't require a criminal act to impeach a legislator - just that it come from the House.
They worked with him before. They knew him. They elected him unanimously.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 am I think one of the things that irks people the most is Bonnen picked this particular dem legislator to chair the committee. Unfortunately, idiotic actions from a few reinforced Navarez's resolve regarding anti-gun and anti-carry legislation. Here is a reminder of what happened last session.

Just to be clear on the timeline of the Poncho confrontation, it happened in the 2015 session, not the last session. It was the session that we were trying to get open carry passed.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

tomtexan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:19 pm
mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 am I think one of the things that irks people the most is Bonnen picked this particular dem legislator to chair the committee. Unfortunately, idiotic actions from a few reinforced Navarez's resolve regarding anti-gun and anti-carry legislation. Here is a reminder of what happened last session.

Just to be clear on the timeline of the Poncho confrontation, it happened in the 2015 session, not the last session. It was the session that we were trying to get open carry passed.
Not sure it really matters if it was the last or the one before last. I guess I should have said a previous session. Regardless, the consequences are the same.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Bill Anderson

Post by Bill Anderson »

Is this the same Poncho Nevarez who threatened to attack another legislator who reported illegal aliens to ICE?

Bill Anderson

Post by Bill Anderson »

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”