British Couple (Joel & Lia) Go Shooting

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

British Couple (Joel & Lia) Go Shooting

Post by G26ster »

Like this couple's Youtube channel so here they are in Austin shooting handguns for the first time!

\

jb2012

Re: British Couple (Joel & Lia) Go Shooting

Post by jb2012 »

*triggers flashbacks of having guns pointed at me everyday working at a range

lol I know everyone has to learn on their own, doesn't make it any easier for me.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

uh, did I miss the part where the Golden Rules of Gun Safety were explained, repeated, and reviewed before putting guns in their hands?
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I remember when Britain was Great. Good for them for being willing to try it out, but when the zombie apocalypse happens, they’re gonna die.

Now, why didn’t the guy behind the counter start them with a .22, like he should have?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mayor

Post by mayor »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm I remember when Britain was Great. Good for them for being willing to try it out, but when the zombie apocalypse happens, they’re gonna die.

Now, why didn’t the guy behind the counter start them with a .22, like he should have?
And, when I started my boys out with semi auto, I only put 1 round it the magazine until they had an idea of what to expect.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mayor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:04 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm I remember when Britain was Great. Good for them for being willing to try it out, but when the zombie apocalypse happens, they’re gonna die.

And, when I started my boys out with semi auto, I only put 1 round it the magazine until they had an idea of what to expect.
Exactly. There’s a REASON that the world’s premier gun-safety organization - the NRA - starts students off that way in basic pistol classes.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm Now, why didn’t the guy behind the counter start them with a .22, like he should have?
Exactly! And shoot at an outdoor range.

Chas.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:43 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm Now, why didn’t the guy behind the counter start them with a .22, like he should have?

Chas.
That’s how and where I was taught.

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

I wonder if customs let them keep the coozie when they went home? :biggrinjester:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Chas.
I am not a professional gun trainer. I have only introduced newbies to handguns one on one.
I've never been a fan of .22 handguns ( love the rifle though) and have introduced a few people to shooting over the years. 9mm recoil isn't isn't much of an issue with a full sized gun. Usually I have them shoot a Beretta 92. If a 2nd lieutenant can shoot 'em safely so can a 10 year old.
Before we start shooting. I go over the 4 rules, explain them clearly.
I go over loading and the operation and functions. Trigger and muzzle discipline.
I have the shooter use double ear protection.
An outside range. Not only is it not as noisy, I can usually get a lane with buffering to both sides. and there is more room for me to give guidance and instruction.
One round magazines. 3 or four shots, then move up to 2 rounds before I let them shoot a whole magazine. I pay close attention to grip.
Everyone I have let shoot have found it to be a positive experience. No one has swept me. most found it very satisfying. Most of the were from restrictive states and had never held any sort of gun before. 5 or 8 of them eventually got their LTC/CHL. None of them had that intention when they first went to the range with me.

I do tend to start people off with a .22 if I am introducing them to a rifle, although I wouldn't be adverse to starting off with a an AR15. My .22 has iron sights and I prefer starting off with them. My .308 is a bolt action, I probably wouldn't let a newbie shoot that, because of the recoil issues.

My point is though, recoil doesn't seem to be an intimidating issue for full sized 9mm or .380. It's the bang that causes flinches. There is no reason that it should be stressful for a firstimer. I don't see much benefit of starting off with a .22 except maybe ammo cost. I don't shoot more than a box with a first timer. Maybe if I had a .22 handgun I would start them off with that, but the 9mm seems to have worked well.

The only time I've been swept at a range is by a CHL qualification class, where the training class was waving their issued handguns carelessly while the instructor was oblivious.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

mayor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Appears they were doing the one round a few times. At least a couple of times there was slide lock after one shot. After her bullseye for example. It's obvious they did a lot more than what was shown in the video.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Malawler wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 pm I wonder if customs let them keep the coozie when they went home? :biggrinjester:
Do you mean the camera case? "rlol"
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

If nothing else that video was really entertaining...
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Cory & Erika 2.0

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

:iagree: My exact thought!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”