Dog attack in St. Petersburg - OK to Shoot Attacking Dog ?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dog attack in St. Petersburg - OK to Shoot Attacking Dog ?

Post by LeonCarr »

Is an attacking dog capable of inflicting death or serious bodily injury?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 4

Post by imkopaka »

LeonCarr wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 pm Is an attacking dog capable of inflicting death or serious bodily injury?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
(46) "Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury that creates a substantial risk of death or that causes death, serious permanent disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ.
Can a dog bite on the arm cause permanent loss of function to the hand? Can a dog mauling your face cause serious permanent disfigurement? I won't post pictures because they're gory and would probably violate forum rules, but the short answer is YES: an attacking dog is ABSOLUTELY capable of inflicting death or serious bodily injury.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Caliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Caliber »

The quote above of Serious Bodily Injury is a definition from Penal Code Chapter 1. But the laws sometime refer to an "actor" (causing serious bodily injury) which by definition is a person, not a dog. And, a "person" can be an individual, corporation, or association.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Caliber wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am The quote above of Serious Bodily Injury is a definition from Penal Code Chapter 1. But the laws sometime refer to an "actor" (causing serious bodily injury) which by definition is a person, not a dog. And, a "person" can be an individual, corporation, or association.
I'm curious to see where you got your definition of "actor" from. I can think of no reason why a dog cannot be the actor in an attack.

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

imkopaka wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Caliber wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am The quote above of Serious Bodily Injury is a definition from Penal Code Chapter 1. But the laws sometime refer to an "actor" (causing serious bodily injury) which by definition is a person, not a dog. And, a "person" can be an individual, corporation, or association.
I'm curious to see where you got your definition of "actor" from. I can think of no reason why a dog cannot be the actor in an attack.
If you look at Penal Code Chapter 1 where you found the def of Serious Bodily Injury, it states:
(2) "Actor" means a person whose criminal responsibility is in issue in a criminal action. Whenever the term "suspect" is used in this code, it means "actor."
(38) "Person" means an individual, corporation, or association.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

imkopaka wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Dogs are not people. They are property. They only rights they are entitled to are the rights of their owner as property. They can't vote, they can't sue, but can be sold and bought.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare69 »

If any animal is threatening the life, health, or safety of you or your family, then you’re justified in stopping the threat be any means necessary. Good can of Fox Labs 5.3 OC spray works really well.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Darn legal definitions. In plain English "actor" simply means a participant in an action. :grumble

Topic author
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Thanks for the replies....good stuff.

My mind was made up near to 40 years ago regarding dogs. I was roughnecking one summer and staying with my old widow great aunt in Buffalo, Texas. I got home from the rig one night after the 12 hours.

A big mean Doberman right next door had got out and knocked a little girl off her bike and pinned her to the ground. The dog did not bite her but it was bad.

I was biding my time after that till that dog got loose again....never happened.

gamboolman... :txflag:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

Topic author
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Here's a new one on why we should be carrying with big dogs around. No one had a decent weapon to assist the Mail Man :banghead:

gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”