This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

HB 1078 - License Fees waived for people certified to perform CPR

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB1078

Waive Drivers License and LTC fees for an applicant who "submits to the department satisfactory evidence that the applicant holds a current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation issued by the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, or another nationally recognized association."

TxAzn

Re: HB 1078 - License Fees waived for people certified to perform CPR

Post by TxAzn »

oooh I think I like this one! As an RN, I am already required to have CPR cert so I think it will help more healthcare professionals obtain and maintain their LTC!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

If they really want to encourage certification, they should eliminate drivers license fees for the certified.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Skooter

Post by Skooter »

Liberty wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 am If they really want to encourage certification, they should eliminate drivers license fees for the certified.
Read the Bill....... That's in there :clapping:
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

I got a CPR card so I could ignore 30.06 signs but waived license fees would be icing on the cake.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Skooter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:18 am
Liberty wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 am If they really want to encourage certification, they should eliminate drivers license fees for the certified.
Read the Bill....... That's in there :clapping:
I didn't see that :???: a good bill, but may have a better chance of passing if the just reduced the fees by $10 bucks or so.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Gator Guy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 am I got a CPR card so I could ignore 30.06 signs but waived license fees would be icing on the cake.
I just got my CPR card a week ago (Going to try and go into an lvn/rn program at the beginning of the year). How does having a cpr card allow you to ignore 30.06?
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

José Shalom

Post by José Shalom »

It makes sense. They already waive fees for military, so why not waive fees for civilians who volunteer to save lives.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

CrimsonSoul wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 am
Gator Guy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 am I got a CPR card so I could ignore 30.06 signs but waived license fees would be icing on the cake.
I just got my CPR card a week ago (Going to try and go into an lvn/rn program at the beginning of the year). How does having a cpr card allow you to ignore 30.06?
It doesn't. Although some people think it does.
IMO, just because you have a CPR card does not make you fit the definition of "volunteer emergency services personnel".
If you're not part of a more formal volunteer organization of some sort, good luck invoking 30.06/07 (f).

Just my opinion. Feel free to be a test case. I could certainly be wrong.

Emphasis mine.
https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code ... 30-06.html
(f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder is volunteer emergency services personnel, as defined by Section 46.01.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code ... 46-01.html
(18) “Volunteer emergency services personnel” includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code , and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 am
IMO, just because you have a CPR card does not make you fit the definition of "volunteer emergency services personnel".
If you're not part of a more formal volunteer organization of some sort, good luck invoking 30.06/07 (f).

Emphasis mine.
(f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder is volunteer emergency services personnel, as defined by Section 46.01.

(18) “Volunteer emergency services personnel” includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code , and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations.
Thank you for posting the text so everybody can see the law clearly says any individual who... not a member of a formal volunteer emergency services organization of some sort who... despite what some people think.

:tiphat:
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Gator Guy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:17 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 am

Emphasis mine.

Thank you for posting the text so everybody can see the law clearly says any individual who... not a member of a formal volunteer emergency services organization of some sort who... despite what some people think.

:tiphat:
I hope you never have that theory tested.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Reported favorably as substituted, anyone have the new text?
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

TxAzn wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:18 pm oooh I think I like this one! As an RN, I am already required to have CPR cert so I think it will help more healthcare professionals obtain and maintain their LTC!
The committee substitute now excludes you from having your license fees waived because you're required to have a CPR cert for your job
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

ELB

Post by ELB »

CrimsonSoul wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am

The committee substitute now excludes you from having your license fees waived because you're required to have a CPR cert for your job
Hmm. I wonder:

- Does that apply to volunteer firefighters? My department requires (and pays for) each of us to take CPR training for medical providers. Is requiring a CPR cert a "condition of employment" if the "employment" is as a volunteer firefighter who receives no pay?

- The waiver on fees also does not apply if you have an occupational license that requires you to have a CPR certification. Volunteer Fire Department EMTs are required to have a state license -- so are they not eligible for the fee waiver?
USAF 1982-2005

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

On the calander for 4/17/19
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”