Should we abolish the Electoral College?

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Should we abolish the Electoral College?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here’s the bottom line: if you want NY and CA to have the authority to lawfully disarm you here in Texas, then amend the Constitution to remove the Electoral College.

Not only do I NOT want to see the EC abolished, but I would very much like to see CA & NY expelled from the Union.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BigGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 pm Here’s the bottom line: if you want NY and CA to have the authority to lawfully disarm you here in Texas, then amend the Constitution to remove the Electoral College.

Not only do I NOT want to see the EC abolished, but I would very much like to see CA & NY expelled from the Union.
There is a line in Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff." "Most military people don't think of New York as part of the United States."
I think you and he are both correct.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Jason Todd wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:29 pm
jason812 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:29 pm Not only should we not abolish the electoral college, we should abolish the 17th amendment. The Senate was suppose to be the representative of the states and the house the people. Imagine if there were no 17th amendment. How many red states are there? The libs would be a permanent minority. The 17th amendment was one of the many tools used by the progressives to take over the country.
Looking at the Speakers elected by the Legislature these past ten years, I don't want them picking our US Senators.
We nearly had Irish Bob as our senator.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

rotor

Post by rotor »

In actuality it won't make any difference. The Democrats basic plan is to massively increase the Hispanic population knowing they tend to vote Democratic and eventually they will take control anyway. 12 million illegals here now (perhaps more) and their born in the USA children (they are prolific) will almost certainly vote democratic.

My vote is for a Kingdom and I want to pick the king. Y'all would like my choice.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

TAM,

My knowledge of CA is limited but my experiences in traveling to the small towns and rural areas of Upstate NY tell me that the Upstate part of NY is much like the conservative side of Texas. They would very much like to see New York City float off into the Atlantic Ocean and disappear forever.

The large cities are our problem. Liberals congregate there where they all think they know better how to live life and rule the "troglodytes" of the rest of the country. Our Founding Fathers worried that some day the people of this country would congregate in large cities as they had in Europe. Their concerns have come to pass.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 pm Here’s the bottom line: if you want NY and CA to have the authority to lawfully disarm you here in Texas, then amend the Constitution to remove the Electoral College.

:iagree: Expel the entire left coast and Austin, TX.

Rancid Crabtree

Post by Rancid Crabtree »

I saw this rear its ugly head in the headlines this week. As many have mentioned the elimination of the Electoral College (EC) has been a rallying cry of the left for about two decades now. I’m glad bblhd672 mentioned the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in this thread, a cynical attempt by the left to remove the Electoral College. This National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is making it’s way through state legislatures with varying degrees of success. My opinion is it’s nothing more than a leftist scheme to destroy the Electoral College without having to go through the Amendment process.
As to…exercises, I advise the gun…it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I expect this might be a trigger for CW2.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 pm No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay
Of course. The Constitution. Why didn’t I think of that. The ultimate law of the land. No one would dare do anything counter to the Constitution or BOR. They could never get away with it SCOTUS would slap the effort down especially with all of the conservative judges Trump added. And you can’t forget about that stalwart Justice Roberts.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rancid Crabtree wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm I saw this rear its ugly head in the headlines this week. As many have mentioned the elimination of the Electoral College (EC) has been a rallying cry of the left for about two decades now. I’m glad bblhd672 mentioned the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in this thread, a cynical attempt by the left to remove the Electoral College. This National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is making it’s way through state legislatures with varying degrees of success. My opinion is it’s nothing more than a leftist scheme to destroy the Electoral College without having to go through the Amendment process.
It's notable that Nevada's democrat governor vetoed their "popular vote" bill which would commit their electoral votes to whomever won the popular vote. He rightly said that Nevada's electoral votes represented Nevada's sovereignty as a state, and that he wouldn't allow the state to commit to a plan that would let other states dictate how Nevada's electoral votes would be allocated.

Story here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-gov ... ular-vote/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rancid Crabtree

Post by Rancid Crabtree »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:03 pm
Rancid Crabtree wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm I saw this rear its ugly head in the headlines this week. As many have mentioned the elimination of the Electoral College (EC) has been a rallying cry of the left for about two decades now. I’m glad bblhd672 mentioned the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in this thread, a cynical attempt by the left to remove the Electoral College. This National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is making it’s way through state legislatures with varying degrees of success. My opinion is it’s nothing more than a leftist scheme to destroy the Electoral College without having to go through the Amendment process.
It's notable that Nevada's democrat governor vetoed their "popular vote" bill which would commit their electoral votes to whomever won the popular vote. He rightly said that Nevada's electoral votes represented Nevada's sovereignty as a state, and that he wouldn't allow the state to commit to a plan that would let other states dictate how Nevada's electoral votes would be allocated.

Story here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-gov ... ular-vote/
That’s very encouraging; I'm glad to see that he is clear-eyed about it despite the misinformation about its purpose. I'm hoping that more of our elected officials will look at this the same way. Here was the bill introduced in 2017 in Texas by Reps Ina Minjarez and Rep Celia Israel in 2017:
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... Bill=HB496

I think it's still sitting in committee, which hopefully means the circular file. I imagine there's going to be a pretty big push to jam this through the various state before the next election. Hopefully, it will get defeated state by state.
As to…exercises, I advise the gun…it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Federal”