How can I confirm who owns property (private vs publicly owned)

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

How can I confirm who owns property (private vs publicly owned)

Post by Scott in Houston »

I'm having to go to the Alley Theater in Houston, and it's posted, but I'm 99% sure it's publicly owned property, therefore illegally posted.
How can I find a "list" or a confirmation of what is owned by the county/city/state, etc?

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How can I confirm who owns property (private vs publicly owned)

Post by Pawpaw »

Have you tried the county appraisal district website?

http://hcad.org/
Last edited by Pawpaw on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:50 pm Have you tried the county appraisal district website?
I haven't, but great idea.

And now that I read it, my first thought is "duh!" :lol:

Tejas59
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tejas59 »

A quick answer is to check the county appraisal district website. CAD's can sometimes be incorrect if the property changed hands recently, but are usually useful. In this case hcad.org shows the owner as "Alley Theatre". My guess would be it's a non-profit corporation that owns the theater...but that's all I have, a guess. You'd have to research the entity "Alley Theatre" to find out more...

Looks like Pawpaw and me were thinking alike and typing at the same time. Clearly he has faster fingers :cool:
Last edited by Tejas59 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Tejas59 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 pm A quick answer is to check the county appraisal district website. CAD's can sometimes be incorrect if the property changed hands recently, but are usually useful. In this case hcad.org shows the owner as "Alley Theatre". My guess would be it's a non-profit corporation that owns the theater...but that's all I have, a guess. You'd have to research the entity "Alley Theatre" to find out more...
Thank you. I was just doing that, and that's what I'm finding. It's definitely a non-profit organization, but I'm amazed that they own the building. From what I can tell, they very well may.

HD76

Post by HD76 »

If you look at the class code for the property, it will tell you if the property is government or not. ‘XV’ is ‘other exempt(government)’. Alley Theater property is classified as XV. Probably another of those hybrid public/private ventures like Discovery Green park.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

HD76 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:39 pm If you look at the class code for the property, it will tell you if the property is government or not. ‘XV’ is ‘other exempt(government)’. Alley Theater property is classified as XV. Probably another of those hybrid public/private ventures like Discovery Green park.
Ah... interesting. Thank you. Well, it seems illegally posted based on that information.
I don't expect our AG to do anything about it, but I plan to write the appropriate letters now...

Tejas59

Post by Tejas59 »

I'm not an expert on property codes for tax purposes but thought XV is just a property that doesn't fit in other exempt categories. Could be church, non-profits, charities, and such?

HD76

Post by HD76 »

Tejas59 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:35 pm I'm not an expert on property codes for tax purposes but thought XV is just a property that doesn't fit in other exempt categories. Could be church, non-profits, charities, and such?
I looked it up, and I was incorrect in my statement. You are correct, XV is exempt properties for multiple different reasons. When you look up a property in HCAD, they will list the reason for the XV designation next to it. So "Other Exempt (Goverment)" is the XV code to look for when checking for government property. There is also (Charitable), (Religious), (Cemetery), and (Historical).

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The county appraisal database is of course the last word regarding property ownership, but can be a royal pain in the anatomy to use sometimes. if they offer a map based search, I usually use that rather than searching by street name, number, etc.

A sometimes convenient shortcut, if the location is something high profile like a park, museum, event venue, etc is to simply look it up on wikipedia. The entry for it often includes the type of info you're looking for. A close second is sometimes the entity's own website, particulary if the actual operator is a 501c3 entity.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

A few minutes googling shows it's owned by a private NPO.

Carry at your own risk, at worst you get asked to leave if someone notices.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”