What does cocked and locked mean to you?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What does cocked and locked mean to you?

Post by Lynyrd »

One in the pipe, hammer back, safety on. And my 1911 is always in that condition unless I am cleaning it.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on! COCKED AND LOCKED! Had no other meaning to me and 1911 fits the bill!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

KLB wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm
lock and load

(verb expression) Short for locking the magazine/cartridge into the gun and loading the ammunition into the gun's chamber. (Usu. used to show toughness, ambition, fear and other strong characteristics. Originally spoken by John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima" as "load and lock".
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... k and load

So is the above definition incorrect or does "lock" mean different things in different expressions?
I would not use an urban dictionary to define technical terms. See the post from https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 9#p1239367
:tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

It means.... don’t mess with me.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The Sig P226 X5 and all of their P2xx SAO pistols can be carried cocked and locked.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Cocked and locked to me has always been directly associated with a 1911 but I suppose any pistol with a hammer and external safety can be put in that position. A Glock on there other hand is either loaded or it’s not. Granted it can’t physically fire unless the trigger is pulled but still it’s not cocked and locked.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I would only use the term cocked and locked to refer to a 1911 or similar single action auto. I have always thought the term locked meant that the slide was in battery with a round in the chamber, based on my military training. I was always taught that the proper term for readying a rifle on the military range was to load and lock, with load meaning to insert a magazine into the weapon and lock being to allow the slide to go forward making the weapon ready to fire.

But, I can see how it could be used to signify that the safety is on also. I have no argument there. I just cannot see how any Glock could ever be called cocked.

And, for an aside, it looks like the term locked has changed meanings many times over the years. According to this article on it, the term locked and loaded was first used in the late 1700s in reference to flintlock rifles. It makes sense to me that it had a different meaning them because the question would refer to having the flint in position to be used. Fortunately, we no longer need to worry about that use of the term.
Steve Rothstein

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Lynyrd wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:40 pm One in the pipe, hammer back, safety on. And my 1911 is always in that condition unless I am cleaning it.
Same here. Sounds like we have a 1911 wantabe with a Glock. "rlol"
CHL since 01/26/09

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What does cocked and locked mean to you?
It means my hat's on sideways, and my wife has locked me out of the house. :mrgreen:

....again.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”