Instructor Renewal

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

Instructor Renewal

Post by kg5ie »

I know it's early, but is there any rumor on how renewal will be handled this year? I'm wondering how they'll handle both instructor and school safety instructor expiring on the same day. :???:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Instructor Renewal

Post by paperchunker »

Instructor renewal should be all online this year.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mloamiller »

paperchunker wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 am Instructor renewal should be all online this year.
I can't find any information on the DPS/RSD site about renewals; the "Instructor Update" section still references the 2017 renewal. Do you have another source of information?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I really don't ever remember any information officially stated until the legislative session ends or is about to end.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Post by switch »

It's a 4 year cycle.

Every 4 years, we have to attend classes w/DPS (IIRC, we did that last cycle), Every other cycle, we just renew online. We'll probably have to demonstrate proficiency with other LTC instructors.

I don't recall there being any extra renewal steps required for instructors certified to teach school employees.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I will be in School Safety Instructor training in a week or so, I will ask them... but from my experience, the Trooper Trainers only know what they are told when they are told, so we will see.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

switch wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:32 pm It's a 4 year cycle.

Every 4 years, we have to attend classes w/DPS (IIRC, we did that last cycle), Every other cycle, we just renew online. We'll probably have to demonstrate proficiency with other LTC instructors.

I don't recall there being any extra renewal steps required for instructors certified to teach school employees.
School safety instructor certification is renewed when you renew your LTC Instructor Certificate. There are no additional requirements.
Chas.

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Here's a question for those more experienced instructors. Does the 6 month renewal window apply to instructor renewals too? in other words, should we be able to begin our renewal applications next month?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:27 pm
switch wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:32 pm It's a 4 year cycle.

School safety instructor certification is renewed when you renew your LTC Instructor Certificate. There are no additional requirements.
Chas.

With some of the email reminders they've been sending out to the SSC instructors, maybe there should be! :mrgreen:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I talked with DPS yesterday about a different subject but this did come up. Told me that LTC Instructor notification will be sent in early July. Renewal will be online and proficiency should be done with other instructors. School Safety Certifications will be renewed with LTC Instructor renewal as long as the LTC Instructor renewal is completed before the end of 2019. If the LTC Instructor renewal lapses the School Safety Certification does not have the one year late renewal and it will expire and the School Safety Certification process will have to start over.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

Renewal should be online with no proficiency this year. Every other renewal is completely online.
NRA/LTC Instructor

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Post by switch »

We will have to show proficiency with a fellow instructor. The first time we renewed 'online', we did not have to demonstrate proficiency. Since then, ever renewal (every 2 years),we've had to shoot.

deertrax

Post by deertrax »

I again checked the RSD website and logged in as a returning user. The Instructor Renewal link was available for me. I completed the renewal application and submitted the required documentation.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Certified RSO & Instructor (Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun), NRA Member, TSRA Member

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

switch wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:56 pm We will have to show proficiency with a fellow instructor. The first time we renewed 'online', we did not have to demonstrate proficiency. Since then, ever renewal (every 2 years),we've had to shoot.
From Forum Nov 2015
Re: New instructor info on website!
#14 Unread post by n5wd » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:49 pm
infoman wrote:
Only things needed for Dec '15 instructor renewals: pay $100 fee, & send CHL-90 form. No class, no shooting, no video, no online exam.
Correction: needed:
pay $100 fee
send CHL-90 form with proof of pistol instructor status from recognized agency/organization

Just got my renewal email from DPS RSD_LRS_CHL last night:
The following information is being provided for those Instructors with a certificate that expires on December 31, 2015.
· Renewal applications may be submitted online at: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/. Please select “returning user” and enter the requested information.
· After the application has been completed and the fee is paid, form CHL-90 must be submitted along with the required supporting documents. The form can be downloaded from our website at: http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-90.pdf
· You may submit the completed form and supporting documents by Email or fax to 512-424-7284 (Attn: Instructor) Reminder: Supporting documentation must include proof of a current valid firearms instructor certification.
· Once the completed application has been received and the background checks are completed, a new certificate will be mailed.
Instructors will not be required to attend retraining classes in person and no proficiency demonstration (shooting) will be required for this renewal period. Updated training material including a revised course outline, student test and key, and a revised CHL-100 will be posted on our website prior to January 1, 2016. An email will be sent to Instructors advising when the revised materials are available on our website.

Please note: If you have already applied for renewal and submitted the required documents, you will be notified by email if further information is required. If no additional items are required, you will receive a new certificate by mail in the near future.

Legislative updates related to Handgun Licensing can be found on our website at: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/L ... lation.htm. Please continue to monitor our website for updated Frequently Asked Questions.

Regulatory Services Division

Licensing and Registration Service

Proficiency was not required in 2015. Was required in 2017, will not be required in 2019
NRA/LTC Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”