Don't Trust Your Life on Magpull Glock Mags

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ORIGINAL TEX
Posts in topic: 1

Don't Trust Your Life on Magpull Glock Mags

Post by ORIGINAL TEX »

Going back to all factory Glock magazines. I have now had two Magpull magazines repeatedly fail on me by not holding onto the top round well enough - resulting in a stove pipe of a fresh round. Neither of these magazines are all that old or have had that many rounds through them. I have about five of them, and apparently the polymer lips wore or have spread over time. I guess they will be OK for the range but IMHO not for matches or self defense. Anyone else have an issue like this?

I also have Magpull AR mags, but I don't shoot my AR that much. Also have metal GI AR mags and it is much harder to press up on the tip of the top round and get it to dislodge in the metal mags. Any one had any issues with the Magpull AR mags?

LeonCarr

Re: Don't Trust Your Life on Magpull Glock Mags

Post by LeonCarr »

I have had the exact same experience.

I am a Magpul fanboy, I really like their stuff, but I also will be sticking with Factory Glock Magazines.

My Magpul AR Magazines have had no issues. None.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Last edited by LeonCarr on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

Magpul AR mags have been reliable. In fact they are so reliable, Magpul won a military contract with the Marines.

Maybe it's just your Block, I mean Glock :biggrinjester:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

jason812 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:01 am Magpul AR mags have been reliable. In fact they are so reliable, Magpul won a military contract with the Marines.

A military contract just means they were the cheapest. The bean counters don’t take “ real world “ functioning into account.

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

WTR wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 am
jason812 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:01 am Magpul AR mags have been reliable. In fact they are so reliable, Magpul won a military contract with the Marines.

A military contract just means they were the cheapest. The bean counters don’t take “ real world “ functioning into account.
This could be true and maybe they supplied the best they could make for the torture tests. I haven't had problems with Magpul AR mags but I have some GI steel ones that will cause jams.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

flechero

Post by flechero »

ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:44 am I have now had two Magpull magazines repeatedly fail on me by not holding onto the top round well enough - resulting in a stove pipe of a fresh round.
I kept a known bad mag for range use... it forces me to fix stoppages on occasion without knowing that a dummy round is in a particular mag. Not regular enough to expect it, but often enough to keep me honest. Of course the usefulness of this depends on where you shoot.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

No issues so far with my Magpul AR mags, I've never used them in anything else, so I can't give an opinion.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I've loaded up on Magpul Glock mags, but they are strictly for range use. My carry guns get 100% factory mags.
NRA lifetime member

Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

I was just eyeballing some Magpull mags for my G19. :confused5

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I don't have a Glock so no comments there. The AR magazines have been flawless in my ARs. I used to shoot 3 gun and now shoot carbine matches every month (when the match is not rained out). I have 6 of AR magazines that I have used for these matches, practice and training classes and have had not had a single issue with any of them. Have had this same group of magazines in this service for about 9 years. I have been using the Gen 2 magazines and understand that the Gen 3 are better. Most of the ones I own have the window in them so that one can see the rounds available but I never look at that. Not sure I would spend the extra money on the window version for future purchases.

I would be surprised that they are less expensive than the USGI aluminum magazines. That is not the case for us civilians. I think the Marines wanted a better product. I hear that our military personnel overseas were buying the Magpul magazines and ditched the aluminum because of the superior performance of the Magpul. If that is the case, better to just purchase the right product up front.
Last edited by LTUME1978 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The only aftermarket mags I use are Wilson’s combat with my 1911 and Magpul with my AR’s. Other than those I always use factory magazines.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I had a couple non-factory Glock mags but got rid of them when I sold a Glock mag style Sub-2000. They weren't Magpul, some Korean brand I think. I would never have trusted them for anything other than range use.
All the mags for my Ruger PC Carbine are Glock factory ones, never had an issue.

As for Magpul AR mags, I have lots of them and never had a mag related failure (albeit my AR experience is limited to past two-three years). Also have a bunch of Palmetto branded aluminum AR mags as well.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:44 am Going back to all factory Glock magazines. I have now had two Magpull magazines repeatedly fail on me by not holding onto the top round well enough - resulting in a stove pipe of a fresh round. Neither of these magazines are all that old or have had that many rounds through them. I have about five of them, and apparently the polymer lips wore or have spread over time. I guess they will be OK for the range but IMHO not for matches or self defense. Anyone else have an issue like this?

I also have Magpull AR mags, but I don't shoot my AR that much. Also have metal GI AR mags and it is much harder to press up on the tip of the top round and get it to dislodge in the metal mags. Any one had any issues with the Magpull AR mags?
I’ve been using Magpul AR mags for a iittle over a decade now, and I’ve never had a single magazine-related malfunction. I have had a couple of feed malfunctions with milspec metallic mags. I only have one Magpul Glock magazine - a G17 mag that came with my Keltec Sub-2000. I haven’t personally had a malfunction with it, but I have read complaints online about the Magpul Glock mags - the issue apparently being the strength of the feed lips.

But you can absolutely rely on the AR mags. In fact, if I’m not mistaken, the Magpul magazines are the only ones currently authorized for use by the USMC in M16/M4 rifles.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Post by strogg »

No manufacturer is perfect. I do run strictly Magpul magazines for my AR platforms, though, with the exception of the 300blk. I use Amend2 for those because I needed an FDE magazine that will, with modifications, work with my reloads. Everything 300BLK related is in FDE so I don't accidentally mix my ammo/mags. Anyhow, all of the Magpul mags have run flawlessly except for one mag which has caused weird malfunctions in both my AR15 and my AK that takes AR mags. I thought at first it was the rifles, but upon closer inspection, it was always happening in the same magazine. For some reason, it would feed the right hand rounds a bit diagonally and angled, which would cause the casing to bend and jam in the AR and the bullet to go head first into the trunnion on the AK. I have since removed the magazine from the rotation, and all is well again. It was very odd.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”