DPS Body Cam Footage Confirms Dennis Bonnen Lies

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Re: DPS Body Cam Footage Confirms Dennis Bonnen Lies

Post by flechero »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 am
bblhd672 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 am So Bonnen lied/exaggerated/mischaracterized/politicized whatever you want to call it. Most politicians do that without a second thought.

What Bonnen didn't lie about was McNutt going to his and other legislators homes while they were in Austin for the legislative session. And that is the crux of what McNutt did to reflect badly upon himself and law abiding gun owners in Texas who want less restrictions on their 2nd Amendment rights. That he did it in the nicest, gentlest manner possible doesn't mean he was right in doing it.

No elected official is going to go after the Speaker in an effort to oust him during the legislative session over this.
:iagree: What he did and how he did it are examples of passive aggressive behavior. He drove across the state to show up at their homes and neighborhoods while the legislators weren't home to let them know he and his followers know where they live.

What he did is a passive aggressive method of doxing and intimidation.
I'm surprised by these comments. So we should accept bonnen's slanderous behavior/character attack as fine/normal, but someone acting as a gentleman having a conversation with a State Trooper is problematic? :headscratch

I also missed the doxing and intimidation part? The trooper put the flier on the door, after a pleasant and light conversation. The fact the TXGR's own person delivered it is no more "intimidating" than hiring a person to go door to door.

Is this different than a politician sending political canvassers to my home asking for a vote. They have my address and know my name. Door hangers/fliers are now aggressive? I guess I should feel really threatened by about 50 different politicians.

:tiphat:

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RicoTX »

Let me guess, crickets from the other so called Republican politicians? Sad.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 12

Post by mojo84 »

Jason Todd wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:40 am
mojo84 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:40 pm Where are these Bonnen fanboys to whom you refer?
:roll:
Why roll your eyes at my question? It's a legitimate question. He mentioned Bonnen fanboys and I haven't seen any except those dems that benefit from him and his decisions.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

flechero wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:47 am
bblhd672 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 am So Bonnen lied/exaggerated/mischaracterized/politicized whatever you want to call it. Most politicians do that without a second thought.

What Bonnen didn't lie about was McNutt going to his and other legislators homes while they were in Austin for the legislative session. And that is the crux of what McNutt did to reflect badly upon himself and law abiding gun owners in Texas who want less restrictions on their 2nd Amendment rights. That he did it in the nicest, gentlest manner possible doesn't mean he was right in doing it.

No elected official is going to go after the Speaker in an effort to oust him during the legislative session over this.
:iagree: What he did and how he did it are examples of passive aggressive behavior. He drove across the state to show up at their homes and neighborhoods while the legislators weren't home to let them know he and his followers know where they live.

I'm surprised by these comments. So we should accept bonnen's slanderous behavior/character attack as fine/normal, but someone acting as a gentleman having a conversation with a State Trooper is problematic? :headscratch

I also missed the doxing and intimidation part? The trooper put the flier on the door, after a pleasant and light conversation. The fact the TXGR's own person delivered it is no more "intimidating" than hiring a person to go door to door.

Is this different than a politician sending political canvassers to my home asking for a vote. They have my address and know my name. Door hangers/fliers are now aggressive? I guess I should feel really threatened by about 50 different politicians.

Where have I indicated anything close to accepting Bonnen's slanderous behavior? Just because I disagree with McNutt driving across the state to show up at legislators' homes and publicizing it on the internet through his facebook group to thousands of his followers (doxing) doesn't mean I accept Bonnen's behavior. I have been against Bonnen before he was elected speaker and was blasted for it on here and scolded like a child. I think if you actually read my comments, some of which were part of a thread that has been locked or deleted, you would realize I take issue with how both men have handled themselves and the situation.

As McNutt said, he has thousands of followers in his facebook group and he has admitted to sharing the home information about 3 legislators through that group in order to put pressure on the legislators. The only reason he had a conversation with the trooper is because they intercepted him because McNutt has publicized his visit to two other legislators' homes and planned to visit Bonnen's. If he hadn't publicized his activities, the Troopers would not have been there in the first place.

Showing up at a political adversaries home when you know he is not home, which is private property, and publicizing it through the internet is not the same as sending something via mail or having random volunteer canvassers deliver something to be hung on a door. Just because you believe in the cause, doesn't mean the means is justified. Again, I am no fan of Bonnen and am in no way defending him, his actions, his comments or his conduct. I just do not agree with showing up at a political adversaries home, especially, when it is known he is not there.

Think of it this way. Let's say you and I have a serious disagreement over an issue and I am really upset that you disagree with me and then I happen to show up at your house to deliver a written explanation of my position. Oh, and I also deliver it to your neighbors hoping they would put pressure on you to agree with me. Then you find out I publicized it to 250,000+, or however many followers McNutt claims, would that change your opinion about me just canvassing your neighborhood?

