Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

EnyoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

Post by EnyoTX »

Moms Demand is at the capitol today. They also bussed in people from out of town. They'll no doubt be greeted warmly by certain Committee Chairs.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Much easier to attend rallies when big money groups pay for you to go there. Most of us pro-2A folks have jobs, and bills to pay, and no one footing the bill for us to go to the Capitol.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

1911 Raptor wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 am
EnyoTX wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:16 pm Moms Demand is at the capitol today. They also bussed in people from out of town. They'll no doubt be greeted warmly by certain Committee Chairs.

The squeaky wheel gets oil. While we sit around and do nothing. Would be nice to have a rally of our own on a Saturday.

I would attend.
Good idea!

Fitting that the gun grabbers wore commie red.

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jeff Barriault

Post by Jeff Barriault »

I am most interested in SB117 this session. This is the bill that clarifies the school activity law that the Houston, Galveston County, and Brazoria County fair and rodeos have been hiding behind to post illegal 30.06 signs. Over the last couple years I have filed several complaints on these, but still see illegal 30.06 signs at the Houston Rodeo. The year before last Mark Henry actually contacted me concerning the Galveston County rodeo and had the signs removed without me having to file a complaint with the attorney general’s office. I’ve been on a crusade on this for the last few years so this bill is important to me.

I noticed that this bill is already moving. It has been read and referred to State Affairs. This is actually encouraging to me. Although I live in Bonnen’s district, I really haven’t thought much about him. He has always supported things that were important to me.

Perhaps we are overreacting. I don’t know. We will have to see how this session unfolds. If SB117 passes, I will consider it a huge success for our 2A rights. I’m growing weary of filing complaints that aren’t being addressed because of a loophole in the law that this bill should fix.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jeff Barriault wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am Perhaps we are overreacting. I don’t know. We will have to see how this session unfolds. If SB117 passes, I will consider it a huge success for our 2A rights. I’m growing weary of filing complaints that aren’t being addressed because of a loophole in the law that this bill should fix.
Yeah, we’ll find out definitively what putting venemously anti-gun democrats into the chairmanships of the committees which usually process gun legistiaion will do for us. Any negative result will be 100% on Bonnen’s shoulders. He didn’t HAVE to give hard lefties control of those committees.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roadkill »

Jeff Barriault wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am I am most interested in SB117 this session. This is the bill that clarifies the school activity law that the Houston, Galveston County, and Brazoria County fair and rodeos have been hiding behind to post illegal 30.06 signs. Over the last couple years I have filed several complaints on these, but still see illegal 30.06 signs at the Houston Rodeo. The year before last Mark Henry actually contacted me concerning the Galveston County rodeo and had the signs removed without me having to file a complaint with the attorney general’s office. I’ve been on a crusade on this for the last few years so this bill is important to me.

I noticed that this bill is already moving. It has been read and referred to State Affairs. This is actually encouraging to me. Although I live in Bonnen’s district, I really haven’t thought much about him. He has always supported things that were important to me.

Perhaps we are overreacting. I don’t know. We will have to see how this session unfolds. If SB117 passes, I will consider it a huge success for our 2A rights. I’m growing weary of filing complaints that aren’t being addressed because of a loophole in the law that this bill should fix.
Same with the San Antonio rodeo. This year I noticed they were randomly wanding people coming in. I’m willing to bet if this passes they’ll just not post but still deny entry if you set off a wand or the detector. How does one remedy that? It’s happening now at concerts and other venues with no clear remedy in sight. Disarm and enter or stay out and be irritated. Gonna probably take someone with money to file suit to get these incidences to stop. If you get them afraid of being sued and loosing thousands if not millions every time they violate someone’s rights maybe things will change. For now I’m just not that confident it will.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Aren't these rodeos classified as professional sporting events anyway, which by statute is prohibited from carrying anyway?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

joe817 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm Aren't these rodeos classified as professional sporting events anyway, which by statute is prohibited from carrying anyway?
Sure, the rodeo proper is. But not the livestock show, carnival rides, or concerts.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Vol Texan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 pm
joe817 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm Aren't these rodeos classified as professional sporting events anyway, which by statute is prohibited from carrying anyway?
Sure, the rodeo proper is. But not the livestock show, carnival rides, or concerts.
:iagree: :tiphat: Same as it is at the Ft.Worth Fat Stock Show and Exhibition.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

Does this surprise anyone?

https://texasscorecard.com/state/consti ... ens-house/
Constitutional Carry on the Ropes in Bonnen’s House?
The window is narrowing for the bill to receive a public hearing with enough time to survive the legislative process.

By
Destin Sensky
|
March 26, 2019
The March 18 post indicated Texas House Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee Chairman Poncho Nevarez (D–Eagle Pass), an appointee of Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, had told Stickland directly he was uncertain the bill would receive a public hearing at all. Even if it did, whether it would come soon enough to beat the 30-day calendar requirement to reach the floor was also uncertain, possibly providing a cop-out for leadership looking to absolve themselves of responsibility on the campaign trail next spring in Republican primary contests.

Now, several authors or coauthors in the Texas House are telling Texas Scorecard they have encouraged Nevarez to hold a hearing for the public to be able to voice their support and to allow the committee to vote on the bill.

“I firmly believe HB 357 should be brought up for a hearing and a vote before the Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety,” said Rep. Dewayne Burns (R–Cleburne). “I have consistently encouraged Chairman Nevarez to bring the bill forward, and hope he will do so,” Burns said.
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

EnyoTX wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:16 pm Moms Demand is at the capitol today. They also bussed in people from out of town. They'll no doubt be greeted warmly by certain Committee Chairs.

Apparently this guy counts activists like Democrats count votes. 1-2-3-40-41-42-43-44-45-50..........! That ain't 400 people by a long shot
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

1911 Raptor wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 am

The squeaky wheel gets oil. While we sit around and do nothing. Would be nice to have a rally of our own on a Saturday.

I would attend.
Saturday is part of the problem. My Representative happens to live next door. He is home on Saturdays. Why organize something when the audience is not there?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My sense is that Bonnen will lose his NRA “A” grade in one fell swoop after this session. What a catastrophe his speakership has turned out to be.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:01 pm My sense is that Bonnen will lose his NRA “A” grade in one fell swoop after this session. What a catastrophe his speakership has turned out to be.
We'll see. Not sure how they take into account such as this since they use recorded votes and published positions on gun issues. I understand them trying to keep their ratings as objective as possible but as long as reps can hide behind not voting and killing bills in committee with them getting a vote, I do not know how they will change the system to consider such.

Hopefully, they'll figure something out.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”