Company Email - No Guns in Cars

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TheSinistral
Posts in topic: 1

Company Email - No Guns in Cars

Post by TheSinistral »

I know a guy whose company sent out an email titled "Workplace Safety" that said unless otherwise provided by law, <deleted> workplaces include the buildings in which we work as well as the parking areas of <deleted> workplaces. This means that you are prohibited from keeping a licensed firearm in your personal or rented vehicle while at a <deleted> workplace.

Admittedly it is a global company and the email also included that caviat about the law. To be safe he emailed the company's legal counsel referencing SB 321. Counsel agreed that LTC holder is exempt from that policy in this state and that email does not apply.

It pays know the law! You could get run over if you don't.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Company Email - No Guns in Cars

Post by Flightmare »

Yup! State law trumps company policy.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

TheSinistral wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 am I know a guy whose company sent out an email titled "Workplace Safety" that said unless otherwise provided by law, <deleted> workplaces include the buildings in which we work as well as the parking areas of <deleted> workplaces. This means that you are prohibited from keeping a licensed firearm in your personal or rented vehicle while at a <deleted> workplace.

Admittedly it is a global company and the email also included that caviat about the law. To be safe he emailed the company's legal counsel referencing SB 321. Counsel agreed that LTC holder is exempt from that policy in this state and that email does not apply.

I did not think you had to be a LTC holder for the law to apply.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

WTR wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:58 am
Yeah, the Employer Parking Lot Law is specifically for LTC holders.

LC §52.061. RESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

TheSinistral wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 am I know a guy whose company sent out an email titled "Workplace Safety" that said unless otherwise provided by law, <deleted> workplaces include the buildings in which we work as well as the parking areas of <deleted> workplaces. This means that you are prohibited from keeping a licensed firearm in your personal or rented vehicle while at a <deleted> workplace.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... /LA.52.htm
Sec. 52.061. RESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm
Ah, your Google Fu is strong my friend, but today, mine was faster :cheers2:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Vol Texan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 pm

LC §52.061. RESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.
Should have kept coloring. I think this also includes anyone that has a firearm in their car that can lawfully possess one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

State trumps company policy, but it's worth clarifying that federal trumps state, to the effect that the same thing is not true for employee parking lots that are part of federal properties, correct? And especially Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) parking lots, where many different rules apply. Do correct me if I'm mistaken.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Interblog wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:26 pm State trumps company policy, but it's worth clarifying that federal trumps state, to the effect that the same thing is not true for employee parking lots that are part of federal properties, correct? And especially Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) parking lots, where many different rules apply. Do correct me if I'm mistaken.
I believe you are correct. This is why I can't keep my firearm in my vehicle when I visit customer locations (ie Federal Prisons).

joe817

Post by joe817 »

C-dub wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:12 pm

Should have kept coloring. I think this also includes anyone that has a firearm in their car that can lawfully possess one.
:iagree: That's my take as well.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Interblog wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:26 pm State trumps company policy, but it's worth clarifying that federal trumps state, to the effect that the same thing is not true for employee parking lots that are part of federal properties, correct? And especially Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) parking lots, where many different rules apply. Do correct me if I'm mistaken.
There is no general federal law that prohibits keeping a firearm in your car on a Federal Government owned parking lot, or Foreign Trade Zone, (which are not owned by the US government). If you are thinking of 18 USC 925...it particularly excludes parking lots and requires a sign to be posted.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm
I believe you are correct. This is why I can't keep my firearm in my vehicle when I visit customer locations (ie Federal Prisons).
Not aware of a law that would prohibit you from doing so, unless perhaps you are parking at a Post Office which has a specific regulation in the CFR, which may or may not apply depending on the circumstances.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Now his company, unfortunately, knows or suspects he has a weapon in his vehicle parked at work.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

joe817 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:32 pm
C-dub wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:12 pm

:iagree: That's my take as well.
Correct; an LTC isn't required. In fact, we defeated an amendment that would have limited the parking lot protection to CHLs.

Chas.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I work for a global company too and they have the similar language in our policies. But I have not nor would I email my company's legal counsel for two reasons. The first states "otherwise provided by law" - so the email explicitly states he can have it in his car at work because of SB 321.

The second and main reason is that his friend has let the company know that he probably has a weapon in his vehicle. Not saying his company would act unethically, but Texas being a right to work state, what if he was let go because someone who now knows is anti-gun but they don't state that as the reason hew was let go? He would never know. Even with my co-workers that I trust and who are pro-gun, they do not know that I have mine locked in my car safe. Concealed is concealed.
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”