Bottom line, Bonnen is a lying turncoat that played the system, got the power he wanted and then screwed many that supported him. McNutt crossed a line that he shouldn't have.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

1911 Raptor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:23 pm

I agree with you. We as free citizens of a free state have as much right to get our message out as the politicians. McNutt wasn’t confrontational and was handing out fliers. The DPS certainly didn’t see a problem with it.
Troopers didn't see a problem with it? Then why did they intercept him and take the flyer from him to put it on Bonnen's door rather than just telling McNutt to go ahead and put it on there?

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Just because some of us disagree with BOTH Bonnen and McNutt doesn't make us "Bonnen fan boys or Bonnen Brigade," any more than those who don't disagree with both are "McNutt fan boys or McNutt Brigade."

Insulting/name calling others forum members because they disagree, not with McNutt's message, but with his tactics is not helpful.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

What McNutt did is no different than me having a candidates sign in my yard and someone canvasing for another candidate put a flyer on my door, even if I was the candidate on the sign. The only issue I see whith what he did was he allowed Grisham to have his name on the video. That lost some credibility with me
What Bonnen did is an outright lie to everyone in this state and he should be investigated and prosecuted both criminally and civilly. Short of that, we need someone that won't be a turncoat to run against him in the next election and use this video to show his true colors.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Rule 4. "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules."

:patriot: :txflag:
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TreyHouston »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Where have I indicated anything close to accepting Bonnen's slanderous behavior? Just because I disagree with McNutt driving across the state to show up at legislators' homes and publicizing it on the internet through his facebook group to thousands of his followers (doxing) doesn't mean I accept Bonnen's behavior. I have been against Bonnen before he was elected speaker and was blasted for it on here and scolded like a child. I think if you actually read my comments, some of which were part of a thread that has been locked or deleted, you would realize I take issue with how both men have handled themselves and the situation.

As McNutt said, he has thousands of followers in his facebook group and he has admitted to sharing the home information about 3 legislators through that group in order to put pressure on the legislators. The only reason he had a conversation with the trooper is because they intercepted him because McNutt has publicized his visit to two other legislators' homes and planned to visit Bonnen's. If he hadn't publicized his activities, the Troopers would not have been there in the first place.

Showing up at a political adversaries home when you know he is not home, which is private property, and publicizing it through the internet is not the same as sending something via mail or having random volunteer canvassers deliver something to be hung on a door. Just because you believe in the cause, doesn't mean the means is justified. Again, I am no fan of Bonnen and am in no way defending him, his actions, his comments or his conduct. I just do not agree with showing up at a political adversaries home, especially, when it is known he is not there.

Think of it this way. Let's say you and I have a serious disagreement over an issue and I am really upset that you disagree with me and then I happen to show up at your house to deliver a written explanation of my position. Oh, and I also deliver it to your neighbors hoping they would put pressure on you to agree with me. Then you find out I publicized it to 250,000+, or however many followers McNutt claims, would that change your opinion about me just canvassing your neighborhood?

Bottom line, Bonnen is a lying turncoat that played the system, got the power he wanted and then screwed many that supported him. McNutt crossed a line that he shouldn't have.
I totally disagree with this statement. He and followers reached out several time without answer. Whats wrong with talking to his friends and neighbors? He is a politician! He is a public figure, not a Joe Blow! Please remember his wife said a group showed up with GUNS to his house to intimidate his family. None of that happened. If you come by my house (or anyone) i can call the cops and have them meet you too! That doesn’t mean you had ill intentions!

There are plenty of times Republicans addresses where published, neighbors talked to and fliers dropped off. I bet MOST that live around him don’t even know who he is. Perhaps if they did, they would try to talk to him as well!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

here's the biggest problem I have with any of this....
If any of us...OK, if any of YOU, because I'm a small grey haired woman, had done what Mr Bonnen did at the party last week to Mr McNutt, you would have ended up as a guest not of the Republican Party but of the City of Austin at the Jail....with charges of Assault. Because of who he is, well, that doesn't make me happy.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

SewTexas wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:47 pm here's the biggest problem I have with any of this....
If any of us...OK, if any of YOU, because I'm a small grey haired woman, had done what Mr Bonnen did at the party last week to Mr McNutt, you would have ended up as a guest not of the Republican Party but of the City of Austin at the Jail....with charges of Assault. Because of who he is, well, that doesn't make me happy.
I think that is a very fair and accurate observation. Mcnutt should file charges against him if he was indeed assaulted.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 16

Post by WildRose »

From what I understand he wasn't just going to the speaker's home and those of other legislators he was putting the fliers out in whole neighborhoods which doesn't constitute a threat against anyone.

He certainly couldn't have been any nicer during his interaction with the Troopers at Bonnen's house.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 16

Post by WildRose »

I'll have to disagree. Showing up with a mob at their homes would be doxing and intimidation. Walking neighborhoods alone putting out fliers certainly doesn't rise to that level.

Everything the legislature does affects us personally and in our homes, businesses, schools etc and they insulate themselves from the people they affect behind hordes of staffers and security.

When I first heard this story I thought what he did was inexcusable but now that the facts are out including the video I see nothing at all wrong with his actions.

Bonnen lied to us all and lied to his fellow republican legislators to gain the speakership and putting pressure on him to keep his word is completely reasonable as long as it's done peacefully.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”